02 GSXR front brake pads clicking

Good morning everyone..like the title says..i have an 02 gsxr 750..this just started..if I roll the wheel there is a clicking noise that I believe is the pads either moving sideways and tapping the rotor and piston or up and down maybe inside the caliper or topping out against the retaining pin. It's very slight but light taps add up.. Is this normal ?
My 600 same year does it too...
The retainers that mount on top of the calipers are on the 750 and the 600 has them removed. Both bikes now make the noise... It's brakes and front wheel so concern is a bit high.

Dom17

Intermediate Intermediate
Any chance your rotors are warped/have brake pad accumulated on them? Also are the buttons on the semi floating rotors loose? If you don't have the retaining clip/backing in the pads are going to move a little (I'm not talking about the main fastener) if everything was super tight they would bind up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bmart

Control Rider
My '07 750 did it...until I mounted the R6 caliper mod. Night and day...and nearly free from eBay. The sound is likely just the pads moving on the locator pin that goes through them. It may be an indicator that the pads aren't backing of completely (doses the wheel turn freely with the calipers on there...and without the calipers on there?) and that you need to clean the caliper piston o-rings (SimpleGreen and a toth brush. They should move freely with one finger pushing the piston.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Does the sound go away at the lightest touch of the brakes? Enough to put a tiny amount of pressure on the pad but generate zero actual brake pressure.

I recently rebuilt the brake components front and rear.. I think the fronts were dragging slightly before...now that they are cleaned up and refreshed I guess the pistons are returning fully and revealing this condition. Yes, the clicking stops with the lightest pressure. And the wheel rolls nice and smooth. I realize it's a very very light clicking sound, but 1 million little clicks from now maybe a burr could form and cause a pad to hang up ? I doubt it too. I always flirt with worst case scenario. Thank you everyone for your input. Have a great day.

bmart

Control Rider
To put your mind at ease you could take a good look at the calipers or pull them and take a closer look. I suspect that it is just the pads moving on the pins.