Tank slappers - what to do???

PJZOCC624

I'm wondering what's the best way to ride out a tankslapper? Get on the gas? Go neutral on the throttle and light on the bars? I haven't experienced anything too violent, but catch one every now and then (mostly under acceleration and the bars get a little wiggly). I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

Thanks.

barry38

The harder you try to stop (tensing on the bars) it the worse it typically gets. I ride with a really loose grip on the bars and just keep slowly rolling in the throttle. A steering damper definately helps, just don't set it to stiff, because it will mask what the bike is actually doing,

ThePro8

Since its happening under acceleration, it's because your front end is getting light. Keep a loose grip, but put some more weight forward when accelerating. if you are transfer your body mass correctly it will go away. A damper helps also.

RyanITV

Admin
Like Barry says - be loose. Beaver is a good place to practice, IMHO - there's 2 spots on the track that'll cause one for me every time. Good practice to show how a loose grip makes for a faster recovery.

Ryan

sobottka

check your geometry set-up. my 04 gsxr 600 would get a little head shake (especially over bumps) until I got the front/rear ride hight properly adjusted.

Jeff H

RyanITV;42108 wrote: Like Barry says - be loose. Beaver is a good place to practice, IMHO - there's 2 spots on the track that'll cause one for me every time. Good practice to show how a loose grip makes for a faster recovery.

Ryan
Yep.....the left kink and coming over the hill towards the start/finish line. Happens to me too. I keep a real loose grip....I let go of the bars!!! LOL!!!:wow:

Bluenvy

Jeff H;42125 wrote: Yep.....the left kink and coming over the hill towards the start/finish line. Happens to me too. I keep a real loose grip....I let go of the bars!!! LOL!!!:wow:
i actually broke the rear loose somehow in that kink, lol. dk how the heck it happened, i think i got to far outside trying to pas someone. never expected that to happen there.

PJZOCC624

Thanks guys.

Ryan - yeah that kink always gets the bars a little goofy. There's some ripples through the exit that seem to cause a bit of disruption.

I'm looking at dampers but can't decide on a rotary or piston type.

Jeff - brought the toyhauler home last weekend for a run-through. Gonna bring it home again next weekend to finish stocking it up and measure up the stands. You should stop out for a beer or several!

One spot I'm really concearned with is the "jump" at Thunderbolt. If my front wheel is even slightly off-center, I'm afraid that I'll get into a slapper that I can't recover before turn 4... and I really don't want to hit the barrier there. (I haven't had one yet... YET)

hank

Bluenvy;42214 wrote: best answer ever lmao:adore:
:agree: after watching that video I doubt anyone would either a) realize what is happening or b) have time to take ANY action before the bike either corrects itself or tosses the rider off...

At that point, your sphincter muscle is all that separates you from disaster...

Jeff H

PJZOCC17;42147 wrote: Thanks guys.

Jeff - brought the toyhauler home last weekend for a run-through. Gonna bring it home again next weekend to finish stocking it up and measure up the stands. You should stop out for a beer or several!
Let me know when you have it home again, I would love to come over and drink your beer...errrrr...look at your new trailer!!:D

A59

I have always had a damper. I would be afraid to ride without one. I highly suggest everyone have one, esp. on a track like Beaver. IMO.
i4p9pf.gif

rk97

at the risk of thread-jacking, what primarily dictates the need for a damper?

Track surface? a certain level of horsepower? overall speed (read "skill")? rake of your forks?

I get a bit of wiggle through that first kink on the front straight at Beave as well, but (not knowing any better), i figured that was pretty much normal. Just throttle through, legs tight, arms loose, and let the bike release some energy.

I could double the value of my bike with a nice enough damper... :p