Tire size benefits

JRA

denbsteph;241402 wrote: I'm very happy with the geometry, don't want to fool with that. The 70 is on it's way! Thanks
The 70 will change the geometry for you. I was suggesting you measure before and after mounting the 70 so you can put it back to the same geometry after mounting the taller front tire.

denbsteph

JRA:

Young grasshopper did not understand what you were saying, Now I understand, thanks for clarifying and sending me in the right direction.

So I need to measure from the CENTER of the axle FIRST then again when the tire gets put on, then adjust accordingly by way of the forks.

I'm going to assume it does not make a difference which side of the axle I use, as long as it is the CENTER.

Thanks John!!

JRA

Measuring from the ground to the center of the axle is just a quick way to see the difference. To correct for the taller tire you'll want to measure in a straight line from the ground to a fixed point on the very front of the bike. Use a piece of tape, measure up to it, mount new front tire, measure again, raise fork tubes to so that you are back to original measurement. Check for clearance of fender to front tire and also to bottom of upper fairing to ensure that when the forks are fully compressed the bodywork still clears.

denbsteph

If I'm understanding you correctly, the out side axle can can be a reference point, as long as the same reference point is constant.

denbsteph

So very front tip of the fender be the reference point? Then adjust accordingly, check for clearance at the fender and upper fairing.

JRA

You'll have to use a fixed point on the front fairing or frame. You'll always have the same measurement to the fender after you make the tire swap.

rk97

how much clearance do you guys have between the rear tire and the shock linkage?

I went up a tooth on the rear sprocket, and on the stands, there's only 10-12mm of clearance. I'm betting the tire could "stand up" that much at speed, but the suspension will also be loaded (bearing my weight, and the forces of acceleration) to compensate.

10mm should be plenty, right?

Meat

rk97;241849 wrote: how much clearance do you guys have between the rear tire and the shock linkage?

I went up a tooth on the rear sprocket, and on the stands, there's only 10-12mm of clearance. I'm betting the tire could "stand up" that much at speed, but the suspension will also be loaded (bearing my weight, and the forces of acceleration) to compensate.

10mm should be plenty, right?
The Dunlop N-Tec's don't grow in size at speed. I wouldn't see 10mm posing any problems at all with an N-Tec, not sure on the growth of a different tire.

bigzell51

If I'm reading this right if you have a bike that came with spec 180's but you have been doing track days it is perfectly ok to put a 190 on the rear?

It will only help in the turns and not hurt is that a correct statement?

borislav

Control Rider
Yes you can run 190 tire on your 600 or even 200!I ran both tires on my 750 and have NTEC 200 on it now with out any problems!
I can only speak about Dunlop tires because I use them but if you are thinking that by going from 180 to 190 or 200 is going to afect your geometry you can go on Dunlop racing.com and get technical data of tires that you use or planing to use and get tire sizes in height ,width etc. so you can compesate.
For example if your new 200 rear is 4mm taler than your curent 190 rear you know how much you need to add or take away considering your suspenssion is set up perfectly and you don't want to change that!
For what ever is worth I personaly would ride it first and see how it feel's and than make changes if don't feel right,same thing was recomended by Steve Brubaker from Race tire services(Dunlop)!