Ride Share general question

wesmith443

So what if I share my truck and trailer with a fellow nesbian on an out of state trip and he crashes out and is taken to the hospital (God forbid); I would feel obligated to take care of his bike and belongings and see to it he gets from the hospital---home. Would I be eligible for a credit if my weekend got cut short?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Good thought. I hadn't thought much about that. If it's someone you don't know very well, perhaps do the "what if" up front. The flip side is that if you crash, he's lost his ride home. I think the best thing to do is discuss it up front and reach an agreement. I had something similar happen several years ago. A guy we didn't know all that well crashed. He didn't know anyone else, so we ended up sitting with him at the hospital and we had to drive his car and trailer home. Luckily, there were two of us so we could do that. Don't know what he would've done otherwise.

Bottom line, always have a backup plan.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
It was many years ago with a different org. It happened in the afternoon of the second day, so we finished out the day, then went and got him at the ER and drove him and his stuff back to our place, then he had friends meet him and take it from there.

You raise a good point, and I think if anyone is doing ride sharing, especially with someone they don't know, the expectations should be discussed up front. I don't think I'd expect NESBA to issue me a credit because I decided I had to leave due to another rider's crash. Their policy is clear in that if it's you who crashes or has a mechanical, you get credit. I don't believe that extends to those who choose to leave to help. That may have to be a case-by-case situation discussed with the directors if the situation arises. Just my thoughts.

JohnS

If it is your good friend, you gotta eat the money. I will admit some of my friends are worth more then a track day or 2 (notice I said some). Example I was not even ride sharing, I was at the track with 2 of my buddies all in seperate trucks, I crashed right before lunch and needed transport to the hospital. They loaded up my stuff and went to the hospital and sat there all afternoon to make sure I was ok, and also bring me back to the track to get my truck.

During a ride share a few years later one of their bikes blew up the session before lunch, I said ok time to pack up. I just could not let him sit there the rest of the day with oil coming out of his bike while I tried to have fun.

I would not ride share with anyone I dont know. too many variables.

John

dolfnz67

I guess it's all about how you look at it. If I were to crash and suffered an injury that wasn't life threatening, I wouldn't want my friends to cut their day short just to sit and wait it out in the hospital. Chances are they could finish their day and probably still have to wait for me to get out. If for some reason I got out before the day was over, I'll give them a call to come pick me up.

However, when it comes to someone you don't know well, I agree with Judy. Definitely, speak about it before getting to the track!!

Control Rider
N2
Speak to the director at the event. We don't have a written policy for every possible scenario that can transpire, but I can guarantee that it will be handled appropriately.

twin ty

Unfortunately experienced this last year. Wont get into all the details but if he gets transported make sure you pack him up. Try to communicate with him and his family. Find out where he got transported to. Logistically its crazy. Internet access helps also. I wouldn't advise trying to ride the rest of the day, your head won't be in it. I didn't even ask for a credit because I was physically able to ride but decided not to. Hope this helps.

wesmith443

If i took someone to the track I would eat the cost even if I didnt know them. Im in MD so for Summitt and NJMP I would probably go back the next day. (If its the first day of a two day event) If it was for Road Atlanta or something I would probably be a little salty it if happened the first day. Things happen but I hate to deny someone the chance to get on the track because of this possible scenario. I remember when my truck was having issues two days before a track day and I thought about trying to hitch a ride but didnt want to be stuck if something happened.