SV650 Race Prep

some guy #2

I picked up a 05 SV650 N and want to take it racing. It already has a 06/07 GSXR front end on it so I assume it's superbike only? I also have the stock front end with "intiminators" installed. Are those better or worse than emulators?

I'm trying to source a bellypan (I want to run the bike naked) so if anyone has a busted set of BW I'll take whatever you got :)

Should I stick with the 160 tire or bump up to the 180 conversion?

It's got an awful exhaust welded on it right now so I'd need a full system. M4? Leo? Akra?

Do you guys run bazazz and QS on these bikes? I already have an autotune for bazazz so I figure I can use that to map it if bazazz even makes a system for it.

I'm staying out of the motor for now but do most people do SS builds (compression, timing)?

Looking for a penske/ohlins on ebay but not a lot of SV only parts. I know some things are interchangeable (older GSXR, Kawi shocks).

Finally who makes good tires? I run UK Dunlops on my 1000 but get the impression Dunlop is not the hot ticket for little bikes. I'd prefer contingency paying tires for WERA/CCS/MCRA so I guess I'm stuck with Bridgestone or Dunlop.

ERB68

Dunlop has a new 160 for the SV's.

I have not heard any feed back from friends that run SV's but the 211gpa in the 8477 compound is working good for me. 3 sprint races and it just like it just got scuffed in. I was running 1:14's at BHF with it.

madriders86

if it were me id swap the stock front end on it so you can still race it in SS. From what i hear 10mm of fork tube showing above the top triple is a good starting point. I'd run the gsx-r front end flush, as they are shorter.
Stick with the 160 and the d211 should be plenty of grip...although I hear a lot of people prefer the pirellis for the lwt bikes.

The m4 system seems to be a favorite with the SV's. My 1st gen has an m4 system and has the 2nd gen cam swap mod and dyno'd at 74rwhp.

i dont race mine so im no expert, just passing along the hearsay :)
the wera crowd is probably a better source of information...

some guy #2

I think if I run the stock front end I'd need emulators which are $300 I think. I might end up doing that or the rear shock for the time being.

dbakerpa

madriders86;252598 said:
if it were me id swap the stock front end on it so you can still race it in SS. From what i hear 10mm of fork tube showing above the top triple is a good starting point. I'd run the gsx-r front end flush, as they are shorter.
Stick with the 160 and the d211 should be plenty of grip...although I hear a lot of people prefer the pirellis for the lwt bikes.

The m4 system seems to be a favorite with the SV's. My 1st gen has an m4 system and has the 2nd gen cam swap mod and dyno'd at 74rwhp.
QUOTE]

What he said except for the 10mm. You should run flush to start. The stock front with the right springs and intiminators are probably as good or better than the GSXR front. You will need to make shue the top hole is brased over and I would get a recomendation from Spears Enterprises to see if you need to over drill the bottom holes on the damper.
TWF racing has a new exhaust that makes a bit more HP than the Leo Vince or M4. They are expensive. The Vince or M4 are good choices too. You definitely need a rear shock on the SV. I started with a Kawi ZX10R rear shock which is OK. But the triple clicker is way better.

NTECs and Pirelli SC2s are more than enough for this bike.

With that said you need to consider some SS legal engine mods and a star gear swap (SV shifting can be...well ...shifty) . Unfortunately if you are a good rider you can still get beat by a not good riders with more HP. If you are a very good riders you can usually stay in the top three with them (they build their bikes because thay arent good riders...and they have lots of green). I found the cost prohibitive once I got in expert and am going to build a Ducati. My advice is not to buy a Ducati though its to ride the pants off the SV. Learn to ride faster then get a faster bike.

some guy #2

dbakerpa;252606 wrote:
What he said except for the 10mm. You should run flush to start. The stock front with the right springs and intiminators are probably as good or better than the GSXR front. You will need to make shue the top hole is brased over and I would get a recomendation from Spears Enterprises to see if you need to over drill the bottom holes on the damper.
TWF racing has a new exhaust that makes a bit more HP than the Leo Vince or M4. They are expensive. The Vince or M4 are good choices too. You definitely need a rear shock on the SV. I started with a Kawi ZX10R rear shock which is OK. But the triple clicker is way better.

The stock front end has Ricor Intiminators installed in them currently. What is the diff. between emulators and intiminators?

Does anybody run their SV naked? I thought of maybe doing a half fairing with a windshield just to keep the wind off of me.

I take it the SV650 superbikes are little more hard core than a GSXR superbike? I'm used to running my stock gsxr 1000 in the SS and SB classes with WERA novice and not having any problems.

dbakerpa

The intiminators have rebound and compression settings. thats why I am not sure about treatment of the dampers. The compression with the intiminator is different depending on the load. I had a long discussion with Gregg Spears regarding them. I have been tempted to switch had I not already invested in the emulators. It actually makes sense how they work and may have significant advantages with certain tracks that have a lot of ripples and irregular bumps. I would rcomend you stick with them and call Spears. They know the product as well or better than RIcor.

hotwings

Welcome to LWT Twins. As for the front end. Go stock. with emulators That will let you race SS. GSXR front end puts you in SB. Your WERA races are Formula 2, LWT Twin SS, and LWT Twin SB. Then on a normal weekend the Sat, Solo - 20 lap. Rear, Penski, twin clicker. P tires are my pick.
I don't check this forum that often anymore....wonder why... PM me if you have questions...

Amac955

hotwings;252939 wrote: Welcome to LWT Twins. As for the front end. Go stock. with emulators That will let you race SS. GSXR front end puts you in SB. Your WERA races are Formula 2, LWT Twin SS, and LWT Twin SB. Then on a normal weekend the Sat, Solo - 20 lap. Rear, Penski, twin clicker. P tires are my pick.
I don't check this forum that often anymore....wonder why... PM me if you have questions...

What he said. I have an SV with gsxr front end, flat slide carbs, brembo mc.....mike is still faster!!!