Trailer Brake Controllers

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I need to get my trailer inspected and titled in my name. Yeah, I've had it a year and haven't done anything yet, but I really need to. They won't inspect my trailer unless I have the brakes hooked up and working. I needed to buy a brake controller and found this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Dodge/Ram+Pickup/2004/HM47294-47755.html?vehicleid=2004106284

It's a really simple installation since my truck is equipped with the 7-way harness already. Looks like it has all the features I need (proportional control, time delay and ease of use). I probably should have asked first, then bought the thing. But, I am an impulse buyer and it looked like a nice unit.

So, did I buy a good product or not? TIA

stow

It is very simple as long as your truck has the OEM harness for the brake controller in the cab. By the way, I have a prodigy brake controller that I can sell to you for $55 if you are interested.

Shane

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Thanks Stowe, but I already bought this one. I was just looking for confirmation. My truck is equipped with the factory harness and should just plug-and-play. We'll see we I go to install the thing.

Matt H

Don't know on that one. If anyone is looking to buy Shane's, I have a Tekonsha (Prodigy), and it works great.

stow

Thunderace;175382 wrote: Thanks Stowe, but I already bought this one. I was just looking for confirmation. My truck is equipped with the factory harness and should just plug-and-play. We'll see we I go to install the thing.
It should install fairly easily. There should be a connector under the drivers side dash to plug the brake controller into. If you don't have the controller to oem harness then you will need to do some wiring, but it is not a big deal. The controller to oem harness is bar far the easiest way.

Shane

jcrich

I have never heard of that one, but I have emailed a friend who owns a auto repair business and they are a big hitch installer as well to ask his opinion. I will see what he says and let you know.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I watched the video on the eTrailer site and that pretty much sold me on the product. I took a look under the dash and found the factory connector. I settled on a mid-grade model, price wise. The Tenkonsha's looked nice, but were $30-40 more. I've used the trailer for a year without any trailer brakes and it has worked fine. This should just make it a little easier on my truck.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Just got the controller in the mail. Hooked it up in about 10 seconds. Took the trailer for a test ride and everything works great. I still need to find a suitable mounting location. I highly reccommend it to people that have trailer brakes.

Matt H

...or even install brakes on your trailer. It's simple to do and cheap. And having trailer brakes, even with regular sized trailers, is SOOOO worth it.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
The prodigy is the best and worth the money if you really need brakes. I had a cheaper version with my 20ft trailer and then upgraded to the prodigy. Wish I would have bought that one in the first place. Would have saved me $65