arai vs. agv helmets

trailmug

Not a lot has changed in 5 years, except that Snell seems to finally be acknowledging that the energy absorption needs of someone with a smaller head differ from those of someone with a larger head.

Matt

633761899407989620-facepalm.jpg

ronhix

If a company that makes very high quality products chooses to partner with this club that we all love, we should strive to buy that company's products as much as we can.

If a company like Arai is willing to support this club, we need to be willing to support them back.

If we don't, how can we expect them to continue to be willing to put their skin into the NESBA game?

Fit is the #1 thing with helmets. But if an Arai fits you, please don't go out and buy a Shark or AGV or Shoei or whatever. Please support those that support us. In an economy like this, the club needs these sponsors on board to stay healthy.

Running a race team and personally dealing with sponsorships for the last 3 years has given me a bit of insight into what it is like to sit on both sides of the table. It is key that we support those who support us.

stow

I have to say I love my Shark RS2R helmet. I also loved my Arai until I crashed at Barber and destroyed a $600 helmet. It did its job, but the one thing I did not like is getting a face full of gravel after the Arai face shield popped off on the first head impact. The Arai shield retention sucks. When they change that design, I will consider buying another Arai.

realyamr1

I hear u I had the same happen to me with my corsair v on the street and the arai Rep said the base plates r. Weak and if they take a hard impact they would break and the visor would come off that's what u get for 799.99. But the fit is great

BigBird

my shark visor has popped off in a crash...and as I found out, it happens a lot to a variety of helmets.

stow

BigBird;157479 wrote: my shark visor has popped off in a crash...and as I found out, it happens a lot to a variety of helmets.
I have seen many visors pop off in a crash. The Arai is the only one that has ever came off in any of my crashes and unfortunately for my head, bank account, and dead bikes, I have crashed enough.

The Arai shield retention is just silly. Yes I know there is a top super secret way to install and swap out shields. But honestly if the mechanism can be easily broke just by miss-aligning the shield during a quick shield swap, then it is a poor design.

mattf

slowpoke;157293 wrote: I have not read up on helmets like some others so I apologize for my ignorance. What I have done is crashed at triple digits in my Arai and my head hit the ground first w/ a significant impact.

After that experience, I would have a hard time wearing anything but an Arai. Plus, it doesn't hurt that they're a NESBA sponsor and their customer service is kickass.
^ This.

I've been here at the triple digits, and my Arai was what saved me....I walked away (once I woke up!)

lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

lid4.jpg

LOrtega

Control Rider
realyamr1;157416 wrote: i sold helmet at cycle gear for a living and talked to a lot of people reps from a lot helmet companys and the info im giving is from those reps and research i did on my own
I have read through this and tried to hold my tounge but whatever rep your have been speaking to is talking out of his or her FART BOX....:banghead:

ARAI does not make the Helmet Ben Spies is wearing in MotoGP..Its an HJC made by HJC, in Korea..

As for SHOEI and ARAI the helmets you buy in the store ARE!!! the exact SAME helmets that all SHOEI and ARAI sponsored riders wear ... the helmets are tagged as soon as they come out of the molds with the riders Initials and they follow the same exact process of manufacturing that every single helmet made at their factories follows...:rtfm:

The only differance is that racer specific helmets are given custom fitting cheek pads and racer specific graphics...:agree:

And I am not Talking out of my FART BOX because I am a SHOEI and HJC rep and I have been to the SHOEI factory and have seen the process first hand...:wow:

We all get you like Shark and thats great for you,,,,
And I am glad you did your research as flawed as it may be...

but truth be told SHOEI and ARAI destroy about 8000 helmets a year combined in product testing....Their commitment to safety is unmatched that is why they are the top 2 Premium brands in the world....So wear what you wish but seriously everyone should do their own research

geekmug

LOrtega;157622 wrote: Furthermore here is a video which speaks for itself ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIQuH5lkN9w

So
That video does a great job of explaining why I fear for my noggin' with current helmet tech. That man claims to have landed on to his head and shoulder at ~250mph and they said the helmet was "good to go" (according to him). W.T.F. That helmet should've been toast. That it wasn't toast means either his shoulder took the impact (he didn't mention whether he broke any bones), that the salt flat is softer than asphalt (pretty sure it is), or that helmet is way too stiff for its intended application (he was setting a landspeed record for goodness sake!).

