07 R6 Tank sliders

betarace

not needed as per the manual, it's your call as to the cost of a new tank, likelihood of crash etc... fresh tires and a steady/calm throttle hand would be a better investment IMHO

betarace

it all depends on your risk profile. I run beginner (have for 3 years now) on bone stock street bikes (minus mirrors, taped lights etc as per the manual). I dont know what your plans are e.g., intro day or full B day, but B class is about 1/3 pure street bikes - 1/3 street with track doo-dads, and 1/3 full on trackers.

The sport has inherent risks, but based on most of the crashes I have witnessed, a good portion of them can be described as "too much on cold tires" type incidents - too much throttle, too much brake, too much lean angle etc... basically being sloppy and/or asking too much of cold tires. While not completely avoidable, you can help minimize your risks of crashing by (in no particular order):

1. slowly building speed, while your tires warm (usually 1-2-3 laps, depending on the track)

2. building confidence while you build your skills - be smooth on the throttle, brakes, steering etc - anything abrupt is asking for trouble

3. working with control riders to develop your skills, while NESBA isnt a school, there are lots of people (especially CRs) that are here to help, give advice, work to provide a safe environment etc

4. reading and re-reading the manual to ensure your bike, gear and mindset are all aligned with the expectations and requirements of the club.

5. if unsure, ask questions - there are 2-3 months to go before the season kicks into high gear. Not sure where you live and what track days you plan on attending, but I am sure there is a fellow NESBA person nearby to help you get off on the right foot.

The point of the tank sliders on an R6 is to stop your bike from bursting in to flames and burning to the ground after a simple low side. Your call.:D

Katie785

^ exactly, apparently a few 06-07 did this at track days. Nesba does not require them, but it might be a good idea for $100.

Rick Johnson

I would suggest go do your first day and get a feel for it. If you like it (and you will) then get a racebody because the OEM plastics are expensive to repalce.Just have fun your first day and don't push too hard.It's a blast! You'll be back.;) Oh ya Tank Sliders.I saw a few videos where R6's caught fire due to tank scraping on pavement.Don't have any on mine but probally should.

Bossgobbler

Roadracing World did an article on the "flaming R6" issue - November 2007, vol 17, no 11, page 108. The article includes some dramatic photos. At the time of the article, the sliders were not for sale. I've since seen them on eBay - probably other places as well.

I low-sided my 07 R6 fitted with frame sliders. The tank didn't touch the ground until the slider caught the turf and flipped the bike. It landed, at least once, on the tank caving it in. Luckily, there was no loss of fuel or fire. Just the same, I think the concern is enough that I am going to run with tank sliders this year - part of my winter rebuild project. Cheap insurance. It's one thing to squish a tank, its another to lose a bike to a ball of flame. :eek:

LMsports

If I felt that spending 100.00 may keep my bike from bursting into flames if I fell down I wouldn't be thinking about it...

jtalerico

Great information everyone! Thanks so much!

For those of you that have a 06-07 R6 and have the Tank Sliders, what brand/type did you go with? I have seen two different types, 3M sticker on the tank, and one that protects the whole left and right side of the tank.

Also, I plan on just doing a B day

Katie785

I have the traxxion dynamics. They come with velcro to put them on, but we used silicone glue instead.. they arent coming off!

jtalerico

^ alright cool, I have been checking those out. I have heard that the full tank ones are "better" (wahtever that means) but they get in your way.

phatbooger32

its NOT needed, but i would definately recomend them to you. last year i had a low-side at willow springs and if i didnt have the traxxion dynamics tank sliders it woulda probably set my bike on fire. i was running u4.2 and once it catches its over! so i would say that $100 is nothing.

Bossgobbler

Were you using frame sliders as well? I low sided my 07 R6 at ~80 mph (at a track) and the tank never touched the ground. I was running with KR Tuned no-cut frame sliders.

I have seen videos of flaming R6's. I don't doubt the value of the sliders. Cheap insurance. I plan to run with them this year.

phatbooger32;38305 wrote: its NOT needed, but i would definately recomend them to you. last year i had a low-side at willow springs and if i didnt have the traxxion dynamics tank sliders it woulda probably set my bike on fire. i was running u4.2 and once it catches its over! so i would say that $100 is nothing.

Macon663

I've got them on my 08 and they've saved my tank once already.

From what I've seen, the traxxion ones are much better quality, albeit, more expensive, than the others (adrenaline something rather? I can't remember the name).

DFlowe

I've seen three R6's burn to a crisp at track days because of the way the tanks shaped and when one goes down; the tank ruptures and sparks and gasoline take care of the rest.

Because of what I've witnessed, I would highly recommend them to anyone with an R6.