Trckdays in the rain

BillFred

I bought a spare set of wheels and rain tires this year (used, sorry Marshal).
I'm sure if I dropped $150 on a rain suit I could guarantee absolutely no rain at any track I am near!!!

ktuso27

Thanks for all the insight. Im gonna try to get a rain suit and make the best of it. Its been a long winter and i cant wait to get back on the track. Im going to be running bridgestone BT015s on my zx6 (tires have only one trackday on them) so i hope grip is adequate. Im not super fast by any means so I hope to have a good time and keep everything in one piece to come back April 10th w/ NESBA.

jsin38

"Rain Tires

A word concerning rain tires is necessary considering most riders and mechanics do the opposite of what is needed for the tire to work. The carcass of the tire needs to be firm to retain the tread pattern’s natural ability to force rain water out of the sipes to provide traction. Thusly, raising the air pressure 2-4 pounds over normal slicks, rather than lowering it, is mandatory. This enables the rain tire to grip through the water to the track’s surface; instead of the pattern collaspsing from lack of air. Rain tire patterns are also designed to disperse the rain water from the tire gripping surfaces. The design and the low durometer rubber of the tire provides the bite."

The above was found at http://nationalprivateer.com/Racetirepressure.html

Long ago I used to autocross a VW GTI and when the rain would come, we would run as much PSI as possible to prevent hydroplaning. The less surface area on the tire exposed to the wet tarmac the better. That leaves less opportunity for that traction robbing layer of water to wedge itself between the rubber and the road.

I've not put this into practice on a motorcycle so those with experience please dive in here and let us know if more PSI makes sense.

Steve

I've not put this into practice on a motorcycle so those with experience please dive in here and let us know if more PSI makes sense.
I don't have any experience with rain tires, but it kinda makes sense to me. The reason for lowering the pressures is to build more heat, but I don't think you'd be able to get heat in a tire if you had enough water to run rains :dunno: And if you don't build heat you don't build up enough pressure to do what you describe.

steve p

Rain tires are the 8th wonder of the world. They are designed for one purpose only, to go fast in the rain.
Rain days at the track are great for all the reasons stated in this thread. However rain tires are built different and use different chemicals and compounds to generate the heat needed for them to heat up in the water. They use a high content of silica (sp) which allows the tire to stick better in the wet conditions.
Generally you don't want to vary either way more than 1 or 2 pounds either way of the manufactures recommended pressure settings. They have already done the testing for you. Put them on, be smooth, and just ride the bike.

Revvin' Evan

Rain riding is the tits! Done it on DOT's and 2ct's. At Jennings and at Beaver. Learned a ton and had so much fun.

Shameless plug: I've got a brand new set of bridgestone rains for sale. Will fit SV's 600's and 750's.