What's stopping you from your first track day?

DUG

Can not say enough good things about Q3s. They are as confident as a race tire up to about or 8 or 9/10s pace, but after about 3 really hot laps they get greasy and start sliding.. However, there really isn't a reason to push that hard on a track day. Also, they are available everywhere and the price is right!

klr7626

For me the biggest issue is gear. I just signed up for the intro class for road Atlanta. I have decent Street gear (bell rs1, over the ankle Street riding boots/shoes (they look like timberlands), icon armored jacket, and over pants.

But for the track I need full gauntlet gloves, textile or leather suit, racing boots, etc. It's a huge upfront expense. I'm scrambling now wondering if I can get all this in time for April 4th!!!

I don't think the intro riders need all the full racing gear, but I heard that you'll be hooked and want to continue that day. With that being said, I'll need the gear the rest of the novice class members will have.

mpusch

Micah
For me the biggest issue is gear. I just signed up for the intro class for road Atlanta. I have decent Street gear (bell rs1, over the ankle Street riding boots/shoes (they look like timberlands), icon armored jacket, and over pants.

But for the track I need full gauntlet gloves, textile or leather suit, racing boots, etc. It's a huge upfront expense. I'm scrambling now wondering if I can get all this in time for April 4th!!!

I don't think the intro riders need all the full racing gear, but I heard that you'll be hooked and want to continue that day. With that being said, I'll need the gear the rest of the novice class members will have.

I know it might be too late to be helpful in your situation right now, but the way I did it was gradually accumulate gear over the course of winter. I didn't have a single piece of street gear that was acceptable for the track, even though I wore full gear. It kind of sucked having to buy all new gear, but I had time over winter to be patient and find good deals rather than having to scramble together to buy something. Buy your helmet, buy boots a month later, a suit a month or two later...etc. Doesn't hurt as much as just dropping $500 to get the gear you need.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yes, they do. This isn't like any other riding experience you've ever had. It's faster, more risk, but more fun than you can imagine. You're almost completely free of any constraints or rules.

I offer my own experience at RA a couple years ago as an example:

I walked away with a concussion, a sore shoulder, and a small/hairline fracture in my hand. I had a little scab on my shoulder from my suit rubbing my skin as I slid/tumbled..but that was the only abrasion.

It does cost a few bucks to get geared up, but hopefully this is one of the things you learn by coming to the track. Gear is important. Gear can save your life no matter where you ride. After 18 years of being on the track, I won't hardly ride unless I'm in full gear. It's too frightening.

So think of this as taking the opportunity to catch up where you REALLY should be with regards to safety equipment to protect your body. You can buy a new bike, you cannot buy a new you.

Yes, they do. This isn't like any other riding experience you've ever had. It's faster, more risk, but more fun than you can imagine. You're almost completely free of any constraints or rules.

I walked away with a concussion, a sore shoulder, and a small/hairline fracture in my hand. I had a little scab on my shoulder from my suit rubbing my skin as I slid/tumbled..but that was the only abrasion.

It does cost a few bucks to get geared up, but hopefully this is one of the things you learn by coming to the track. Gear is important. Gear can save your life no matter where you ride. After 18 years of being on the track, I won't hardly ride unless I'm in full gear. It's too frightening.

So think of this as taking the opportunity to catch up where you REALLY should be with regards to safety equipment to protect your body. You can buy a new bike, you cannot buy a new you.

I was there and riding that session but didn't see the actual crash. Once I came through I thought the worst because of that part of the track being so fast. We got your stuff loaded up and kept getting reports of how you were. Gear definitely saved you that day. To klr7626 - I'd add inspecting everything after every session, calipers, air pressure, grips, wheels, axles, clean your visor, inspect your gloves, get hydrated - just to give you a little less worry and a lot more focus when running that (or any) track. It's always fun to run an entire session and come in good but it's never fun if after the 2nd lap you start wondering if you checked tire pressure..... HJ

What size boots do you wear? What size gloves? Looks like your helmet will be good. What size leathers do you wear? I've got some spares (not stinky either) that I might be able to let you use. My direct email is john@ovususa.com. Hit me up.

