06 R6 cold Idle problem

Kevin42

Ok, here is the issue:

I have a 2006 R6 that has a power commander with quick shifter module. When it’s cold I try to start it and it will immediately stall. I have to hold the throttle open after it starts until the temperature indicator goes from the word “Low “to a number which is around 100 degrees. Then it will idle without stalling. Now, between start and 100 degrees you have to hold the throttle just right. If you don’t, it will stall. If it stalls 2 or 3 times, the battery won’t crank it over which is really annoying. It is probably a power commander setting but when I bought the bike it didn’t come with what ever cable or software is needed to configure it.

Any ideas?

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
From my understanding (which may be incorrect), PC's fool the ECU using a false coolant temp signal to get the desired fueling. Maybe it's a software issue that is overriding the choke/warmup idle circuit causing it to get too much or not enough fuel. If you can catch it with the throttle, I'd say its too much fuel.

Just my thoughts.

sobottka

spark plugs still good? i dont think (but am not sure) you can tune the fuel mix at idle with a power commander on that r6, seems like it starts tuning around 9000rpm

Control Rider
N2
They may have only tweaked the normal operating temp map and not the cold start map when the PC was tuned. It is also possible the cold map is just hosed in some way... try unplugging the PC first. If that works, either manually tweak the cold map, or load a new program from the net. I would almost guarantee this is a Power Commander problem and not anything motor related.

Steve

Maybe it's a problem with the battery? Is it not holding a charge to start it more than 2 or 3 times or not fully charged when you try? If it's the orignal batttery and this problem just started, I'd replace the battery and see what happens.

rac_wv

Kevin42

Did you happen to figure this one out? I'm having the same issue and have a Bazzaz.

Thanks

Kevin42

I wish I did. Still does it. Oh crap thanks for reminding me. ... It's cold season. I heard there is a physical cold idle adjustment someplace where human hands can't reach that fixes it but I didn't find it.

racerx69

Ive heard that sometimes the TPS, using the wire tap, will get corroded and cause a bad connection. Its better to solder the wires together if possible.

jeff15

Control Rider
Kevin,
Talk to Chris Baker about it, I remember us talking about this at beaver last year. I think he knows what is wrong with it and how to fix it.

blueninja1

it sounds like the air/fuel mixture of the idle setting has to be adjusted for colder temps. i deal with the same issue of my bike and on warmer days its noticeably easier to start. of course by feeding in some throttle to keep the revs up on the start, it helps to resolve the problem manually, but it is a little bit of a hassle.

slowpoke

blueninja1;179506 wrote: it sounds like the air/fuel mixture of the idle setting has to be adjusted for colder temps. i deal with the same issue of my bike and on warmer days its noticeably easier to start. of course by feeding in some throttle to keep the revs up on the start, it helps to resolve the problem manually, but it is a little bit of a hassle.
i thought we talked about you not giving mechanical advice?? remember, when we agreed to teach you how to change a tire?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
slowpoke;179527 wrote: i thought we talked about you not giving mechanical advice?? remember, when we agreed to teach you how to change a tire?
Changing a tire would be more complicated...you agreed to teach him how to just remove the wheel from his motorcycle... :D

JohnS

blueninja1;179506 wrote: it sounds like the air/fuel mixture of the idle setting has to be adjusted for colder temps. i deal with the same issue of my bike and on warmer days its noticeably easier to start. of course by feeding in some throttle to keep the revs up on the start, it helps to resolve the problem manually, but it is a little bit of a hassle.
:wow:

Matt

spark plugs

i'm sure your PC is okay, and to the 2nd poster, the PC does NOT fool the ECU's reading of coolant. ECT isn't routed through the PC.

the idea of looking into the TPS setting is also a good idea. the PC might not be reading the TPS properly.. you could also do a throttle position recalibrate in the PC software.

Steamer

If my memory serves me right there was a recall on the TPS units. But I don't remember if it was 05 or 06. Call your dealer and see if the unit was replaced or fall into the recall. I was on California at the time may have been just Ca. bike also.

Rydell

Here's an idea: To distinguish between a TPS and excessive fuel problem, as soon as you start the bike from cold, use the throttle to make the motor idle at normal idle RPM. If it's crapping out at idle rpm, then it's probably being fed too much fuel and not the TPS as you're "overiding" what the sensor sets it at. The bike should be able to idle at normal RPM as long as you're holding the throttle where it should be if it's a TPS problem. Make sense?