06 GSXR 750 radiator repair

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
I have a few options for my bike's radiator. This is a track only bike so I will be running what the guys in A run in their cooling systems, NO antifreeze. Option #1 Repair what is on the bike. The radiator that is on it now has been pressure tested and found to have a pin hole in the aluminum(on the edge where it hit the ground not the cooling fins) the repair is about $75. Option #2 I am buying a good radiator but a couple of plastic mounting tabs are broken for $25. I could probably fix them with JB Weld. Option #3 buy a new radiator. $$$

I'm trying to get by on the cheap but I don't want to risk my safety or anyone else's safety to save a buck. If I had the money I would definitely go new. Will these options pass tech and the general consensus of other serious riders?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
If you go the repair route, make sure the radiator place can work on aluminum radiators. Not all can. Since you have a quote for the repair, I'm assuming they work on aluminum. If they can fix it and it pressure tests ok after the repair, I would feel confident that it's safe. I'm not familiar with the plastic mounting tabs...I have an '07 gix and I thought the mounting tabs were metal, but it's been awhile since I've had it off. I had good luck finding a decent radiator on ebay, which I got pressure tested to make sure it was good to go, since it had a big dent not shown in the pics, think I got it for around $140, which was a good price at the time.With an abundance of gix parts on ebay, and competent repair shops, I wouldn't, and haven't, gone the brand new route.
That reminds me, my bashed up one is still in the garage, I should see if it can be fixed as a back-up. The fill nozzle is bent, but the shop I use says they can cut it off and put a new one on.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Find a better used radiator for anything less than $75. Then spend another $75 later on when you have it and fix the old one for a spare.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Mike,
If possible, buy all your spare parts used from ebay, forums, other members, etc I used a dented radiator on my 06 gixxer for years, no leaks and no issues.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Emerson Amaya aka (our beloved Bobblehead) may have one available...or know where to find one for you.