Starter track bike?

radboy58

Would a 92 FZR 600 make a good starter track bike? Just looking to start and would like to start at lower speed and cost. Thanks

Sure.

If it's not puking oil and 'other' liquids.

Freshen up the liquids (i.e. brake fluid, coolant, oil and fork oil) change the brake pads and try her out.

BZ

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
As long as it starts, anything will get you started. But, you may overcome it's capabilities quickly. It mostly depends on your skill.

Motofun352

Control Rider
That would be an excellent bike to start out on, of course it all depends on how much experience you have...but for the first several sessions, maybe the first year, an older bike is a great place to start. So many guys start out on brand new R1's, GSXR 1000, etc and they get in way over their head. It's really all about being smooth and consistent which is much easier on a smaller bike.

rk97

what aftermarket parts (if any) are on it, and how far do you expect it to take you?

I'm riding a '93, but my rear shock probably doubles the value of teh bike :p

you will absolutely save money on tires when compared to other 600s. i imagine it's a 160 (like mine), and you won't have the power to burn through it as quickly as newer bikes. both good things. the only thing i really dislike about my old bike is that it's heavy. a modern 1000 is lighter than a 600 from the early 90's.

Blaise

Also, remember that spares are tougher to get. My '97 ZX6R is no longer supported by any of the companies which make aftermarket rearsets... makes it tough.

jsin38

I vote SV650. I got lucky last year and picked up a track prepped SV650, changed the oil, and never looked back. The SV is very popular which makes parts easy to find. Tires are cheap and plentiful as well and last longer as a result of the lower HP and lighter weight.

A '92 FZR600 might be harder to support due to it's age. Don't take that as gospel though. There is a guy in the Mid-Atlantic region who runs a 1990 GSXR.

It is ultimately up to you. If you already have the FZR and it will pass tech, then I say run it.

rk97

depends on the bike more than the age - if it's a popular 'vintage' WERA bike (like the F2/F3), there are parts all over.

i'm surprised woodcraft doesn't make something for that old ZX6. maybe the ZZR parts fit?

but i agree - if you've got it, ride it. especially if you know it won't sell for much.

radboy58;53469 wrote: I assume it is preferred over a 2005 GS 500 or a EX 500?
Again, it depends upon what you want to start with.

A GS or Ninja 500 will work (rk97 started on a EX500 if memory serves).

If you are looking to getting on the track as inexpensive as possible, then all of the above bikes will work.

BZ

ganglo

The 18" 150 rear is a complete pain to find good rubber for. You will not be able to get a Pirelli rear.

I ran a 93 FZR well into the I group, it will run about even with an SV650 if you really want it to.

Being a heavy bike, you will learn how to link turns together, otherwise you're just not going to get it to flick over.

You're not as likely to induce a highside when rolling on the throttle, I would routinely roll to the throttle stop exiting a turn with no wheel spin.

I put about 25,000 miles and a good amount of track time on mine, and the motor was still rock solid. They seem prone to blow fork seals, and the front springs will be worn out if they haven't been replaced lately. All being said, it's a great bike to wail on, not having to worry about trashing an expensive bike.

If I were buying a low cost bike, it would be a SV, but you can run the FZR with no trouble.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Agree with the part about the 18 inch wheels. Is it possible to convert them to 17 inch for not much $$$?
I started doing track days on a '92 fizzer 600.

ganglo

To change the rear rim, I think the general approach is to replace the swingarm and rear with one from a CBR. In that regard it may just be more straightforward to get the CBR to start with.

jfeagin

Keep an eye out for older track or race bikes. I run a '91 CBR F2, which I picked up for $1k. It came with an Ohlins shock, safety wired to the teeth, race fairings, and some spare parts. Having been a popular bike, pretty much everything is still available as new OEM, if it's not on eBay. I've put some work into fettling it, but the engine runs like a top now and I really don't much care if I throw it down the track. Last time out, I met a guy who recognized the bike and had raced with one of the previous owners. Can't get a conversation like that with too many new bikes! :cool: