Straightening a bent exhaust pipe

schwiz

Has anyone ever tried to straighten their exhaust due to kinks or bends? Do those "muffler expanders" from the auto parts store actually work? Should I spend the money for a new one exhaust? I would just leave it, but it hits the back of my foot like crazy and distracts me from my concentration. Thoughts?

Spitz

I can attest to the pipe expanders, we have a hydraulic one and it works great, but only expands pipe, doesnt shrink it. :D

schwiz

What about the $20 ones at the hardware store? I might just say screw it and live with it, but I could feel it lose power at about 14k rpm's.

RandyO

Lonewrench;195754 wrote: buy a new mid pipe,once an exhaust is crashed its rubbish,really.
+1 it will either crack or burn through..
on the "up side" dyno results show that a pipe has to be smashed pretty good before it really hurts the performance.. (more than 50% restricted)..

We pack them with sand before trying to repair them and then it is still a black art to fix them..

schwiz

I'm just going to see how it hangs with my new subframe on and if it doesn't contact my boot as much I might just leave it. Another problem that arises is that it's a Hindle, the can and mid-pipe are one piece. Awesome sounding exhaust though.