HJ

physicistkev

Control Rider

Holly f**k dude! I didn't realize that your crash was there? That's what happens when I go away for a while I guess.

Back on topic. There is a base amount of gear you need to start. There is no way around it. Leathers, helmet, boots and cloves. I have learned a few things over the years and I will share.

Leathers: Depending on your body type, this can be easy to find or hard. You can spend from $500 to $3000+. There are used leathers, which are very good as long as you check them out for damage and proper repairs. There are many places to get repairs and adjustments, so if a used set is close to fitting, then you can have it adjusted to fit. Be mindful that the adjustments can only do so much. I had a set of Teknics for years that I got from a local shop on a deep discount. I recently went with a set of Syed leathers for around $1100. These are full custom leathers. They are heavier than the more expensive custom suits, but I will deal with the extra weight to save a ton of money. There are many options out there and I suggest you look at and ask questions about people leathers at the track. Everyone will be happy to show you and talk about their leathers.

Helmet: Lots of opinions about this, so here is mine. I used Shoei for the first 7-8 years of my riding career. I switched to Arai for about 11 years. Now I run a Bell. I run a Bell because the helmet has the same safety rating as $500+ Shoei and Arai helmets, but only costs $200. It is a bit heavier than my preferred Arai, but when you need to replace a helmet every 5 years (maximum) or if you fall off, which happens occasionally, it gets expensive. I do not buy the argument that a more expensive helmet is "better". If the safety ratings are the same, then the helmet is going to perform very similar in similar situations. It's far more important to use a helmet THAT FITS PROPERLY.

Gloves: Get gauntlet gloves. Spend between $100 and $200. Proper fit is the most important thing.

Boots: I have used Sidi boots for years. Spent about $250 on a set that fit and have performed in the best and worst scenarios. Get a set that you can walk around in or make sure you take them off after each session. You do not need to go out and by $1000 boots. Something similar to Sidi Fusion or Cobra boots is more than enough. Good fit, ventilation and ankle protection.

I would expect a person to spend between $1300 to $1800 on a good setup for track riding. $2000 max for a really good setup which would also include a back protector. Example setup

Sidi Cobar Air boots - $260
Syed ready-made suit - $875
Bell Vortex helmet - $190
Alpine* SP-1 gloves - $150
Alpine* Bionic back protector - $150

Really nice gear. Should protect you in any realistic situation. $1625

One more thing to think about when you look at the cost of gear. You are spending, on average, $300 to $400 a day to ride at the track. This would include tires, fuel (on track and to/from the track), food, the track fee, membership fee and lodging costs.

D-Zum

I was there and riding that session but didn't see the actual crash. Once I came through I thought the worst because of that part of the track being so fast. We got your stuff loaded up and kept getting reports of how you were. Gear definitely saved you that day. To klr7626 - I'd add inspecting everything after every session, calipers, air pressure, grips, wheels, axles, clean your visor, inspect your gloves, get hydrated - just to give you a little less worry and a lot more focus when running that (or any) track. It's always fun to run an entire session and come in good but it's never fun if after the 2nd lap you start wondering if you checked tire pressure..... HJ

And IF I haven't already done so, let me say thanks to you and everyone that packed our stuff up that day. It was pretty awesome to get back from the hospital to have everything packed and ready to go.

HavocCat

Chris
That's another thing I learned very fast. The community that does this "hobby" if you will, are probably the best people you will ever meet.

Everyone is there because, we all at one point, wanted to get more out of our riding.

Another thing to note: My first day at the track was my last day on the street. That should be a statement to how much fun this is!

Honestly for anyone thinking about it- Stop thinking, pick a date you can make, and sign up. Spend the money, then KEEP THE DATE!

