Sv650

ridelater

:shutit:shhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shutit:
are you nut's that crazy talk, if they hear you say that they will ban them.
oh! oh! i get it a typing error they happens all the time, you ment to say 142

SimplyRed

On a serious note, provide a little more info so folks can answer your question. Things like your skill/experience level, bike setup (stock/mods/gearing), and what your specific issue is. You just looking for more hp and/or overall techniques to reduce laptimes? Any mech issues with the bike? Things like that.

brennadnky

sv650

THanks all i'm in the B group would like some more HP, the bike is a stock naked had forks rebuilt and rear shock just need some advise please

Joe Vital

there are a few sv smart dudes on svrider.com, check that site out...
assuming you have the suspension sorted out

remove one layer of headgasket
do the cam swap, refer to svrider.com for specifics
if it is a 1st gen, install 39mm flatslides, m4 or hindle pipe
if it is a 2nd gen install a power commander and get it mapped to what ever after market pipe you have. 2nd gens work well with leo vince

there is more crazy stuff you can do, but the above is the short list.

the best advice has been given, shift into sixth and learn how to maintain corner speed. it is cheaper...trust me...

pm me if you have specific questions...i tried a few things that worked and few that didn't

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
As "simplyred" mentioned, make sure the bike is in good mechanical condition.

The trick to speed on low powered bikes like the SV is to carry faster corner speed and get a better drive down the straight. Gearing is the second thing you need to woory about after you start hitting the rev limiter on the straight.

No need to worry about "getting more power" yet. Develop the skills while in "B" group.

Oh, btw, how do you know you were tapped out at 112?

brennadnky

sv650

thanks Joe the bike is a 03 only 4700 miles i hit the rev limiter a few times do you know a good gearing .
Hey rugby i took a peek knowing it's not the right thing to do when going fast

fastfatguy

brennadnky;14264 wrote: THanks all i'm in the B group would like some more HP, the bike is a stock naked had forks rebuilt and rear shock just need some advise please
I also ride an SV and I'm a big guy... Use the bike for what it is good for, cornerspeed! Don't worry about top end yet. Let the "screamin' parkers" go and set them up coming out of the curves! Coming out of turn 1 on Main you should be able to get around of couple of bikes at a time. Do the same at turn 8 (or 7 can't remember). My advise would be to start at the very back of the pack in the B group and just start picking bikes off 1 at a time.

Again I ride an SV with an M4 exhaust (everything else is pretty much stock) and I can usually get by 2 or 3 bikes at a time going into turn 1 (when I was in B). My advise: Work on your braking and your cornerspeed.

Good luck!

Amac955

I ride an SV at a decent "I" pace and know at least one guy who rides a stock geared, stock motored SV in the A group. Take everybodies advice here and work on your skills. Any money you throw at the bike to gain horsepower would be better spent just riding at the track. If you've got your front & rear suspension set up, your best money would be spent doing more track days and spending time with the CRs. 95% of the time (myself included) the bike is not the limiting factor.

SimplyRed

brennadnky;14264 wrote: THanks all i'm in the B group would like some more HP, the bike is a stock naked had forks rebuilt and rear shock just need some advise please
Okay. Given that, work on what rugbymook and ffg said - cornerspeed. That's where bikes like the SV650 thrive. Get with a CR and work on your technique.

I would only worry about improving hp if you are going to be a competitive racer or have money to burn. I race an SV in WERA expert and only thing I've done engine-wise is re-jet ('01 SVS) the carbs to account for the full M4 exhaust. For a long time I did track days & racing with only a slip-on. Put my money into suspension, tires, and track time.

Question: Are you getting into 6th gear on the SP straight?

Joe Vital

try 15/44...not sure what stock gearing is on the '03, but that is what some guys are using. it works well at most tracks.
sv are cool bikes and fun to hot rod. i have built one or two, they respond well to minor mods like the head gasket, cam swap, exhaust, and good power commander mapping. if you do this you will have to run race gas. the main problem folks are not telling you about gaining hp in an sv is they will not be reliable. for track days you want reliablility, it equates to track time.
smart money says to spend your money on track time, suspension, and tires...really smart money says to take all of the cash you would spend on this hobby and sink it into the stock market...

JGardy_781

I rode an SV to a midpack I pace. I'd agree mostly with what's been said.

From experience, leave motor stock - the more internal work you do, the more it'll start to behave like an italian twin instead of a japanese twin - on the cheap, drop a 1 tooth smaller sprocket on the front - it'll lower your top end, but you'll exit corners faster, which will save you time on the track even though it'll cost you top speed.

After that,

(1) upgrade suspension as money allows (rework fork, replace shock, and fit better rubber ditching the 60 section front for a 70 section), and
(2) brakes as money allows (i've never had good luck with stock suzi master cylinders; any aftermarket is better, with stainless lines and RJL pads - stock calipers and rotors are more than adequate for the low weight of the bike)

(1) helps you with corner confidence and will get you rolling through the turns. The stock bike is wallowy and underdamped, and the 60 section tire just plain lacks feel vs. a 70 section. None of that makes you faster midcorner. It just makes the bike feel like crap.
(2) can help you brake later and more confidently once you have cornerspeed licked - with an SV, this is where you'll do your passing in B (and I) group.

Mostly, spend money on track time to get the mental stuff down.