NJMP - A little rant (and request for any gopro videos of the crash)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
Meat;290578 wrote:

I'm one that just likes to sit under my canopy and eat between sessions (breakfast, lunch and dinner
too). I really need to get out and socialize a bit more with the newer and out-of-region A-group guys.
Sorry Meat I had to fix it for you...:D It was good seeing you!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
noobinacan;290584 wrote: wow...Judy
That was not fun to read!!
I'm admittedly a little more sensitive after I was taken out last year. Some of the close ones didn't spook me or cause me to alter my line, so technically they were clean. If I see a wheel I'm fine, as I can adjust a teeny bit and I'm fine with that. I just think folks should leave a bit more room. Maybe I spook a bit easier than I did before my crash last September, I'm not sure, but I do take that into account. Of all the close ones, only one spooked me a bit and I had to alter. But it is hard to judge, maybe I didn't have to stand the bike up a little bit like I did, could've just been a reaction.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
vinny337;290585 wrote: I hope your friend has a speedy recovery! To label NJMP as a track that allows trading paint and close passes is a bit of exaggeration. John summed it up...
I don't think anyone meant that nesba allows it. Far from it, it's discussed at the riders' meeting that folks should be courteous in all groups. I just think it happens more there. Doesn't mean it's "allowed", it just is what it is, unfortunately.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Oct 20, 2008
NJ
HondaGalToo;290590 wrote: I don't think anyone meant that nesba allows it. Far from it, it's discussed at the riders' meeting that folks should be courteous in all groups. I just think it happens more there. Doesn't mean it's "allowed", it just is what it is, unfortunately.
I can assure you from the many days I've rode at NJMP this year, that's not the case.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
vinny337;290594 wrote: I can assure you from the many days I've rode at NJMP this year, that's not the case.
You've just ridden so many days there, you're immune to it. ;):D

z064life

Jan 16, 2012
John Weibley;290574 wrote: I hate to hear when someone makes contact and I hope your friend will be ok. The question I have is did anyone go to the powers to be during the day and complain about these nuckleheads and the unsafe way they were riding? It does not matter what class they are riding in they are required to ride in a safe manner. All passes are to be clean and safe. That is the bottom line. If no one said anything then it is really hard to do anything about it now. If nothing else tell one of the CR's. As a CR I would have watched and talked to them to clean up if they don't their day is over. It is up to you riders out there to tell the CR's or the director when this stuff is going on. The offending riders will be dealt with.Keep in mind when you are riding A class any CR's out there are out to play the same as you and may not see what is going on.Speak up and save everyone some pain.
Yes I talked to the assistant director about it. Since we didn't have a bike number he said he couldn't do anything about it.

z064life

Jan 16, 2012
mouimet;290571 wrote: That isn't what I said. Re-read the comment. There was a tremendous disparity in the speeds on the track that day - would you argue that? There are two sides of the story and we have not heard any of them yet! All we have heard is that some unknown bike made contact with his he has some green paint on his helmet. How does that happen? Was there paint on his bike? Did anyone see a guy hit him? What is the other guy's story?
Are you suggesting no contact was made? He was hit...I'd love for the other guys "story".

mcskeeto

Aug 15, 2008
HondaGalToo;290590 wrote: I don't think anyone meant that nesba allows it. Far from it, it's discussed at the riders' meeting that folks should be courteous in all groups. I just think it happens more there. Doesn't mean it's "allowed", it just is what it is, unfortunately.
I find saying that it "just is what it is" is a little bit of a defeatist attitude. If there are dangerous passes being made, it should come to the attention of NESBA and something should be done about it. I haven't ridden NJMP, but have been to track days with different organizations where close passing and safety was an issue. Dangerous riders have no business being at a track day and should be pointed out to the NESBA CR's.

Myers

Control Rider
Aug 2, 2009
Folks, - a lot of good points here...so I wanted to chime in as well. Yes Sunday was a pretty hectic day. Yes - I had fun. Yes - I burnt almost 10 gallons of fuel and was on the track A LOT with a shirt on.... much was every other CR and even the Director. Wether you know it or not.. he burnt just as much fuel out there without a shirt on in EVERY group monitoring the groups.. and wether you know it or not I and others jumped into I AND B group without a shirt to monitor the traffic etc. Every CR by about 1500 was SPENNNT... but kept going. We sat riders for rule infractions and i personally spoke to many riders about rule infractions. I chimed in during the I group meeting to TRY to get through to some. One point I will make to those that have been around for awhile. As I walked away from some of the "tough" conversations with folks that day.. I thought about hearing the same ventings of the CRs over years past who have been and are my friends.. I thought about how frustrated they would get.. . and it brought a smile to my face... At last .. I am paying it forward.... because.. . I am now having to receive the negative feedback and ignorance by the few...and ... I received multiple hand shakes, multiple smiles and even one funny accent that said "when you tow me you tow me like a rocketship"... with the biggest smile I have seen in a long time. My point is this.. there may from time to time be a "bad day"... that is the chance we all take... To Todd's point.. . rate of closure SHOULD be a skill that any advanced rider understands. To my point.. 12 CRs..and 1 director running more laps then any other bike out there... and no impacts... "rate of closure at no time in ANY group gives ANY of us the excuse to rub paint"... period.
Judy - as one mentioned prior - i am saddened to read your review and can sense the frustration and respect it. Just know.. that From the time I was in B group through I and A - I rode along side of you.. and have enjoyed it. I truly hope you will re-think your decision. I will commit to any A session with you no matter what group I am riding.. just let me know.. Ill ride with you any time! Keep the faith.. I am sure .. you have seen some changes this year... as we make changes.. and look forward to next year we all smile... as we are seeing some amazing things!promise!!!

