Rearsets - why?

Jonny

A little background. I've been sport touring for a few years. Recently picked up an '08 CBR600RR. Took it to VIR South last weekend, and it's official, I'm slow as dirt. But I now have the bug and am heading to CMP next Saturday. As most in the beginner group, I'm working on body position and moving around on the bike.

So I walked around the paddock at VIR and noticed most people are running aftermarket rearsets. I understand that by moving the pegs back and up you get more ground clearance at full lean but is that the only benefit? I'm assuming that they are only moved back to compensate for the move up. I was thinking about getting some as it seems like I might be a bit more comfortable when I am fully tucked (I'm 6'1"). Would they help?

I'm mainly just trying to fully understand the advantage of them. Thanks.

maine11204

Theres many advantages. For one, they are ALOT more sturdy then stock. Also, most of the well known brands like, Vortex, Gillies, Woodcraft, sell replacement parts seperatly. So say you lowside your bike, with OEMs its likely the whole side will be ruined but with aftermarket you can just order the piece you broke or better yet already have a spar with you at the track. And to top it off, they look awesome.
Just my .02

BonesDT

Jonny;12114 wrote: I understand that by moving the pegs back and up you get more ground clearance at full lean but is that the only benefit? I'm assuming that they are only moved back to compensate for the move up.
Moving the pegs back gives you a more aggressive tuck position, something I really need for my sport/sport-tourer.

Rear sets will also give you the option of reversing the shift pattern so you press down to upshift (easier during leans) and pull up for downshifting, aka "GP shift", or you can keep the standard shift pattern.

Kevin42

Also, they are shorter then stock pegs which I like because I plant the ball of my boot on the edge of the peg. At least the Vortex ones are. My stock pegs are about an inch longer then the aftermarket ones and hard to position my boot the same way. I love the Vortex sets. Moonie has awesome prices on them if you are interested. Lighter, stronger, adjustable, totally worth it.

Jonny

Thanks guys. Good info. They will go on my 'list'. But first I think I'm going to have my suspesion overhauled. Little bike + fat dude = squishy

dialedn07

I've had the same problem for awhile now on my 07 ZX6R. I've done Roebling Rd, CMP, VIR S, and VIR N all without rearsets, but unfortunately, I had an incident at VIR S (T5) where my footpeg touched the ground and due to many things (body position, too much weight on inside peg, no rearsets, etc etc) it took just enough weight off the rear to slide it out and my bike went into Cartwheel mode.

I will give you this advice (which is my temporary fix) pull the feelers off the bottom of your pegs. Its definately not a complete fix, but can be a patch until you get the rearsets installed. It should give you about another inch of clearance....which is huge for B group riders.

Plus, if you sell your stock rearsets, it will help pay for close to half of your cost of the aftermarket ones.

Good Luck