Riding style question

snikwad

Ok, look at the vid below.
Look how the guy carries sooo much speed int o these sweepers and kinda lets off a little to make the bike set on the desired line then rolls on the power.

I realize my rookie ass dont know sh1t about riding, but he does it every corner, once he ups his pace.

Isnt that a no no, pretty much since it loads up the front tire a lot and increases the chances of losing it. or is it something thats commonly done in racing when you trust the front and you basically have no choice because you went in hot?

Is he essentially going in hot and coming out slow?
Is this something 600s are better at than 1000s and such?

check it out.... make me wanna go cop a R6 too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqdVvGxkrF8

Bluenvy

you just dont want to chop the throttle to the point where the front end dives and overloads the front tire. i roll off and on in turns sometimes, but its slow enough where the front doenst get loaded or unloaded all of a sudden

snikwad

Bluenvy;38728 wrote: you just dont want to chop the throttle to the point where the front end dives and overloads the front tire. i roll off and on in turns sometimes, but its slow enough where the front doenst get loaded or unloaded all of a sudden
yeah def not chopping.

Bluenvy

i watched it without sound becuase i was in the computer lab at school so i couldnt really hear what he was doing, i didnt see anything wrong. maybe i just cant see what you are trying to describe

snikwad

i guess i was just amazed that he goes in so hot he has to be off throttle damn near to the apex, i mean you can see his speed going down, then as he stops going wide and gets the line he wants, he rolls on the power.

i always thought it was a no no to load the front that much, as it already has a great load and a smaller contact patch.

hank

I'll have to watch it again, however, I never noticed the nose pitching downward while in any of the corners and there is no abrupt engine braking on an I4 600 - especially while in the upper RPM register... and I didn't note the front pushing anywhere, so it didn't appear to be loading the front near the limit.

As mentioned above, as long as one is smooth with the brakes, there is no reason why you couldn't trail brake up to (and even in some situations past the apex) if that is what's needed.

A properly sorted bike with a skilled rider is a beautiful thing!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
holy shit....i must have small huevos...cuz it definitely seemed like he was whipping that bitch into T1

snikwad

Not saying he's near the limit of the front end. just scared for the guy since he's doing something I've been trying not to do. Now that you mention trail braking to the apex. Its all clear to me, for some reason I seem to have forgot that I've done that a few times, it all makes sense now

Demps

lemondrop;38815 wrote: holy shit....i must have small huevos...cuz it definitely seemed like he was whipping that bitch into T1
it did not seem like it...he was.

I was blown away at how much the bike was moving around on the brakes coming into T1. I bet I would be even more blown away if we had that view of Ben Spies coming into T1 at Road America or something.

Great video and discussion.

snikwad

I love the way he does those turns, he's pretty smooth with the way he loads that front while leaned over.

When he's out front by himself and and starts getting it, I was thinking, man I'd love to see a different view to watch him get down on that bike.