What do you use to tighten and loosen head nut

Meat

Ok, I don't know what the goofy nuts are really called but they are the 35 mm collar with 8 square notches cut out. It looks like a really small spanner wrench would be used but the Kawi Service manual calls out a socket. Also, not sure how sensitive the torque setting is on these.

I assume other bikes (mine is a 2005 zx6r) have a similar set-up.

I just want to grease the head bearings (triple tree bearings).

The nuts I am trying to remove and reinstall are part numbers 92210 and 92210A.

What type of tool should I use on these and where would I get one?

Thank you for your help.

Joe Vital

to add to what dj suggested, I have a selection of sockets so modified. there is also an adjustable one with a 3/8ths drive that you can use your torque wrench with. i can't find a link to it right now.

and of course you can always use the bfh and screwdriver method...(this is a joke do not do this unless you are willing to ruin your bearing)

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Similar to what DJ posted, I started with a ball joint socket (automotive type), and modified it a little. Way less grinding/material removal than starting with a standard socket.

Meat

DJ, thanks for your help. I picked up a 1-7/16 socket at Northern Tool last night. The northern tool in Greenville didn't have metric sockets large enough. I haven't started grinding on it yet. I need to pick up a bottle of vodka first. ;-)

Joe, if you end up finding a link please post it as I also wouldn't mind having a tool to remove the swingarm castle nut (that is what Kawi calls it), but it has to be torqued to something like 77 ft-lbs.

Steve-o, thanks for the ball joint socket idea. I would have looked into it if I hadn't already purchased a 1-7/16" socket.

Joe Vital

meat, the adjustable pin wrench i was talking about is to be used on the steering stem.

what i use for the swing arm are the modified sockets.

Joe Vital

once you get a feel for the correct bearing preload a simple spanner wrench is all that is needed, or a bfh and screwdriver. but it takes a bit of practice to get it right. do it wrong and the bearngs won't last a weekend.
getting it right is key to solving a whole lot of 'suspension' problems. the surest method to getting it right it use the correct tools, and method the manual says to use.

some techniques suggest using a fish scale...

Joe Vital

meat,
the pin wrench i was referencing looks kind of like this:

penske_shock_spanner.JPG

except it has a cresent wrench type adjuster on it.

Meat

Joe Vital;98916 wrote: meat,
the pin wrench i was referencing looks kind of like this:

penske_shock_spanner.JPG

except it has a cresent wrench type adjuster on it.
Thanks for helping out Joe. I saw a modified Crescent wrench in the link DJ had in his post. I am guessing that is similar to what you were talking about.

I am just not familiar with motorcycle tools or fasteners and what the heck to do with them.

Maybe this weekend I can go crazy on my new socket and make it work for the steering nut in question.

I am a bit nervous about taking apart a fully operational triple tree to clean and grease it with the risk of really screwing it up, but that is the price I pay to learn to maintain my bike.

JRA

I have an adjustable spanner that I use on steering stem nuts. It looks like the one pictured but is hinged so that it will fit several different size nuts. If you can make a socket that will fit that would be the best way to go. I'm sure Kawasaki sells the exact socket needed to loosen and tighten the nut but it probably costs an arm and a leg.

In regard to the correct torque on the nuts it is critical. Too tight and your front end will wander all over the place. Too loose and well... your steering head is loose. It's a fine line and requires some feel. I've never had the correct socket for my GSXR's (it's about $80 from Suzuki) but I would think that having a tool that you can put a torque wrench on would solve that problem.