Riding with NESBA?

bdubb

Just got onto the forum as I am looking to travel out to Alabama and possibly ride with NESBA at Barber later this year. Having never ridden with NESA, or at Barber, I have a number of questions to ask.

Can anyone direct me to a thread that may answer my questions, or is this a decent place to take care of that?

I am considering 6/27 & 6/28 and would be driving in from Texas. Does Barber allow camping on Friday night and/or Saturday night, or should I look to secure a hotel room?

Do you have to have a NESBA membership with ride with NESBA, or can I just pay the $205 for each day and show up to ride?

Thank you in advance!
Brad

barry38

A membership is required to sign up for full days with us. Barber is an awesome track and they do allow camping. I would definately sign up early, Baber events are typically sold out well in advance.

bdubb

So, it would be the $75 for the membership fee and then $205 for each day of riding? Or are their additional costs related to it?

Also, how does your group placement work? If I come in as a Novice with the CMRA can I just sign up for A or B group, or do I sign up with the beginners group to be evaluated before being able to bump up?

To be honest, I need to weigh the fact of riding with NESBA for some trackdays or just going and doing the CCS race at Barber.

PJZOCC624

As Barry mentioned, you will need to purchase a membership before you can sign up for a track day. Then it's whatever the price of the day you want to sign up for (membership is good for 1 year from date of purchase). As far as additional costs.... none for NESBA. Tracks will charge a fee for camping, electric, vendors, etc. (Never been to Barber, so can't comment on camping there, but I'd guess "yes") Most events will have a parts trailer for tires, fairing stays, etc., but not necessarily a "cost" to incur. So, outside of your gas, tires, food, etc., what you pay before getting to the track is it. My guess is, if you're looking for just straight track time, I'd go with a track day org vs. racing. I think you'll get more time here than going to a race weekend and running 4 or 5 races with CCS or CMRA, etc. Plus, you get input from the control riders here, and seminars at various dates that you might not get with a race organization (also at no cost). If you wanna see how you stack up against other riders, then racing is the place to do it. Again, if you're looking for just track time to improve your riding skills, then this is definitely a good organization to join. Be on the lookout for "SED" or "Skill Enhancement Days", which gives you a TON of track time and are group-specific.

Hope this helps.

bdubb

Thank you for all the feedback.

I got my CMRA license last year and will be getting in a few races on top of the trackdays with them as I live in Texas and CCS pulled out from our area after a very light showing last year I think.

Just looking to get in some laps at Barber and track time is more important to me than racing there. It always helps trying for the most cost effective way as driving in 10 hours for a trackday or anything needs to have good reason.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll make it out later this year. Itching for our season to start back up in my area come mid Feb.

Steve

IIRC, camping was free at barber, but the hours the gate was open could be a concern. Brian usually posted the gate times for the weekend. If you're tenting it, let the guard know and they will direct you to the tent camping area. They don't (or didn't) want sharp objects penetrating the paved paddock. It's been a couple years since I was there, so YMMV. Enjoy, it is a fun track!