Too slow ? Setting the pace ?

SHADER

Has anyone in an intro or beginner group been too slow? Or should i say cautious
first few times out? Who dictates the "comfortable" "pace" in this beginners
groups.The CR'S?

THANKS AGAIN

BE SAFE

miller

Control Rider
Everyone should ride at their own pace. Everyone is different. My pace is not the same as Mat Mladin's (he's slower). The control riders base their speeds off of your speed. We see where you're at and go from their. DON'T worry about speed. Work on being smooth and the speed will come naturally. Just go out and have fun.

RyanITV

Admin
You pretty much dictate the pace; the CRs adjust based on your comfort level. They also serve as traffic management - if you're really off pace, they'll usually follow you and wave others past.

There are people that are too slow - I remember one guy that wouldn't go over 60mph, even on the straights. That, to me, seemed like a waste of his money - you don't need to push, but you should at least be willing to use the throttle - it's a race track and not a group ride.

Just my $0.02...

Ryan

Morph

Control Rider
RyanITV;51478 wrote: You pretty much dictate the pace; the CRs adjust based on your comfort level. They also serve as traffic management - if you're really off pace, they'll usually follow you and wave others past.

There are people that are too slow - I remember one guy that wouldn't go over 60mph, even on the straights. That, to me, seemed like a waste of his money - you don't need to push, but you should at least be willing to use the throttle - it's a race track and not a group ride.

Just my $0.02...

Ryan
Ryan you shouldnt beat yourself up man. You were new then....LOL

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Like Mike and Ryan said, you control the throttle. There is no need to go beyond your comfort zone. Get out there and try it. It's all about fun, cause it's definitely too expensive to be miserable

ERB68

SHADER;51473 wrote: Has anyone in an intro or beginner group been too slow? Or should i say cautious
first few times out? Who dictates the "comfortable" "pace" in this beginners
groups.The CR'S?

THANKS AGAIN

BE SAFE
To be clear, the CR's control the pace BUT it is set off the riders comfort. If you try to run them over they go faster.

The first few laps in the morning sessions, they show you around the track under a yellow(no passing/caution) flag. From there they let the riders comfort dictate the "pace". I think they can tell from your body language if you ok or scaring the crap out of yourself.

These are just my observations. I hope this helps.

SHADER

Thanks !

Thank you for all your input.I guess i'm trying to get a good idea of what it
the atmosphere will feel like.I suppose it will be like my first time sky diving
last year .Tense at first ,nervous as hell in the plane,but once your out the
door its just awesome.The chute opening without a hitch is a plus too.
I just like to have as best an idea as i can going into something new.After
all this is serious fun so to speak .I guess its because i consider myself to
be different from your average sport bike rider,i'm not really aggressive
or careless ,i just like to enjoy what the bike can do within my limits.Hey
you guys ever considering putting your screen names on your shirts or something,
so when someone like me shakes your hand we know who you are?

Thanks

Be SAFE

finny47

SHADER;51548 wrote: it will be like my first time sky diving
last year .Tense at first ,nervous as hell in the plane,but once your out the
door its just awesome.
I've done skydiving too. This completely blows skydiving out of the water.

jsin38

I was pretty darn slow my first time out. I was only 3 months into the sport and was riding the bike I had wanted since I was 16 and scared to death of dumping it. But the CR (Pascal) pulled me aside and told me that I looked comfortable on the bike and to watch my lines through the corners. Use the cones as markers and the speed will come.

As for screen names on t-shirts, the CRs all wear bright orange shirts over the leathers that say Follow Me. Can't miss 'em. Everyone else I've met has been very approachable and more than willing to help.

One last thing to help with the whole experience: http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf :D

beac83

SHADER;51548 wrote: I guess its because i consider myself to
be different from your average sport bike rider,i'm not really aggressive
or careless ,i just like to enjoy what the bike can do within my limits.
I rode my first track day last July after 35 years on the street. On the street I have always been a very careful and aware rider, always looking for the next possible danger and setting up my 'out'. As a result, I have never been very aggressive on-street, and have never crashed on the street. My only higher speed street runs have been under conditions that I was completely comfortable with (regardless of what the LEO officer said!). My street bikes over the years have ranged from my first CB160 to a Gold Wing and a fun range of standard, sport-touring, and sportbikes in-between.

So I get on the track in the first session, and am immediately aware that I'm over my head. By the third lap, guys are flying past me :wow: while I'm still trying to follow the CR and figure out my line.

By lunchtime, I'm starting to get the hang of this, and starting to have fun. Got a little overconfident after lunch and received a quick lesson in riding within my limits (or what happens when you don't :doh:), and after that, it's all been good.

You will be fine and have a great time. Welcome to the addiction (mine took three track days to take hold - I'm a slow learner!).

Like everywhere else, ride your ride. Listen to the CR's - they know more than it might at first seem. You will catch on and build speed soon enough. :)

Welcome. And you will find we are a friendly and helpful bunch. My first trackday, I borrowed tools and parts from guys I met minutes earlier to get out there.

tattsailor

Shader and I will both be newbies on the same day at NJMP, and I am looking forward to the expierence.

However, I am not too concerned about my speed at the moment for my first time out. I am looking at it as a learning expierence and a great time to meet new friends and enjoy myself.
It is my vacation time and I plan on enjoying myself and no better way, but on 2 wheels. In the past vacations I have rented bikes in the Phillipines, all over the USA and Middle East. But, this will be an entirely new expeierence for me.
Like I said before, I plan on enjoying myself on the 15th at NJMP. See ya there.

TATTS

stephenjpauls

slow_honda;51591 wrote: Nesba sets up cones at the track
I have never been to an event where cones were set up. I think this is based on the region. Clockwork as your in the midwest I think you will have the same experience that I have (no cones).

SHADER

Another noob "question"

I'm one of those inseam challenged people so to speak ,so my
current gsxr is lowered.I plan on raising it back up if i don't scare
myself silly for track days,but do you expierenced gentlemen and ladies
think it will be a problem for the intro?

rk97

not for intro, but soon thereafter.

you've essentially increased the fork angle by lowering the rear. That will make your bike turn-in slower. I had to do the opposite on my EX500 and on the F2 to get them to turn in more quickly.

don't sweat it for intro day, but start looking for the stock suspension links :)