Troubleshooting a 01 GSXR 600 electrical issue

stephenjpauls

All,

I have a 2001 GSXR that I had out and while on the track the screw that holds in the positive cable rattled loose. I reconnected the cable, but now the the display says "CHEK" and the fuel pump doesn't prime. I don't know much about these bikes and don't know what to check.

I have changed the 15a fuse for ignition and the 10a fuse for the fuel pump with the extra fuses in the box, but I'm thinking about going out and getting a bunch of 10a and 15a fuses and replacing them all with new. I found that there is a 30a fuse on some unit just behind the battery... I'm not sure what this is and don't have a replacement fuse for it, but I will buy one just to make sure. (Are bike fuses the same size as standard car fuses or do I need to go to a motorcycle shop to buy new fuses?)

What I'm worried about is that I may have lost the ECM as the manual says to never disconnect the positive lead while the bike is running or you could damage it, and that is exactly what happened. Is there any way to check an ECM to see if it went bad... if so how?

Thanks so much for your help!

PJZOCC624

I believe the only way to check the ECM is by using the mfg software (ie, probably need to take it to Suzuki and have them plug it in to diagnose it). I wanna say that there is a way to reset the ECM when something like this happens (kinda like hitting *ctrl-alt-del* on your home computer), and hopefully a Suzuki guy will know how to do it.

I know, I'm not much help, but maybe this will spur someone's memory??? Good luck, and let us know what the final verdict is!

stephenjpauls

update

Thanks for the input PJ!

I have replaced all of the fuses and the fuel pump still doesn't prime. As the bike was working fine until I lost the lead, I'm thinking that the loss of power while running killed something. The problem is I don't know what it could be, and would prefer not have to take it to a dealer due to the cost of tracing down electrical problems.