I'm not sure why Shoei thinks that it is a positive marketing item to say their helmet was unscathed by such a tremendous crash. I want my helmet to destroy itself, and not my brain with a diffuse brain injury. I don't know what sort of impact they are making their helmets for, but that marketing doesn't convince me that their helmet is what I want to protect my head at energy levels my "little" 600 can produce.

The helmet industry's threshold model for injury is certainly to blame here -- AFAICT, their standard seems to only distinguish between a fatal/non-fatal level of injury. Even with such a threshold model, it's unclear to me why even the most stringent standard is only 275gs, when that is already regarded as a serious trauma. I would gladly wear a helmet that had a thicker EPS liner.. why doesn't anyone market a helmet as "the lowest gs in the industry" or "the thickest EPS liner in the industry" instead of "lightest helmet in the industry" or "best airflow." It seems like we all are missing the point.

If nothing else, I will give my nod to the SHARP ratings and their making data available that is otherwise solely abbreviated as "certified" or not in the US.

/rant

Mikey75702

geekmug;157623 wrote: That video does a great job of explaining why I fear for my noggin' with current helmet tech. That man claims to have landed on to his head and shoulder at ~250mph and they said the helmet was "good to go" (according to him). W.T.F. That helmet should've been toast. That it wasn't toast means either his shoulder took the impact (he didn't mention whether he broke any bones), that the salt flat is softer than asphalt (pretty sure it is), or that helmet is way too stiff for its intended application (he was setting a landspeed record for goodness sake!).

I'm not sure why Shoei thinks that it is a positive marketing item to say their helmet was unscathed by such a tremendous crash. I want my helmet to destroy itself, and not my brain with a diffuse brain injury. I don't know what sort of impact they are making their helmets for, but that marketing doesn't convince me that their helmet is what I want to protect my head at energy levels my "little" 600 can produce.

The helmet industry's threshold model for injury is certainly to blame here -- AFAICT, their standard seems to only distinguish between a fatal/non-fatal level of injury. Even with such a threshold model, it's unclear to me why even the most stringent standard is only 275gs, when that is already regarded as a serious trauma. I would gladly wear a helmet that had a thicker EPS liner.. why doesn't anyone market a helmet as "the lowest gs in the industry" or "the thickest EPS liner in the industry" instead of "lightest helmet in the industry" or "best airflow." It seems like we all are missing the point.

If nothing else, I will give my nod to the SHARP ratings and their making data available that is otherwise solely abbreviated as "certified" or not in the US.

/rant
I would imagine if they marketed helmets in the fashion you are asking, they would lose a lot of business. Look at how many riders wear 1/2 helmets, 3/4 helmets, and modular helmets. It has been proven that the safest helmet to wear is a one piece full face, yet all of these people get other helmets for whatever reason. If you look deeper, you can find that shoei and arai are two of the safest helmets in the world, but they market them to try to get the other helmet wearers to buy their product.

slowpoke

Scott - keep in mind that every crash is different. I agree that the guy saying his helmet was undamaged sends a weird message, but the guy survived to talk about it.

Look above in this thread at MattF's helmet which i believe was a highside at NJMP from Turn 3c (approx 70-80mph) and his helmet is clearly destroyed. It really depends on how you hit the ground as many will tell you.

