The cart before the horse.

Fire929

We bought a trailer over the winter and now it's time to go and out and look for something to tow it with. It has to keep the wife happy so I can't just go out and buy a regular pickup. Looking for something that will be comfortable for passengers and "pretty" on the inside for the wife.

There is still plenty of time before my season starts so hopefully we will stumble across a good deal.

The only sad part of the deal is I decided to put one of the cars on craiglist to see if there was any interest and someone agreed to buy it within a week. :banghead:

I was pulled over a lot when I drove it but the car always put a smile on my face.
STic.jpg

Perlzuki

Mark. Man I would have to shed at least 1 tear when that thing left my driveway for the last time. I'm sure you will be able to snag a awsome deal on a big ol gas hog fully decked out for pulling a trailer. Let me know if you need someone to ride with when you find one! May need to go out of state to find the right deal?

See ya,

Mark
SE CR #249
06GSXR 1000

Fire929

I'll let you know as soon as we find something that works. Hopefully it will be something local but if there's a long trip involved I'll swing by and pick you up.

Burnall4

Mark - I can feel your pain, I too miss my STi :(

As for tow vehicles -

As for looking good to keep the wifey happy:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/102426/article.html

I would go witht the Expedtion or the Suburban they can tow a respectable 8950 and 8400 (total) can't go wrong with that and they look good! With that said, can i get a lift ;)

Let me know if you go the FORD route I have a hook up in that area, can at least give you some good comparable numbers!

MV Rider

You really ought to take a look at the Crewcab(4 full doors) F-150. Have towed trailers all over the Eastern US with one. The interior is superior to a lot of so called luxury cars. The new for 09 F150 even has the brake regulator as part of the towing package if your trailer has brakes. This gives you comfort plus a bed for all of the smelly stuff like oil, gas, etc when you take bikes anywhere.

Surfinglbi23

Type of trailer and price range would be helpful ... there are a lot of nice options, some of the trucks out there have come a long way in recent years. I have the F-150 as well and its very nice inside.

Fire929

The trailer is a 7x16 low hauler from pace. I think it weighs about 2500 lbs empty and it has brakes on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm going to take the wife out and look at some to see which type she likes.

zangman

I use my Denali for pulling my 7x16 and it is great. I have the 6.0L in it. More than enough power. Is a bit of a gas hog with the trailer though. I just went from Columbi, SC to Pensacola, FL and back and got about 8.5 mpg. And I was moving. The Denali is very stable with the trailer under heavy braking too.

Andymax

Any full size SUV will work great. I agree that a truck is a GREAT solution though, much more utilty, especially if you dont have kids. How about an Avalanche? Most owners really love them.

If you do haul passengers a lot, definitely look at the new 09 F-150 crew cab...the rear seat room is AMAZING, compared to my new-body GMC crewcab. However, despite the current market conditions, the two ford dealers I spoke with didnt seem all that interested making any deals.

Personally, I'd buy lightly used vs new...so many good deals right now.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
MV Rider;34126 wrote: You really ought to take a look at the Crewcab(4 full doors) F-150. Have towed trailers all over the Eastern US with one. The interior is superior to a lot of so called luxury cars. The new for 09 F150 even has the brake regulator as part of the towing package if your trailer has brakes. This gives you comfort plus a bed for all of the smelly stuff like oil, gas, etc when you take bikes anywhere.
:agree: My '06 F150 crew cab is a very comfortable ride. I threw a hard lid on the back so I can put stuff in the bed also. I put one of those diamond plate boxes on the trailer tongue for the gas cans, that works well except I can't use the tall VP cans in there. Hmm, wonder if they make taller ones.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I pull a 5th wheel with a '06 GMC 3/4 ton Crew cab with a 6 liter gas engine. I'm maxed out wieght wise but on the highway I hang with the 18 wheelers and do just fine. 8.5 mpg with the trailer, about 14 without.