Len

PJZOCC624

Jul 14, 2008
z064life;290536 wrote:
Have the balls to at least come by and appologize and make sure the rider you just took out is ok.

I'm not sure which pisses me off more, the fact he got hit, or the fact the guy never came by. There is no way he didn't know he made contact.
That's the part of these incidents that make me fucking nuts. If someone in my group crashed to the point of big injuries (even NO injuries), whether or not I'm involved I go over and find out if they're ok. To be THAT close to the incident and not have the stones to make an inquiry or two is a big fat pile of shit.

Happened to me at Beave. Someone took me out in T9 - inside pass, illegal in "I" group - and I've not heard ONE WORD from the dude. Not one.

Maybe NJMP gets a bad rap, but I don't think so. I've seen more stupid shit at that track (not just NESBA). But I tell ya, it's people that ride with zero consideration for others that spoil it for everyone. It's attitude like that that spoil the experience for others, and one of the reasons I'm quitting.

Z06... sorry about your buddy. Best wishes to him for a full recovery. I've been there, exactly where he is. It sucks.

mouimet

Mar 9, 2009
z064life;290616 wrote: Are you suggesting no contact was made? He was hit...I'd love for the other guys "story".
I haven't heard any guy's story! I just want to know how he has paint on his helmet from the other guy's bike. How does that even happen?

Evil Cupcake

Control Rider
Sep 6, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Vy0D4ROpE&feature=youtu.be

Here is video of that session ..short session to the red flag...unfortunately I did not get any footage of the incident. My second time at NJMP.

I surely hope your friend heals up. I had a decent time and despite some passes that forced me to adjust my line in other sessions (and wondered why the rider couldn't have waited till the straight...race day=gotcha/ cool.....track day= why?) Regardless, I will return....maybe not on a weekend, but on a weekday.

z064life

Jan 16, 2012
mouimet;290628 wrote: I haven't heard any guy's story! I just want to know how he has paint on his helmet from the other guy's bike. How does that even happen?
A group...hang off the bike..someone smashes you from the inside..your helmet is the 1st thing that gets hit. I'm not sure what's hard to understand how your helmet can get hit.

mouimet

Mar 9, 2009
z064life;290658 wrote: A group...hang off the bike..someone smashes you from the inside..your helmet is the 1st thing that gets hit. I'm not sure what's hard to understand how your helmet can get hit.
I am not saying what you think happened did not. Just saying that there are two sides to every story. You say that your buddy was taking it easy on a old clapped out bike and some one blitzed in and hit him. There are paint scuffs on his helmet but not his bike? How is that? I saw a guy on the ground 50 yards off the side of the track near a barrier I never even knew existed. There were probably 7 riders in that turn with your friend and nobody that I heard in the pits or in this thread has said anything about a collision. Sounds more like a guy that got spooked and ran off the track.

z064life

Jan 16, 2012
mouimet;290663 wrote: I am not saying what you think happened did not. Just saying that there are two sides to every story. You say that your buddy was taking it easy on a old clapped out bike and some one blitzed in and hit him. There are paint scuffs on his helmet but not his bike? How is that? I saw a guy on the ground 50 yards off the side of the track near a barrier I never even knew existed. There were probably 7 riders in that turn with your friend and nobody that I heard in the pits or in this thread has said anything about a collision. Sounds more like a guy that got spooked and ran off the track.
I said underpowered, I didnt say clapped out. The fact he can hang in A group on subpar equipment speaks a lot. His bike is totaled...his season is over, and I'm not sure if he will be back.

So you were one of the 7 riders I take it that was there?

Dave561

Control Rider
Apr 25, 2014
Yes I was informed of the incident and tried to determine the bike, but unfortunately could not find a definite match. Without it, I can't confront a rider. This is a terrible incident regardless of how it happened. I hope that his recovery is quick and relatively painless.

If anyone wants to contact me directly about this incident, I will keep all information confidential and place you in contact with the rider if desired.

Agression and impatience is unacceptable. We're all out there to have fun but safety is an essential part of ALL trackdays. There were some issues that were dealt with at the track and I spent way too much time trying to sort out the aggressors. It is unfortunate, because it detracts from the value of the day and of course, increases the probabilty of accidents.

There are times I go out in the groups to monitor the status of the riders. At any point I can pass the whole field in I or B. At times I can easily make that last second pass and grab another rider, but I don't. When this happens I am discouraged by how many times I get swarmed by two or three riders. What happens when 4-5 riders try to enter a turn together? Chaos. Best to settle back a little and get the run down the next straight. Even a 600 can pass liter bikes if set up properly. Now I do have some experience and most likely more than any rider in B or I, but that experince has taught me PATIENCE.

I don't have to pass all 3 riders in a pack. I can grab one here and maybe two more in the next turn. I plan my passes as I approach riders. I survey the track in front of those riders as well. You don't make that pass on a rider in front of you only to notice the rider in front of him/her is going 20mph slower. It's not their fault they are going slower, it is the passing rider's fault for not noticing. It is always up to the passing rider to make a good, clean and safe pass. Now at times there are aggressive moves and everyone is guilty at one point or another. I doubt any one of us have not made a pass where we thought, ahh shit, that was a little too close. It happens, but man up to it and apologize, either with a wave or a face to face. However, if this becomes a pattern and you find yourself in this situation often, then you are riding too aggressively. The riders who remain in this sport the longest are not the fastest riders or the most aggesive ones, its the riders that learn to temper their aggression and let experience and knowledge guide thier progression. It's the rider that ackowledges their strengths and weaknesses and builds the skills that turn weaknesses into strengths.

So in short, enjoy the day. Ride your ride and most importantly be cognizant that one aggressive pass can result in an accident and that accident could permanently change a person's life. Please never put yourself in that situation, cause there is no rewind button or apology great enough to relieve that guilt.