will it work ?

meltonrjackson

hope this isnt a stupid qustion, i cant afford top notch parts right now , dont know when i can. i look on ebay and found alot of stuff in my price range, just dont know if will work or be expensive to do.i found brembo brake calibers f and b ohlins rear shock both off of ducati and a ohlins stearing damper off of a zx6r. i now they are cheap for a reason but its got to be better than my stock stuff, any and all advice would be great full .

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
You didn't specify which bike you are on.

Here would be my list of needs/wants in the order i would do them:
Good set of tires
Stainless Steel lines and pads
Shock, kinda goes with the forks
Fork Springs and revalve or cart kits if money isn't an issue
Controls: Rear sets/clipons/Levers
Pipe
Fuel management (PCIII, Bazazz Kit ecu, pick your poison)

Mikey75702

If you are lacking funds that much, probably best to get good tires, then set up the suspension with new springs and fresh oil, then ride the thing till you get more money.

Chip

Most of us can't really get the full potential out of bone stock bikes. A hodge podge mix of parts with fancy names that may or may not work with your bike aren't going to make you faster. Freshen up your factory parts that need it, and spend the money you have on a good set of tires and more track time (two things that WILL make you faster).

gkotlin

The Ohlins OEM stuff that you find on ebay from street bikes is not the same as the Ohlins aftermarket stuff.

NickMcCoy

All of the parts you mentioned will not fit your bike so you probably shouldn't buy them. Most parts are not interchangeable between models and years much less manufacturers so you should only be looking for parts designed for your exact bike.

As for the parts you mentioned, aftermarket calipers are completely unnecessary, buy some pads and lines for $150-200. A damper is nice to have but only necessary when you're getting heavy headshake, if you are experiencing, this spend $300-400 for a good damper. And unless you're very fast the stock suspension works just fine. If you are having problems with it and have an extra $500-2,500+ you can upgrade your forks and shock but again it's usually not necessary for trackdays.

some guy #2

Be careful of the chinese brembo and dampers. They basically copied the look but you have no idea about the internals. I would venture to say they are not much different but who's going to test it out?

gkotlin

Spring the suspension and ride the wheels off of it. That will do you fine until your in the A group.

If you have head shake, fix the problems first! To many people get head shake and buy a damper. It's never a bad thing to have a damper. (I know first hand) But don't let the damper mask more issues. Suspension, head bearings, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, geometry. They all can cause head shake. Track surface and riding style can have a part in it as well. When things aren't right on a motorcycle, figure out why. Not everything can be solved from a Google search and shopping on Ebay.