Trailer Questions

rchase

Very cool. They look amazing. Much better than the "brake dust black" finish on my BMW HP forged wheels. :)

rchase

So. Thank all of you who chimed in to help.

I eventually came to my senses and realized that buying a new vehicle was a bit wasteful. I'm going to patch the Rover until it absolutely won't go anymore as engines, transmissions and other parts are way cheaper than new car depreciation. It may be old and ugly but it's worked for quite some time.

I'll use that money on more important stuff like bike parts, tires and track time. I also splurged and added a completely invisible backup camera system on the Rover that lets me see behind it and see the hitch when I'm trying to connect the trailer which will make life SOOOO much easier.

rchase

With no nav screen on a rare early Autobiography edition Rover my options were pretty limited. I looked at a few of the rear view mirror replacement backup cameras but they all had that cheezy JC Whitney tacked on feel to them. I also did not want to hack up the interior or wiring. I went with this unit.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produ...ess-hitch-camera-backup-system-rvs-83112.html

It's an absolutely tiny screen but it's mounted on a metal goose neck that plugs into the lighter socket. The camera itself is magnetic mount and wireless and runs on batteries. It's not something you leave installed "all the time" but it's flexibility is what appealed to me. When not in use it's easy to stow away so you don't have to look at it and it takes just a second to move the camera from the back of the hatch (for hooking up and seeing the hitch ball) or to the back of the trailer itself for reversing.

It's not a perfect solution but it works quite well. It sure as heck beats backing up a big SUV at night with dark tinted windows with very little real visibility. It also makes it so I can hook up by myself without the back and forth and guesswork.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Thanks for the link. I love the fact that it's only in use when you want it to be. I've got some Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so I will definitely look into this.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I have a similar one I use all the time. It's a https://www.swifthitch.com and is also available via Amazon. It comes with magnetic mount, charger, etc. The view screen is also battery powered, and it's come in handy for other things.