Signed up for my first track day

NineseveN

I finally bit the bullet after three seasons of riding (had some previous dirt and street experience from long ago). I'm looking more to improve my skillset and feel for the bike than I am at being faster than anyone else, hopefully that attitude meshes with the rest of the B group. So hopefully I meet some cool folks at BeaveRun on 7/21.

Myers

Control Rider
congrats and welcome! Coming from dirt your going to be more comfortable with the bike moving around... but one thing you are going to notice...is how much of 2 things happen.
- you smile cause its a frikin blast!
- you push to get smoother every track day

welcome and enjoy!
Len

stkr

You got the right attitude with NOT worrying about the "fast" part yet. Just go out and learn and have a blast.

Welcome!!! :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NineseveN

Thanks guys, I honestly can't wait. been wanting to do this for three seasons and always had something come up. :)

NineseveN

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Now I just have to find a shop that isn't going to rape me to mount a set of tires...I don't think I want to run a track day on the OEM tires, 1. because they're kinda crappy to begin with (OEM Dunlop D220ST on an SV650) and 2. they're from 2009 and I get a bit nervous about pushing them harder than I would on the street (which admittedly, ain't very hard at all). I'm thinking some Michelin Pilot Road 2's since this is still my regular street ride; they should be sufficient for now I think.

LittleMonster

First Track Day Question about Numbers

I didn't find any information about this in a quick search of the forum, so forgive me if this information can be found elsewhere.

Reading through the manual regarding tech inspection, it mentions:

"Bike numbers can be displayed on the front or sides of the tail section, or on both; at least 6 inches high with no special background required [Intro excluded]"

I'll be in the Beginner group. How is this normally done? I took the Keith Code school, and their bikes had a plastic A-frame stuck on the top of the tail with the numbers displayed. Is this something that I'll get help with when I arrive, or is this a tech issue I'll get flunked for?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Saltman

LittleMonster;245609 wrote: I didn't find any information about this in a quick search of the forum, so forgive me if this information can be found elsewhere.

Reading through the manual regarding tech inspection, it mentions:

"Bike numbers can be displayed on the front or sides of the tail section, or on both; at least 6 inches high with no special background required [Intro excluded]"

I'll be in the Beginner group. How is this normally done? I took the Keith Code school, and their bikes had a plastic A-frame stuck on the top of the tail with the numbers displayed. Is this something that I'll get help with when I arrive, or is this a tech issue I'll get flunked for?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Black electrical tape will get you thru the day. For ease, list your number in your account as 11. You can change it later. Then just put some electrical tape on the nose of your bike and the tail where people can easily see it. Viola!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, keep it simple! Numbers can be on the front and/or sides. They don't have to be on both. Or, you can get some of those dirt bike numbers at a bike shop or cycle gear too.

Welcome to nesba!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
NineseveN;245557 wrote: Thanks for the warm welcomes! Now I just have to find a shop that isn't going to rape me to mount a set of tires...I don't think I want to run a track day on the OEM tires, 1. because they're kinda crappy to begin with (OEM Dunlop D220ST on an SV650) and 2. they're from 2009 and I get a bit nervous about pushing them harder than I would on the street (which admittedly, ain't very hard at all). I'm thinking some Michelin Pilot Road 2's since this is still my regular street ride; they should be sufficient for now I think.
The Pilot Roads should be ok. Better track choices that are still street tires would be the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, or the Dunlop Qualifier Q2, what they call "hypersport" tires. Although mileage-wise, they won't last as long as the Pilot Roads, but they'll be grippier. That said, I remember reading on here somewhere that someone did their first trackday on the Roads and they were ok.

ShagMoto

Control Rider
N2 Vendor
NineseveN;245557 wrote: Thanks for the warm welcomes! Now I just have to find a shop that isn't going to rape me to mount a set of tires...I don't think I want to run a track day on the OEM tires, 1. because they're kinda crappy to begin with (OEM Dunlop D220ST on an SV650) and 2. they're from 2009 and I get a bit nervous about pushing them harder than I would on the street (which admittedly, ain't very hard at all). I'm thinking some Michelin Pilot Road 2's since this is still my regular street ride; they should be sufficient for now I think.
Shoot me an email i will get you a great price on Q2's or Rosso's. We also have some older stock of 160's that would serve your needs just fine.

you can email me at collin at shagmoto dot com

NineseveN

HondaGalToo;245614 wrote: The Pilot Roads should be ok. Better track choices that are still street tires would be the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, or the Dunlop Qualifier Q2, what they call "hypersport" tires. Although mileage-wise, they won't last as long as the Pilot Roads, but they'll be grippier. That said, I remember reading on here somewhere that someone did their first trackday on the Roads and they were ok.
I'm not super-worried about longevity, I'm more concerned that the amount of highway in-town riding that I do would lead to a flat spot center on a softer compound tire. The Q2s were also on my short list but the place I was going to order them from didn't have the front in stock at the time. They do now though, but I'm also going to check with Shagmoto about a set of Q2s. Time to start shopping around to get them mounted for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the insight!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
NineseveN;245765 wrote: I'm not super-worried about longevity, I'm more concerned that the amount of highway in-town riding that I do would lead to a flat spot center on a softer compound tire. The Q2s were also on my short list but the place I was going to order them from didn't have the front in stock at the time. They do now though, but I'm also going to check with Shagmoto about a set of Q2s. Time to start shopping around to get them mounted for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the insight!
If you purchase from ShagMoto, mount/balance at the track is free. That, of course, depends on whether or not he's at the event. He wasn't at BeaveRun for the last event, but I think he's usually there; something to ensure ahead of time. And, you have to remove the wheels yourself, so you'd need stands, tools, and such.