05 R6 Clip-ons -Vortex

yohoho

Looking at the Vortex clip-ons and had a question about the different options. What is the advantage of the 0 degree vs. 7 degree?

Other brands I should look at? (woodcraft) ?

Thanks for the help!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I'm pretty sure the Woodcrafts (and stock bars) are all about 7 degrees of downward angle. Vortex also makes 10 degrees. I'm not absolutely positive about that, though. What downward angle you want is all personal preference. With all clip ons, you can adjust the length and width.

Both Vortex and Woodcraft are good products. I personally like the 2 piece design of the Woodcraft brackets, as you don't have to remove the top triple to install them.

First time installing clip ons? Keep in mind you'll need a bracket to attach your brake reservoir. The stock bars have a place for attachment, none of the clip ons do. Woodcraft sells a bracket that may or may not work on your bike. It did on my gixxer. On my 929, I fabbed something up using one of those shelf L brackets from the hardware store, and attached it to one of the bolts on the triple clamp. A guy on the WERA board sells "ladybird" mounts which are really nice, and what I have on both bikes now.

27Ducati

On your bike (05 R6) the brake fluid reservoir attaches to the top triple clamp so adding aftermarket clipons shouldn't be an issue.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
27Ducati;239057 wrote: On your bike (05 R6) the brake fluid reservoir attaches to the top triple clamp so adding aftermarket clipons shouldn't be an issue.
Well, that'll make life easier for yohoho! Cool.

yohoho

27Ducati;239057 wrote: On your bike (05 R6) the brake fluid reservoir attaches to the top triple clamp so adding aftermarket clipons shouldn't be an issue.
Just got home and looked at the bike, 27Ducati's dead on, no need for the extra bracket. Looks like factory handle bars are around a 7 to 10 degree offset, coming straight out of the forks. So both Vortex and Woodcraft should be fairly close geometry.

Current handle bars are clamped above the triple clamp on fork tubes, Should the clipons go here or should I slide the triple up and secure the clipons below the triple clamp? How will moving the triple clamp affect the geometry of the bike, Will this increase the rake angle?

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but want to make sure I get it right...

yohoho

May have just answer my own question, looking at Tomwilliford's 05 r6 he just sold, the clip-ons are below the triple clamp. That being the case, think I am sold on the woodcraft 2 piece clamp rather than the vortex.

Amazing what you can learn if you just take the time to look around.... :)

windblown

Vortex clip-ons under the triple is what I did on my '05 R6 after snapping one of the orginal ones. The '05 is a bit of a strange bird when it comes to aftermarket clip-ons IMHO. Putting on aftermarket clip-ons lowers things down quite a bit. I never got fully comfortable with the placement and suspect something between stock and the highest position I could get with the aftermarket clip-ons would have felt better. YMMV.

yohoho

OK thanks, may try the basic woodcraft clip-ons and if those feel too low, can make someone a good deal on the lower risers and buy the taller ones. Looks like they go all the way to 3", that should be higher than stock if necessary.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I think Woodcraft sells risers for their clip-ons, too. Maybe another option? I'm not familiar with the R6, though, just throwing around ideas.

27Ducati

yohoho;239441 wrote: OK thanks, may try the basic woodcraft clip-ons and if those feel too low, can make someone a good deal on the lower risers and buy the taller ones. Looks like they go all the way to 3", that should be higher than stock if necessary.
for track use I think you'll like them being mounted under the triple. Can anyone offer him some advice on the fork height? My only reference is on the newer bikes where we run them flush with the top clamp or with one line showing above.

yohoho

27Ducati;239559 wrote: for track use I think you'll like them being mounted under the triple. Can anyone offer him some advice on the fork height? My only reference is on the newer bikes where we run them flush with the top clamp or with one line showing above.
Just took this pic of (what's left of) the factory setup, not sure if its my inexperience but the bike already feels like it wants to push through and stand up in the turns. Some recommendations on fork height would be great!

Gorecki

For more of a factory geometry you'll want to go close to the top of the tube with the stock clip-ons. If you're going woodcraft, use that same point of reference but put the clip-ons below the triple. It will result in a more agressive rider position but also more in line for a racing profile than the factory setup.

JohnS

yohoho;239595 wrote: Just took this pic of (what's left of) the factory setup, not sure if its my inexperience but the bike already feels like it wants to push through and stand up in the turns. Some recommendations on fork height would be great!

That looks pretty much stock or slightly raised already, On an 03 it was 24 or 25 MM from the triple to the bottom of the cap for stock. To get the bike to turn in faster and feel more planted you would want to raise the fork tubes in the triple 5mm to 7 mm. I would not go much more than that as the bike can feel less stable on the straights.

Also aftermarket clipons are much wider the then stock one, if you try to put them on top of triple more than half of it will have nothing to clamp to.

yohoho

JohnS;239652 wrote: That looks pretty much stock or slightly raised already, On an 03 it was 24 or 25 MM from the triple to the bottom of the cap for stock. To get the bike to turn in faster and feel more planted you would want to raise the fork tubes in the triple 5mm to 7 mm. I would not go much more than that as the bike can feel less stable on the straights.

Also aftermarket clipons are much wider the then stock one, if you try to put them on top of triple more than half of it will have nothing to clamp to.
JohnS, thanks for the good info, since my triple is notched to allow for the stock handle bars, do I measure from the top of the highest point of the triple or the top of the lower notched area? right now those two measurements are 20mm and 30mm respectively.

JohnS

yohoho;239686 wrote: JohnS, thanks for the good info, since my triple is notched to allow for the stock handle bars, do I measure from the top of the highest point of the triple or the top of the lower notched area? right now those two measurements are 20mm and 30mm respectively.
That would be measured from the lower notched area, Since you are at 30 already it seems someone has already raised the forks 5MM. I would max go 2 or 3 more install the clip ons and get the suspension baseline set up, you might find out from the suspension guy you are too light or heavy for the stock spings. If so you might just be trying to get it good enough without putting meney into the suspension.

I was too heavy for my stock suspension so that cost me new springs in the front, race tech rebound and compression gold valves and a new rear shock. The bike handled much better after that!

yohoho

JohnS;239721 wrote: That would be measured from the lower notched area, Since you are at 30 already it seems someone has already raised the forks 5MM. I would max go 2 or 3 more install the clip ons and get the suspension baseline set up, you might find out from the suspension guy you are too light or heavy for the stock spings. If so you might just be trying to get it good enough without putting meney into the suspension.

I was too heavy for my stock suspension so that cost me new springs in the front, race tech rebound and compression gold valves and a new rear shock. The bike handled much better after that!
Thanks, I am probably too heavy for the stock setup also, will add to the top of my upgrade wish list.