It's far harder to let yourself back out once you are signed up than to actually make yourself sign up in the first place. Everyone is nervous the first time!

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Another thing to note: My first day at the track was my last day on the street. That should be a statement to how much fun this is!

No more true statement than this! I still ride on the street - just enjoy it too much and I happen to live in an area where there are some great riding areas. Plus, I have both a significant other to ride two up with and some other friends who I enjoy some leisurely riding with. However, I find that I now ride even more conservatively than before on the street - and quite frankly, feel way more confident.

The guys here at N2 are IMHO the best. The track sessions are run with just about a perfect balance of safety focus and fun. Not too loose to allow for real danger, but not too strict to make it overly rigid. The only down side about this is that it easily becomes a friggin addiction.

Pseudolus

I heard that you'll be hooked and want to continue that day.

You are definitely a legitimate winner of the 6 pack! Now we have to end up at the same track or if I see you attending an event my brother's going to, I'll send it with him.

Hit up Generous John above to take him up on his offer to at least get you out there in some borrowed gear if possible.

Regarding the street, I bought my baby a few years back to look AWESOME on the street. :cool: Then I met N2 a few years ago.... 2 days ago, I registered my vehicles in Pennyslvania, but moved the motorcycle to unregistered. I get on it maybe 10-12 times a year on the track, and I don't miss the ability to ride on the street at all (maybe once a year but then I do it and it is so boring....).

Welcome to the addiction!

klr7626

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. But I do appreciate everyone's help. Especially Johns. I will see everyone on April 4th.

D-Zum

I don't see how you hijacked this thread. We were still discussing what new riders might perceive as barriers to joining us in this sport we love.

I say you rather enhanced the thread with your perspective.

EpyoN

I've probably lurked longer than anyone else on this forum before doing their first track day. I will be doing my first day at Summit this May. For me, the biggest barrier was cost. Being a college student, I couldn't afford more than one bike. I didn't want to risk trashing my only motorcycle with no way of paying for repairs or a replacement. I also couldn't afford to buy full leathers, boots, or gauntlet gloves. That brings the total cost to around $1000 and that's not even including the cost of the track day itself, which is usually at least $150.

Also, many people do not own trucks or trailers. If you don't know anyone that does, you've got to add in the costs of renting all that stuff.

D-Zum

I'll be there in May too (Summit Main). Look for an R6 with a Baltimore Ravens paint scheme and say Hi.

You can do a track day on a LOT less than you think. People here are happy to combine resources and ride share.

Some of us do have larger setups. But our accommodations didn't start that way. We've grown our transport and accommodations packages carefully as our budgets allow and our love for this sport grows.

Nobody goes out and dumps $100k before their first day. Many start with Harbor Freight trailers being towed by their Honda Civic.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Darrin makes a good point. The longer you're in the sport, you slowly accumulate more stuff. I started out with my taped up Ducati 900 and a scary 3-rail trailer that was really only meant to haul dirt bikes. My first day, however, was with a street bike, borrowed levers, and a ride with someone with a trailer, as I didn't have one.
I'll be at Summit in May, too, come say hello.
I'll be drinking coffee with Darrin, LOL.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Beer works better for me. After 5 pm of course! You're on! I'm probably hanging out for the weekend to watch the WERA races.

mpusch

Micah
I'll be there in May too (Summit Main). Look for an R6 with a Baltimore Ravens paint scheme and say Hi.

You can do a track day on a LOT less than you think. People here are happy to combine resources and ride share.

Some of us do have larger setups. But our accommodations didn't start that way. We've grown our transport and accommodations packages carefully as our budgets allow and our love for this sport grows.

Nobody goes out and dumps $100k before their first day. Many start with Harbor Freight trailers being towed by their Honda Civic.

This. Though I have to say...the first track day my friend and I arrived at (Beaverun) we pulled up with our old pickup truck and a Uhaul with our bikes. Our jaws about hit the floor when we saw some of the setups people have! But you don't need a big RV to have a blast at the track!