Best bang for buck generator?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Trust me when I tell you...if you pit next to me with a noisy generator I will not be shy about telling you about it. On one occasion I even moved a fellow's generator so that the noisy end pointed at him...not me. He got upset if you can believe it. :wow:

JRA

ama146;233065 wrote: would you say the difference in noise level between a inverter and non-inverter is big enough to justify the extra money?
The answer is unquestionably yes.

If you plan on participating in this sport for any length of time you should invest wisely each time you buy something. No matter what it is you buy, when you go cheap you will be kicking yourself over and over again almost every time you make a choice based solely on what fills the perceived need at the lowest price.

When you want to upgrade or move on to another hobby, a good generator will hold it's value and sell quickly, and you'll almost have to give the cheap one away. When almost every single person you ask says "instead of going the cheap route you should save up and buy **** (insert whatever product here)**** you really should think seriously about listening.

I have both a 2000 and a 6500, and have a couple of thousand hours on each. I've never had to do anything to either but change the oil. I'm not sure I'd be able to say the same if I had based my purchases on what would get me jobsite power for the lowest cost at Home Depot.

Edited to add one more point worth considering...
I used to have a Honda 5K non-inverter genny that we also used on job sites. Even when we parked that thing as far away as possible it was still fatiguing to listen to all day long. Turning it off at lunch was the best time of the whole day. My guess is that having one blasting in your pit all day long would be mentally fatiguing as well. Just a thought.

j_fuggin_t

ama146;233065 wrote: would you say the difference in noise level between a inverter and non-inverter is big enough to justify the extra money?absolutely!! you're talking to someone who tried the cheap route once (mainly because i wanted suspension :D ) and i wasted the money and had to buy a new one because it took a shit. The honda i have now i could list for $700 and it would go like a waffle at a waffle house in the hood :D i will end this with a quote i once heard " buy once & buy right"

JRA;233089 wrote:
The answer is unquestionably yes.

If you plan on participating in this sport for any length of time you should invest wisely each time you buy something. No matter what it is you buy, when you go cheap you will be kicking yourself over and over again almost every time you make a choice based solely on what fills the perceived need at the lowest price.

When you want to upgrade or move on to another hobby, a good generator will hold it's value and sell quickly, and you'll almost have to give the cheap one away. When almost every single person you ask says "instead of going the cheap route you should save up and buy **** (insert whatever product here)**** you really should think seriously about listening.

I have both a 2000 and a 6500, and have a couple of thousand hours on each. I've never had to do anything to either but change the oil. I'm not sure I'd be able to say the same if I had based my purchases on what would get me jobsite power for the lowest cost at Home Depot.

Edited to add one more point worth considering...
I used to have a Honda 5K non-inverter genny that we also used on job sites. Even when we parked that thing as far away as possible it was still fatiguing to listen to all day long. Turning it off at lunch was the best time of the whole day. My guess is that having one blasting in your pit all day long would be mentally fatiguing as well. Just a thought.
:agree:

Meat

ama146;233065 wrote: would you say the difference in noise level between a inverter and non-inverter is big enough to justify the extra money?
Most definitely!!!! I, like most, started with a cheaper generator. At the tracks I was at in TX and OK, it wasn't a big deal. I had 2 100ft 10 gauge extension cords and put my generator far away from the pits, with many other generators.

When I moved to the Southeast, I noticed the pits are set up differently and it wasn't very easy to keep my noisy generator from irritating others. I was really embarrassed as I try to be very considerate.

I quickly bought a Honda EU2000 from WiseSales.com for i think $850 at the time. Selling it for $700 would be easy. I have away my old generator to my neighbor.

So, $400 for a Cummins Onan generator. I used it for about 2 or 3 years. Resale value was zero. So it cost me $400 for 2-3 years.

My EU2000 cost me $850 and could sell it for $700 today. $150 for 4 years. And the generator is very quiet, exceptionally reliable, very easy to carry and transport and have only changed the oil.

And just about EVERYONE HATES to hear a loud generator all day at the track. At night, I will get up and turn it off, if it is near my trailer, without any problems whatsoever. Not to sound like an ass, but I get very very little sleep during the week.

Buckeye96

Do some searches on here. I found a place in Ohio that would ship the Yahmaha genny cheaper than what Wisesales could do.

fitz

Buckeye96;233165 wrote: Do some searches on here. I found a place in Ohio that would ship the Yahmaha genny cheaper than what Wisesales could do.
Hope you're not talking about Honda East Toledo, bought a "new" Yamaha generator from them and it came used and broken, returned it and bought from Wisesales.

Avoid them.

ama146

I am hearing people say they have ran a single set of warmers off of a eu1000 genny. Is that feasible or will it overload the genny?

Meat

ama146;233189 wrote: I am hearing people say they have ran a single set of warmers off of a eu1000 genny. Is that feasible or will it overload the genny?
You will hear all kinds of opinions on this one, just like you will for what tow vehicle is needed.

I Chicken Hawk warmers pull about 1150 Watts. The eu1000i can produce 1000 max watts, with a rated output of 900 watts.

It is your decision.

noobinacan

Honda dude
its so quiet, you can run it right next to you and you'll barely hear it.
its a tool, like any other tool, if you're going to use it a lot, buy quality once.

if you're going to use it once a year, buy anything that will get you through the day.

like meant said courtesy is a big part of it as well, if you run a loud genny, right next to someone, they'll hate you being there.
vs if you run something like Honda, it will bother no one, its pretty much guaranteed.

ama146

im not going to use it every day, yet not once a year so i think i will settle for something inbetween a honda and a harbor freight and get a champion. ive heard they are really quiet and a much more reasonable price

Ruhe52

really quiet is a subjective thing. If you can lay next to it at night and sleep that is really quiet. Other than that Honda or Yamaha but considering I have seen Yamaha guys in the paddock with blacked out hondas with no logos. Honda. As mentioned here. Just be aware of your neighbors. If it is loud do not pit right in the middle of the paddock with your chainsaw sounding power box running.
If you have a loud genny next to you come find me I always have sugar in my trailer.

Buckeye96

fitz;233170 wrote: Hope you're not talking about Honda East Toledo, bought a "new" Yamaha generator from them and it came used and broken, returned it and bought from Wisesales.

Avoid them.
And I bought a new Yamaha genny from them and it arrived in 2 days and was in perfect condition. Go read the reviews for Wisesales.

fitz

Buckeye96;233305 wrote: Go read the reviews for Wisesales.
Why would I read some random review when I have my own to compare from experience? :notsure:

Honda East: Paid for new received USED gen thrown in a single box with no packing material, arrives broken. Call Honda East the salesman has me take pictures to prove it was broken. Manager calls me back and literally starts yelling at me to not dispute the credit card because it causes "problems" (I never even said anything about disputing). (If you know anything about merchant services, too many disputes raises the fees). They have me go through the process with UPS so they can try and blame them for their own lack of packing, which I'm only assuming was broken in transit. I did everything they told me, I just wanted the gen GONE.

Wisesales: Received NEW gen extremely well packed and double boxed with ALL the packing that Honda East claimed that Yamaha doesn't use, plus the manual and a couple tools.

Glad you had luck with Honda East, I don't care if people buy from Wisesales or not, but if I can save someone the grief from buying from Honda East I've done my job. ;)

fitz