tire mounting and balance

Motomoon

I spent about 30.00 on my tire changing equipment prior to working with my trailer equipment regularly. I used tire spoons, rim protector and used 2 handheld ball bearing to supported my balancing shaft and cones. We used a vice or large C clamp to break the bead. I never had a problem with any of my changes. I would do it this way about 12 times a year.

On a daily driver car you have other variables as well as the amount of time a tire spends on that wheel. You normally balance on the inside and outside of the wheel. Higher end machines will "roadforce" a wheel which is basically a roller that will load the tire while on the machine as if it were on the car. The machine can pick up on a bad tire that might pull to one side or even recommend where on the car to mount the wheel

Static balancing is the way to go on bike. You could be 1/4 to 3/4 of an oz. out and many people wouldn't ever feel it

FaceRace98

Not wanting to spend the money for a No-Mar machine, I bought the tire change bar that they sell and made my own changing station.

I used a 16" car rim i had sitting in my basement, ran a 4ft long 3/8" threaded rod through my work bench bolted underneath the bench and on top of the car rim.

To change a tire i slide the bike rim down the rod and secure it on top of the car rim with a large washer and bolt. I then use the No-Mar bar the same way you would use it on the machine, leveraging it on the rod.

I have changed around 15 sets of tires and it works really well.

Here are some pics of my set-up...

BonesDT

Your setup is awesome! I always admired people who build their tools too. I have too many auto/moto projects to start getting obsessed with crafting the tools to do it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm def going to go static.

JGardy_781

FaceRace98;58698 wrote: Not wanting to spend the money for a No-Mar machine, I bought the tire change bar that they sell and made my own changing station.

I used a 16" car rim i had sitting in my basement, ran a 4ft long 3/8" threaded rod through my work bench bolted underneath the bench and on top of the car rim.

To change a tire i slide the bike rim down the rod and secure it on top of the car rim with a large washer and bolt. I then use the No-Mar bar the same way you would use it on the machine, leveraging it on the rod.

I have changed around 15 sets of tires and it works really well.
Thanks for posting that - I have the same wheel/threaded rod setup, but I use tire levers to get the tire on and off - been using it for five years with no real problem, but i've always wondered if the no mar bar worked with just a longer threaded rod... Looked easier than old-fashioned tire levers.

Seeing your post, I'm gonna go that route... Awesome...

/j

BonesDT

I have a 15" rim I was right about to throw out. Just need to stop at Home Depot and decide which piece of furniture I like the least.

kindley55

Who has a tirestripper?? I purchased one and it takes tires off pretty good, But i bent my hitch mount trying to put a new pilot power race on the 09 R1 rear wheel. The amount of force that i used trying to get that last little bit of tire to go on the rim was not enough. I'm so frustrated with this thing i'm ready to send it back. The guy at tire stripper tells me that i need better form putting tires on and to watch the video again. It's just not as easy as it looks on their video. Can someone that has one of these tirestripper's give me some advice before i go thru the trouble of sending this thing back.

ERB68

I have found it very important to get lube on the inside of the top bead. That way it slides over the top rim lip easier.

krw

:agree:

I lube the back of the top bead and the side of the bead (but not the sealing area). Make sure the tire is deep in the relief valley. If you are doing it right, the bead should be curling down.

aowens2

ATTN: TIRES ARE YOUR B*T*H WHEN THEY ARE WARM AT INSTALLATION, JUST PUT THEM IN SUNLIGHT...OR THE OVEN.(just kidding, don't think they belong in the oven)

I have the tire stripper balancer only. I have never heard of anything getting bent. I bought a bead breaker off ebay, I leave the wheel on this thing while I work the tire on and off the wheel. All I have are two 8" long spoons, and sometimes a piece of milk jug to keep from scratching my friends wheels. I have done 120's 180's & 190's solo, 5 mins max.

Before I begin installation I just squirt the lip of each side of the tire (soapy water), first (bottom) side goes on easy with no tools, second (top) I have to spoon on, but never any struggle, just have to keep working it on about 5 inches at a time.

Lets say your wheel is on its side. Your working on the top lip of the tire. Put your knees on the tire where it is closest to you, pushing the upper lip (bead) of the tire down to the middle of the wheel, that will give you slack to spoon on the tire where it is farthest away from you. Presto, filler up with air to set the bead, and balance away.

I have never remotely thought about lubing the inside of the tire, but anything is worth a try. I am sure www.youtube.com has more tire changing stuff than you could ever wanna look at, but I would be glad to awnser any questions, i'm not a pro, but i'm good.