Upgrading tires.....Why? (Derek, Moon et al)

physicistkev

Control Rider
So here I am at the end of a season that has been very good to me. I am running a pace I feel comfortable with and getting a decent amount of life out of my tires. I purchased 2 sets of DCIII's on the 2 sets of rims I have. I did 3 TD's and then flipped the first rear. Did 2 more TD's and replaced the rear. I have done an additional 2 TD's and last night put on the second front and I plan on flipping the rear at the next TD. So 7 days on a front, 5 days on the first rear (3 normal and 2 flipped) and 2 days on the second rear and it needs to be flipped.

I could probably get another 2 days out of the front and the flipped rear but I am wondering if I should try or not.

My concerns with the DCIII's are this, I am wearing the rear on the right side very abruptly. The tire still has plenty of grip but I am putting a grove in it just off of full lean that is making the transition a bit squirly. So full lean is fine, and once I pick the bike up and get on the gas I am fine but going from one to the other is an eye opener. This happens towards the end of the second day and the third day on the rear is about managing the transition. Once I flip it I have to manage the transition on left handers and the right handers are a bit better but its not long before the groove is warn on the right side again.

I have seen video of myself from a following rider and you can clearly see the black stripes I am leaving on corner exit. For example, at VIR North I was leaving a mark from 15 feet passed the apex at the hog pen to the second or third garage. It's got to be 300+ feet long. This is obviously where my tire is going.

I have no problems with the front at all. The front tire is around 140F-144F when I come off of the track, very consistent. The rear tire can range from 155F-177F when I come off of the track. The ranges are due to the pace I am running during any given session. I have fluctuated the tire pressures by a few psi to try to increase the temp up front and try to keep the rear a bit cooler. I have had some very good success with the front, decreasing the tire pressure which, improved the feel and got the tire temps in the 140's. The rear has been less successful. I have tried to increase the pressure to keep the rear tire a little cooler but I can only keep it in the 160's before the rear starts to get real vague when I run a fast pace.

I was wondering if going to a SuperCorsa Pro(or SP or slick) rear will actually wear a bit better? Or is it only going to wear faster? I am under the impression that the SuperCorsa Pro works better at a higher temperature and therefore should be able to last longer and offer better traction at the higher temp I am keeping the rear at.

If I need to "step up" can I use the DCIII with a different rear? The DCIII seems to be the tire for me up front since the tire wears properly, grips very well and runs at an appropriate temp using appropriate tire pressure.

I am open to "just try it and see" but I wanted to know from people who have gone through the tire experience already and of course from the guys that seem to know everything about the tires to begin with.

Thanks,

Kevin

Matt H

In my experience with both tires, I have never had the SC Pro's wear better/last longer than the DCIII's. What they do is offer more performance - the DCIII's ultimate traction is a bit lower than the SC Pro. Pushing the DCIII to its limit does not make it wear faster than an SC Pro not at its limit at the same pace.

JVance

I'd go with slicks. In my experience they last longer than any other tire I have used. I experienced far less problems with tearing and so forth with slicks.

Mr. Blindrider

I have been running slicks lately but the Pro's give me more life. Both feel great but can't seem to get the life I would like out of the slicks. Maybe it's the tracks I run. Trying slicks again at Barber and with suspension changes I am keeping my fingures crossed.

Jvance, you going next month?

JVance

Yep I'll be at Barber on the 8th and 9th. Looking forard to it. I haven't gotten to do many trackdays this year. See you there, we'll do some laps together.

John
#607A

Mr. Blindrider

JVance;21691 wrote: Yep I'll be at Barber on the 8th and 9th. Looking forard to it. I haven't gotten to do many trackdays this year. See you there, we'll do some laps together.

John
#607A

Look us up, I will be there both days and coming in on Friday.

Mental note, #607:D