Swapping Bikes

psychocycle

Have a question about swapping bikes. I am in "I" and a friend of mine is in "B", is there any way him and I could swap bikes? He rides a TL and I was looking forward to riding a twin on the track. Thanks in advance.
Chris

Clarus

Although I'm not one in charge, I have done this multiple times. If I remember the official statement correctly it's, "As long as it passes tech in the highest group it runs on, both people have paid, and you approve it with the director at the track".

Ohh, and if you crash your buddies bike, you have to get him at least a case of beer + spares.

brveagle

This is more of an individal track issue.

I swapped with a friend last week and didn't even so much as get a 2nd look at the gate.

psychocycle

Alright, thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to see what happens when we get there. We are riding NJMP on the 1st and I know that place is pretty strict. Keeping fingers crossed...

BigKid

Speak with the director or event coordinators at the event. If you get caught without permission the consequences could be your session or day. It has happened in the past where people were trying to ride more than one session an hour so they do keep an eye out. Just ask NESBA personnel at the track.

psychocycle

BigKid;55591 wrote: Speak with the director or event coordinators at the event. If you get caught without permission the consequences could be your session or day. It has happened in the past where people were trying to ride more than one session an hour so they do keep an eye out. Just ask NESBA personnel at the track.
Thanks.

rk97

dude... I mainly do 2-day events, so maybe i'm more tired than most, but who among us is in shape enough to sneak out for multiple sessions an hour?

I rarely see control riders out for a full "A" session, and they're in much better riding shape than I am! And who do those people think they're fooling? An "I" rider in "B" would either stick out like a sore thumb, or just be going through the motions to blend in...

i guess the fact that i don't understand is a good thing. it's never occurred to me to try to cheat NESBA or its members.

psychocycle

Just looking to swap bikes not cheat anyone out of anything. Its pretty simple. He has a bike I want to ride and I was looking for a way to ride it in the proper class with the proper person on it.

Landshark

Control Rider
rk97;55953 wrote: dude... I mainly do 2-day events, so maybe i'm more tired than most, but who among us is in shape enough to sneak out for multiple sessions an hour?

I rarely see control riders out for a full "A" session, and they're in much better riding shape than I am! And who do those people think they're fooling? An "I" rider in "B" would either stick out like a sore thumb, or just be going through the motions to blend in...

i guess the fact that i don't understand is a good thing. it's never occurred to me to try to cheat NESBA or its members.
Its hard to come off the track be available for feedback and make the grid for "A". Remember Cr's also gotta come in early to be ready for the next group depending on what group they are working and for whatever reason that could be both "I" and "B" if they are short on staff.
At the end of a weekend its not so much the sore muscles but the overall fatigue.

As for the 2 riders one bike I have seen double stickers. I wouldn't be surprised if you had dual classes on one bike that you get stopped for the wristband to ensure your in the correct group. Don't even want to think what would happen to someone being shady and letting someone not registered ride their bike.

rk97

Clarus;55958 wrote: RK - I think he's talking about 2 guys using 1 bike. Not the other way around. :)
right. i think i understood what he was asking. My surprise was at BigKid's comment about people trying to sneak out in the wrong group in the past. I didn't mean to imply that's why the OP was asking.

I see people trade bikes all the time, but they're mostly A guys, or Control Riders. the only time i've seen the 'wrong' sticker out on track was a Control Rider on an "I" rider's bike. He was evaluating the suspension (or so he claims!)

and i've considered letting my brother ride my bike for an Intro day - but that would only be 1 bike, not really 'trading' anything.

JGardy_781

I can see the logic here. I have a buddy who's a way experienced dirt/enduro rider and racer who lives on the west cost, but has little street and track experience. He's indicated interest a number of times in coming out and doing a track day with me when he's on vacation on the east coast; he agrees that even with his dirt experience, he'd slot in as a "B" rider.

Considering the above, he'd look to beg/borrow/rent gear, and then ride my bike in "B" sessions, while I take it for "A" sessions. Not an ideal scenario (I'd have to jump off early to let him get to pit out for his call, and there's of course the spectre that one of would crash, and ruin the others' day), but I can see the reasoning from the part of the OP...

/j

rk97

^ the OP's talking about trading bike's between classes; presumably for only a few sessions. 2 bikes for 2 people - not 2 riders sharing 1 bike all day.

JGardy_781

rk97;55989 wrote: ^ the OP's talking about trading bike's between classes; presumably for only a few sessions. 2 bikes for 2 people - not 2 riders sharing 1 bike all day.
Management issue remains the same trackside - making sure the right person is on the bike in the right class. Ultimately the same issue either way.

rk97

not to start an epic e-gument, but I know i've seen directors (on this forum. not in person) poo-poo the idea of sharing one bike between two riders all day. conversely, i've seen control riders trade bikes with other riders, even one with an "I" sticker.

it may be almost the same issue logistically, but NESBA's attitude toward both situations has historically not been the same.

like someone else said, just clear it with the director ahead of time...

Revvin' Evan

rk97;55998 wrote: not to start an epic e-gument, but I know i've seen directors (on this forum. not in person) poo-poo the idea of sharing one bike between two riders all day. conversely, i've seen control riders trade bikes with other riders, even one with an "I" sticker.

it may be almost the same issue logistically, but NESBA's attitude toward both situations has historically not been the same.

like someone else said, just clear it with the director ahead of time...
Hmmmm:notsure: I'll have to look into this. I was planning on meeting my brother at NJMP sometime this year and sharing my bike with him for a day so he could try out a track day and hopefully get him hooked, or at the very least have him learn a few things he could apply to becoming a safer street rider.

BigKid

I don't think the two riders sharing one bike is as much an issue as an A or I guy wanting to go ride with his buddy in lower classes. This question comes up at the track ALL THE TIME. That is what I was stating as sneaking in extra sessions. Yes, CR's and Directors are known to ride one another's bikes etc. It is the discretion of the event organizers so talk to them at the track or e-mail. You will have better luck than trying to get a blanket answer here.

psychocycle

This is why I love Nesba, look at all the response this got. Thanks all for your replies and I will take it up with the Director at the event.