I'm sure Sanders can chime in about some high speed crashes he's had due to brake failure. Dave's had the highest speed crashes of anyone I know personally and his last one had zero helmet damage. Sometimes the bike and helmet does just fine and other times, well, not so much.

realyamr1

the shark rsr2 is the only helmet that has a full carbone fiber kevlar woven matt shell with crumple zone technology for the regular pulbic. arai and shoei do not offer this to there regular customer base. the shark is design to keep the energy from an impact away from your brain. the top riders racers that wear arai, wear the rx-7gp carbone from arai thats now available for 2000 dollars, but im sure all the reps i talked to are talking out there fart hole to the person that would be selling the helmets but anyway. im sure to say if mr. edwards was to wreck in a gp race his base plate wouldnt fail and his visor just pop off. im sure he would just get up and walk away without a problem from the helmet.

LOrtega

Control Rider
geekmug;157623 wrote: That video does a great job of explaining why I fear for my noggin' with current helmet tech. That man claims to have landed on to his head and shoulder at ~250mph and they said the helmet was "good to go" (according to him). W.T.F. That helmet should've been toast. That it wasn't toast means either his shoulder took the impact (he didn't mention whether he broke any bones), that the salt flat is softer than asphalt (pretty sure it is), or that helmet is way too stiff for its intended application (he was setting a landspeed record for goodness sake!).
/rant
Just so you know I have seen this Helmet and it is far from good to go...
This Helmet is no longer usable and the SHOEI techs told him so..
The Helmet is a Display piece now, it does hold the World Record for being on the man who survived the fast motorcycle crash on record, but it was never worn again...
This video was shot by the rider, SHOEI was one of his sponsors for this world record attempt but he was not directed by shoei marketing when he made this..

The Helmet sustained damage along the entire left side and across the back, the outer shell was not severely damaged only because it was the salt flat, however the EPS liner was compressed in a number of places in the HELMET and that is really what makes it unsafe to wear...

Its all about the EPS liner... I have numerous Helmets that I have seen take small impacts and the outter shell looks fine but the EPS liner is compressed and once that happens its DONE!!!

As for the Helmets being to stiff or rigid, snell 2010 address that issue...Helmets now must be made to different head weights making smaller helmets safer and they have reduced the amounts of acceptable G's from 300 to 250, as well as a handful of other changes... for all intents and purposes make the helmets less rigid .....

However this is the main part of the SNELL vs ECU debate

Snell builds a helmet designed to survive WORSE CASE SENARIOS...this is why the yields on their test are higher...

ECU builds a helmet designed to survive EVERYDAY CASE SENARIOS...this is why the yields on their test are lower...

I have both Helmets standards when I am on the TRACK which one do you think I wear?:notsure:

If you have any question or want any info PM me I have tons of data, Helmet, comparisons, and other information which I will be happy to share with you...

LOrtega

Control Rider
realyamr1;157658 wrote: the shark rsr2 is the only helmet that has a full carbone fiber kevlar woven matt shell with crumple zone technology for the regular pulbic. arai and shoei do not offer this to there regular customer base. the shark is design to keep the energy from an impact away from your brain. the top riders racers that wear arai, wear the rx-7gp carbone from arai thats now available for 2000 dollars, but im sure all the reps i talked to are talking out there fart hole to the person that would be selling the helmets but anyway. im sure to say if mr. edwards was to wreck in a gp race his base plate wouldnt fail and his visor just pop off. im sure he would just get up and walk away without a problem from the helmet.
:puke:

I love how you are telling me who works for SHOEI, does SHOEI racer support, and has worked on the actual helmets SHOEI racers wear what we make our helmest out of ....
Thats great :banghead:

I just forwarded this to some ARAI techs I know as well
they should not be missing out on this fun..:popcorn:

j_fuggin_t

LOrtega;157669 wrote:

I love how you are telling me who works for SHOEI, does SHOEI racer support, and has worked on the actual helmets SHOEI racers wear what we make our helmest out of ....
Thats great :banghead:

I just forwarded this to some ARAI techs I know as well
they should not be missing out on this fun..:popcorn:
:popcorn: :poorguy: