What's stopping you from your first track day?

Pseudolus

I've got this buddy. He was the first to get a legitimate, licensed sport bike when we were in high school. I used to ride his bike with no license, in shorts, in straight lines only. Fast forward 20 years and I actually know how to ride, but I can't get the true motorcycle veteran of my friends to a track day! He's afraid to bin his RC 51 because he won't be able to find replacement parts.

Which makes me wonder.... How many people are lurking on here like I did for a year and a half before joining.... And what's stopping you from your first track day?

You never know.... Maybe we can help you with the obstacle. And I'll have a nice cold beer for any new person who chimes in. Of course you'll have to come to the track to collect.....;)

DUG

I've been to many days but I'm only 3 years into this... and I clearly remember lurking for a solid 10-12 months primarily because...

1. I thought it was a lot more complicated than it was..

2. I thought it was going be a lot faster than it was.... (starting out anyway)

3. I thought you needed a full race prepped bike...

4. I thought "Im seriously going to F*#$ something up and get everyone pissed.."

But.... got a friend off the board to shadow during my first day... Turned out I already had everything I needed. Bike was fine, gear was good.. Format couldn't be easier... Just had to get to the track.... I was already ready and didn't know it...!!! I surely wasn't the best or the worst. So>>>>>>

YOU JUST HAVE TO PHYSICALLY DRAG HIM TO THE TRACK..!!! And if he's worried about bending up his FIDDY-ONE, tell him to slow down.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Ask him to just come along one time and see what's going on, how the day is run by the staff, have him maybe join you in going to the Novice instructional class time if there is any. It will help re-enforce fundamentals for you as well.

Maybe that will sway him to the light.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Darrin has a good idea. Sometimes coming to watch a day and talk to folks, attend the riders/Novice meeting, etc. can really help.
See if he'll visit the forum. Seems I recall you guys starting out on the forum, asking good questions, getting advice that helped you get to a trackday...maybe that would be one thing that could also work for your friend. It helps to have someone to go with for the first time, that's where you come in!

Pseudolus

I guess I could try your suggestions.... I've been responding to every text from him by writing #pssy so I guess I could switch it up a bit. :D

I'm upping my offer to a 6 pack for any new rider to let us know your thought process! :cool:

Doesn't matter how crazy the question. I saw there were 16 "guests" on the forum earlier. How can we welcome you to the fam?

D-Zum

Another point for your friend to consider is this: There's NO other place where he can truly explore his abilities and the abilities of his beloved RC-51. No other place will he truly have his chance to become one with his machine in a place where it's more safe and completely legal.

He can come observe the environment and the structure of the event, then consider coming out himself and giving it a day to try the track and see how he likes it.
You KNOW he'll love it. I've never met a newbie that didn't..and I've gotten my share of folks to come to their first day and get hooked on this since 2002.

Once he's experienced it, then it's up to him to determine if he wants to invest further with a dedicated track bike to preserve his RC-51, or turn the 51 into a track bike and maybe buy himself something newer for the street, or give up the street completely.

I speak from personal experience...I usually have a "Street Bike" in the garage...and it sits mostly. Slowly, but surely parts seem to show up from time to time in my garage and get added to the bike. Then, one day I come to the same conclusion...there's no point in having it if I'm not gonna ride it. So, the bodywork gets delivered, painted, numbers get applied, and it ends up on the track.

Got a 2009 R6 in my garage now...700 miles on it. I ride it a little bit annually for some reason..not sure...gotta buy some bodywork for it soon for a "B" bike.

But, then I won't have a "Street Bike"....Hmmmmmm.....;)

HavocCat

Chris
I was also a lurker at one point. Mostly because I was just unsure of my ability, I know the track day is to learn but I was afraid of holding everyone up or piling it up. I had a GSXR 750 back then (which I miss dearly)

By the time I finally decided that I wanted to do a track day for sure, I lurked for another year just reading the posts, reading every possible instructional writeup I could find, and I decided I would make my birthday my first day.

It was a PIRC day last year, Was not right on my birthday but in the same weekend. 5-24-14. Well long story short I backed out before I even signed up, and that made me angry. That moment I signed up for August 30th and did not let myself miss that date. I had to beg borrow and steal for my equipment that I used, did not even have a trailer :D

I think it's more of a mental decision than anything. However, I do agree that coming and watching, talking to instructors, would be a good way to convince him. Maybe even get him in the 2 session introduction if that's still a thing?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I think it's more of a mental decision than anything. However, I do agree that coming and watching, talking to instructors, would be a good way to convince him. Maybe even get him in the 2 session introduction if that's still a thing?

That program is still going! I encourage all street riders to check it out...how can you pass up literally free track time?!

noupf

seems like the answer is to have him buy a good cheap sportbike ( track prepped perhaps ) and then the excuses will be null and void

D-Zum

seems like the answer is to have him buy a good cheap sportbike ( track prepped perhaps ) and then the excuses will be null and void

It's a chicken/egg argument. I'd guess this is the dilemma for a lot of new riders when it comes to the track.

You and I and everyone else KNOWS they're gonna LOVE the track..but from the outside looking in, it may seem like a ridiculous investment to spend a couple thousand dollars on a dedicated track bike when you don't know what you're getting into initially.

