Trailers

TwoTyres

I am thinking about getting an enclosed trailer to make my life easier, it sucks loading 2 bikes and all the gear in the back of a F150.

So, there are dozens of brands with a huge range of models. I know i want a quality trailer but more money i spend on it means less i spend on the bike and track.

I have seen good deals on new haulmarks but they are the ones with a single axle, is this ok or should i get a double axle. Do they pull better? If i get a SA i will upgrade it to electric brakes.

a 6x12 looks to be the right size but what about height? the low rider would pull easier but a +6" would mean i can stand upright in side.

What should be avoided and what is a must?

Tony A

two t,
i have a pace 6x12 thats 6-10" high single axle
I have no issue witht the single axle it pulls fine (80 down 81 to summit)and has more then enough weight rating.
Room for two bikes and all the gear.
I live in New Holland so if you want to look at one let me know.

kd83

Lee,

Mine is a 6x12 with a height of 6". Justin's bike and mine fit in there pretty easily and then we load all our gear in there and still have room. No problems doing 80 down the highway and it never sways on me either. I think single axel is more then enough when your just hauling bikes to and from the track.

I got mine at all pro west on the pike by CV high school. Mine doesn't have trailer brakes but the truck does have upgraded brakes so it wasn't as important for me, but still would be a good option along with radial tires.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Brakes aren't a bad idea, but not a nescesity. Plus with brakes comes a yearly inspection. I would recommend getting it without and if you feel the need you can always add it and not require the inspection. If your one that doesn't like to check things then maybe the yearly inspection is not a bad idea.

Most 6x12 and a 2990lbs rating to come in under the inspection requirements and that is a lot of weight capacity. I had a 6x12 pulled by an F250 and barely knew it was back there. I also had it filled to capacity with built in cabinets, tool boxes, canpies fuel jugs etc. Now with the 8.5x20 V-nose I have, I wouldn't want to try and haul that without brakes. Not a big issue on flat or uphill but on a downgrade you just won't stop with a bigger heavier trailer.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have a dual axle 7x14, because there's 2 of us with a lot of stuff! For one, a 6x12 single axle will give you lots of room, still giving the option of brining a second person/bike if you want. A 5x8 would work for one, but I'd feel cramped. The thing I like about a dual axle is the ability to load/unload, etc. with it unhitched. If you get a single axle, get the attached jack stands on the rear so you can load, etc. if it's unhitched.
Brakes aren't required on a 6x12 like they are for a 7x14, but it's still not a bad idea to have them. Make sure you get a spare tire. As far as specific brands, idk. Mine's a US Cargo. We've had it several years, no problems. Get the wheel bearings repacked every other year.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Hey Lee! :D "Brakes aren't required on a 6x12 like they are for a 7x14," Judy is correct! I have a special built 6X12 V-Nose. My trailer is a shorty its only 79" tall and is the same height as my van.
I have a single axle and had mine built with electric brakes. I sometimes load up with 3 bikes and gear. You'll be happy with the brakes and you'll save wear and tear on your trucks brakes too!

TwoTyres

One last question.
I know getting the studs 16" oc is the better constructed trailer but 24" oc is cheaper and more common. Is there a big difference in the strength. Does the wall flex alot more? is it worth getting the 16"

TwoTyres

Well, after searching for new and used trailers i found a barely used, fully loaded Haulmark low hauler, i made a really low offer because of the way the market is right now and after 15 minutes, it was accepted. I bought it last week and started to change it a little to suit me.

First i painted the walls white and the floor skid resistant grey. The ceiling is already finished in white sheet metal. I added a shelf at the front with divided compartments to keep stuff from sliding all over.
I am in the process of building a strapless type stand and I will add more storage if needed.

If its nice this weekend it will get a buff and polish. I did half of one side to see it it will shine up, it does. Other than that, its ready to go to the track.

trailer003.jpg

trailer002.jpg

trailer001.jpg

There are great deals out there, you just have to be patient and lucky.