Track day bike maintenance suggestions?

Trent1098S

I'm new to track days, and I'm turning my Ducati 1098S in to a track-only bike. I was wondering what differences there are in maintenance for track bikes vs. street bikes as they are run much harder on the track. Here's some questions that came to mind:

Oil changes; how often?

Brake fluid - change when pads are changed or how often??

Chain cleaning & lube; how often? (I got the wear specs from the service manual, so I will know when to change the chain out)

Is there anything else that needs to be checked more frequently? What should I be on the lookout for when checking the bike between sessions?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Trent

Joe Vital

Trent,
I change the oil after every weekend at the track.
As for brakes, each bike/rider/pad is different, keep and eye on the to get to know what yours does. Pads have a wear indicator built into them. Change them when you have reached that limit. Our parts guys have good stuff they can get you. The current trend is Vesrah. Everyone that uses them loves them.

My chain regimine is the same as oil changes. Clean and lube after every weekend. Unless you have done some trackside site seeing. Then clean the chain from any dirt or grass that may have accumulated.

This may seem obvious, but I think it bears repeating. Safety wire your oil drain, filler cap, and oil filter.

One more thing, have fun and welcome to the addiction.

toptaz1000rr

i change oil very other TD and filter every 3rd...
chain .. lube and check a few days before EVERY TD to adjust /repalce /lube
personally i run engine ice and love it !!!
brakes unless i am on the indicators.. i expect to change them seasonally...if there is a problem .. then i change them sooner ..

Trent1098S

I appreciate the advice! Will spend Wednesday night safety wiring, changing the coolant and oil before Putnam.

My chain needs cleaned.. I ran off twice this weekend in turn 6 at BHF - once when I ran wide from a botched turn in, and once when my motor died mid-corner. Bike jerked on me as I turned in, and all the lights on the dash flashed like I'd just cycled the key, and it was dead. I had to coast off to the grass to restart the bike.

My 1098S has the engine stall issue, been to the dealers a couple of times - including for the recall earlier this year when I had my ECU replaced. Now that it's happened at speed on the track in a tight corner it's a more than just annoying, but I don't have time to hit the dealership until next week. Hopefully it doesn't do it again next weekend. Don't like having a timebomb between my legs.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Just an FYI, Engine Ice is just as slippery as regular antifreeze, and isn't allowed in the A group...distilled water + Water Wetter only. You are allowed to use antifreeze in B and I, but it's still best for everyone if you switch it to water + Water Wetter.

Trent1098S

Already got watter wetter mixed and ready to go. Hopefully I can get all this done tonight as I won't have a chance thursday or Friday, unless I stay up until midnight working on it in the trailer once we get to Indiana Friday! Not sure how long it'll take me to do safety wiring, flush the coolant, and do the oil change on the 1098 because honestly, I've never even pulled the fairings off before. I got the service manual now so that'll help, but it's still a little intimidating. :)

ceptorman

With all you have to do just kinda do them in order of priority. If your oil HAS to be changed, then do that first. Most of what else you mentioned can wait. You need to be mentally and physically prepared also. Don't be in a huge hurry to get a certain item finished and end up being all stressed out and tired. I noticed on another thread you need tires, a certain nut to remove rear tire, new rear stand. And I think you have a drive to get to Putnam also? It sounds like your plate is pretty full. I will be there Sat if you need any help....red RC51 #109. Have fun and good luck.....Bill

Trent1098S

That's good advice, I was starting to feel like I was going to tear my hair out with everything to do with only one evening available this week to do it all in. I gotta remember to slow down to go fast.

Besides the two track days, I've got 1900 street miles on my current oil, 2600 miles on my brake fluid. With the two track days this weekend do you think I should do it before or after this weekend? There's a long stretch between the next track days so if you think it'd be safe to let it go until that gap, that'd take some pressure off. Next scheduled service was 7500 miles until I started riding on the track.

Aside from tires, Marshall at Turn One somehow managed to miraculously get my new race bodywork overnighted from the manufacturer (he's even picking it up for me at O'Hare), so I'll have to swap that all out this weekend as well. I can't believe how helpful the guys at Turn One have been, I've never received this level of service from any business I've ever dealt with before, period. It's impressive.

ceptorman

I think the brake fluid would be fine till the winter break. The oil has a few miles but would probably be ok also. I've heard a trackday is about the same as 1000 miles on your oil, so I think 3900 miles is ok, especially if time isn't on your side before a oil change.

So, you also have to mount new bodywork before Sat? WOW.....your list just keeps growing. Turn One mounts bodywork also. They are top notch, and always willing to help. Good luck