weird brake noise

jay956

I have this strange whining sound coming from the front brakes. i just noticed it yesterday, but i usually wear earplugs so it could have been happening since ive had the bike. the sound is there weather or not the brakes are applied, but the pitch changes when applied, not really louder though. performance doesnt seem to be affected.

ive got a superhawk, f4i brake calipers, stock rotors, ebc hh pads.

any ideas?

Zippy

How clean are your brake pistons? I would start by taking out the pads for a close inspection, and cleaning around the pistons with a toothbrush. The dirt can keep the pistons from retracting after they've been applied.

Meat

If it sounds like a stone lightly rubbing on metal, it is probably fine. I road my BMW around the block (after it was transported) without a helmet and I was freaking out because I thought something was damaged. It was just the brakes functioning normally.

jay956

Meat;114743 wrote: If it sounds like a stone lightly rubbing on metal, it is probably fine. I road my BMW around the block (after it was transported) without a helmet and I was freaking out because I thought something was damaged. It was just the brakes functioning normally.
yes that is exactly what it sounds like. thanks!

jay956

so i was listening to it more yesterday. its probably still nothing but just wanted to post up just in case. it sounds like a locust (not joking), and it get quieter as i slow down. i also cleaned the pistons, and its probably about time for a bleed.

snikwad

ebc pads do that... its normal, once theyre broken in thry make a wizz sound on applicaion. i loved the sound :)

snikwad

naw, lol, itsa ebc thing... it goes weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when you grab the brakes, i love it. :)

Mikey75702

snikwad;118949 wrote: mm, dunno, never heard any other sintered pad make that noise.
?? I am just imagining, I have only run the EBC and the OEM suzuki ones...and they sound the same. Going Galfer this go, so I guess I will find out for sure

Edit: Have just mounted and tested the Galfer HH pads... They are dead quite.