Weeping Brake Bleeder

pearsonm

I can’t get the bleeder screws on my ‘06 SV650S to stop weeping. I keep spraying them down with brake cleaner, blowing them out with compressed air and wiping everything dry but they keep weeping.

I replaced the bleeder screws and have tightened them as far as I dare (I previously used a torque wrench on the original bleeders but it felt tighter than I was comfortable with). I've tried thread tape.

I should have some Speed Bleeders in tomorrow, however as I understand it’s the screw and seat that does the sealing, not the threads, so I’m not confident that the thread seal on the Speed Bleeders is going to solve my problem. I can’t find a cutting tool or a shop that can re-cut the caliper seat.

I recently installed stainless lines so I’ve had a zip tie keeping steady pressure on the lever to make sure the line washers held, which they have. I just cut off the zip tie and decided to only use compressed air and a rag for a while to see if maybe it’s brake cleaner that’s weeping out rather than brake fluid.

There’s a pop-up track day at Hallett this Saturday so I’m getting desperate. Anyone have any ideas? I searched over at SVRider.com and it appears to be a common problem but nobody ever reports back what their final solution is.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
If the speed bleeders don't work, you're really only left with one option. You may need to get a new set of calipers. You should never use teflon tape on the bleeder screws. The angled head on the bleeder is what crates the seal. The cause may be from over-tightening the bleeder and damaging the actual seat. Here's a set on Fleabay for $71
SV650S Calipers

Best of luck with it!

chikn munky

If its just seeping I don't think I would let it keep me from riding.I would just keep an eye on it.
When I put ss lines on my sv, I got seeping at the crush washers mc and caliper. Was'nt sure what to do about it so I just kept them wiped off and rode it, it quit after a few days. Maybe different with a bleeder screw.

rubberman

Generally reusing the copper washers on brake lines & banjo bolts does lead to some fluid weeping. You can heat the washers up briefly with a propane torch (slowly heat up and let them cool). This allows them to seal properly again.

Other option is to pick up some Permatex High Temp thread sealant at Advanced Auto (small white tube with red text), it's located right near the threadlocker & silicone / gasket sealants aisle. I've used this stuff on my bike and it has worked fine.

The speedbleeders come with a sealant applied to the threads, but you can also call up the company that makes them and order more sealant because it eventually comes off or use the thread sealant I mentioned above.

pearsonm

I just got back from Hallett and everything went fine. No drips, no runs, no errors. I think what was weeping was cleaner instead of fluid. I thought cleaner evaporated quickly and thoroughly taking all the fluid with it, but once I stopped using cleaner and just compressed air it gradually went away.

I haven’t decided whether or not to put the Speed Bleeders in.

BigKid

I would leave well enough alone until you can have a spare set of calipers on hand. IE get another set off e-bay before you have to bleed those again.

pearsonm

BigKid;35699 wrote: I would leave well enough alone until you can have a spare set of calipers on hand. IE get another set off e-bay before you have to bleed those again.
If I'm going to dump money into new calipers I'd just as soon upgrade to something better, however I'm not finding anything. Plus, I'm suprised how plentiful and relatively cheap late model, low mileage used calipers are so I'll probably just pick me up a spare set, like you said.

I also ran across these guys: Goldline Brakes. I sent them an email asking if they can recut the seats or maybe install inserts.

What's everyone's opinion on Speed Bleeders? I like the idea of being able to bleed the lines by myself. Plus there's less wear and tear on the bleeder screw to caliper seat seal.