Then, once you've been on the track you realize it's the best money you'll never get back..and you just cannot wait to spend more money to get to the track.

Years ago, Mr. Tim Wilson, myself, and a couple other friends were coming back from a trip and we got into kind of a funny discussion about our lives, our careers, why we work overtime, etc.....it was ALL centered around us working to earn more opportunities to do track days.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I used my street bikes on the track for many, many years before committing to a track-only bike. Just sayin'. Managed not to crash any of them. Did trackdays for ~12 years before the first crash. There's a statistic to throw at your friend. :)
...and one of those bikes was a beautiful mid-90s Ducati 900

motorkas

Funny, just got the new issue of Motorcyclist and this was on the last page - first I was like "isn't that RA?". . .then I was like. . . "isn't that a N2 sticker?". . .then I was like "hmmm, is there going to be a shout out?". . .then I was like "you guys should track him down and give him a free track day for the free press":D

mpusch

Micah
I really only delayed my decision by one riding season. Partially due to circumstances and getting my financial feet underneath me, and partially
due to just the "fear" of the unknown. My biggest worry was that I'd spend all the money getting down there, and then have something wrong
with my bike and fail tech. Even after reading the manual several times and any posts I could find on passing tech, I was still pretty nervous.

Not sure what the workaround is for people who have the same worry as I did other than knowing that tech is there to protect you, and if possible,
they'll do their best to get you riding.

prplppleatr239

The biggest barriers to entry for me were transport for my bike and gear. I had a helmet but that was it. Basically the only thing you need for your bike to pass tech is a well cared for bike and a roll of blue tape, so that's not much of an issue.

However, the leathers, gloves, and boots are something that not everybody that rides on the street has. Not everybody is willing to rent a suit either.

Is it possible to have one of our vendors put together a gear package that is as cheap as possible? So you can get a bundle with a suit, gloves, and boots for a few hundred bucks. Nothing fancy, but not crap either. Figure out a way to make it a bit more accessible at first.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
One new addition to the Riders Manual this year is to allow textile suits, such as Aerostich, in the Novice group. That should particularly help new street riders attend. Boots and gloves, well, I'm a firm believer street riders should have them.

Good idea about someone offering a beginner gear package. Could be a good venture for a vendor, perhaps

If gear is keeping someone from coming out, they should just ask if anyone is bringing extra. Most of us bring extra gear and everyone in the org is always willing to help by lending gear, helping prep the bike, or just answering a bunch of questions. Love this group.

Pseudolus

Another point for your friend to consider is this: There's NO other place where he can truly explore his abilities and the abilities of his beloved RC-51. No other place will he truly have his chance to become one with his machine in a place where it's more safe and completely legal.

He can come observe the environment and the structure of the event, then consider coming out himself and giving it a day to try the track and see how he likes it.
You KNOW he'll love it. I've never met a newbie that didn't..and I've gotten my share of folks to come to their first day and get hooked on this since 2002.

Amen!!!! I've tried telling him if he really wants to unleash his beast, the track is where it's at! But then he starts focusing on how his bike is not up to date technologically. And then we go in circles........I'm going to invite him for a day to just watch, with the promise of beer afterwards. I think that will do it.

My biggest worry was that I'd spend all the money getting down there, and then have something wrong
with my bike and fail tech. Even after reading the manual several times and any posts I could find on passing tech, I was still pretty nervous.

LOL! Do I remember that!!!! I posted a thread on here with pictures and thankfully, Dzum and HondaGal and other Nesbians answered every insane question I came up with! To go from riding a sport cruiser to picking up a Beamer AND then strapping that sucker to a u-haul, with no skills whatsoever with tools or a motorcycle was HILARIOUS! I think it took 5 hours to get the bike and trailer ready.

But then I'm on the saw mill pkwy in New York heading to NJMP with the trailer, my wife wondering what the hell I'm getting into, and a guy pulls alongside of us on a street legal dirtbike and starts losing his shit right next to us. This guy is so excited, he's screaming "hell yeah" and almost falling off the bike. He knew about the world I was heading towards and man it felt great to see how excited he was for me!

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Amen!!!! I've tried telling him if he really wants to unleash his beast, the track is where it's at! But then he starts focusing on how his bike is not up to date technologically.

Show him your brothers video of my 11yo bike at Summit or njmp. This way he can see doesn't matter what you ride, just that you ride. (Sorry Kas, couldn't resist)

D-Zum

Machine age/technology has absolutely nothing to do with anything, and I know you know that.

Hopefully you've pointed your friend to this thread. Hopefully your Buddy comes out and he decides to give riding with us a try.

I'd love to meet him and welcome him to the family.

I'll give a hearty "Hooo Rah!" at the Rider's Meeting when he raises his hand that this day is his first Track Day that would make a platoon of Marines proud.

If he needs gear, I've got an extra size 48 suit, 43 boots, XL gloves, and back protector I'll donate to him to use for the day.

He needs his bike and a helmet. That's it.

Amy makes a bitchin' cup of coffee in the morning. (Lenny stop buy the RV in the morning for a cup before Tech.)

What's his favorite beer? I'll have it in the cooler.

And after the Day's over, once he tries Emerson and Shiloh's Jalepeno cream cheese spicy chicken treats, that will seal the deal. Those things are HEAVENLY!
He'll be hooked after he eats about 2 of those.