07 R6S tranny issues???

denbsteph

So I'm railing at Barber this weekend, both days and in the 1st session after lunch in sunday I'm coming down to charlottes Web and I'm down shifting from 4th to third, hit neutral, grab the clutch again shift up to get back into gear, still neutral. I'm hearing this "clacking" sound, like the chain slapping. I grab the clutch, down shift, neutral, grab the clutch again, second gear ass end squirrels around then go off into the grass. No crash or lay down. This happened 4 times on Sunday, different session's.

Now when this happens, I'm around 12 to 14 RPM's

Clutch issues?

Tranny getting ready to take a shit?

running Synthetic Mobil Race 10/40

Bike has 9k on it.

I'm assuming stock clutch. I have put about a 1000 track miles on it so far.

Anyone had similar issues and waht was the problem.

I'll post up the sound tomorrow.

Dennis

bigkaley

Control Rider
Stock or GP shift pattern?... Any recent changes to shifter/ footpeg position?... Nothing loose at shifter linkage?

Possible that it's not making a postive shift engagement while downshifting.

denbsteph

bigkaley;259641 wrote: Stock or GP shift pattern?... Any recent changes to shifter/ footpeg position?... Nothing loose at shifter linkage?

Possible that it's not making a postive shift engagement while downshifting.
Stock shift pattern. Nothing has changed. Shift linkage was the first thing Mike Ruhe suggested, everything appears to be tight. I'm dry shifting INTO a higher gear. Always using clutch in the down shift. :dunno:

Can you be more specific about not making a positive shift engagement :notsure: what you mean here. I'm just guessing, but maybe your thought pattern got jumbled, I don't think it got typed the way you wanted it to come out :dunno:

bigkaley

Control Rider
denbsteph;259665 wrote: Can you be more specific about not making a positive shift engagement :notsure: what you mean here. I'm just guessing, but maybe your thought pattern got jumbled, I don't think it got typed the way you wanted it to come out :dunno:
Is the shifter in a position allowing you to make a complete and positive shift engagement? Since you're running standard shift pattern, having the shifter positioned too low could make it hard to make the downshift. Obviously too high would also make the upshift difficult.

Just trying to rule out the shifting part of the problem...

denbsteph

bigkaley;259684 wrote: Is the shifter in a position allowing you to make a complete and positive shift engagement? Since you're running standard shift pattern, having the shifter positioned too low could make it hard to make the downshift. Obviously too high would also make the upshift difficult.

Just trying to rule out the shifting part of the problem...

I see what you are saying now :D, nothing has been adjusted all season. I have never had an issue until Barber, very strange. Everything is tight, no loose parts, everything is snug. I'll load the video when it happened and maybe the noise will give you a hint of what is going on. :dunno:

jcrich

Your description sounds like a false neutral. You just did not move the shifter in a positive enough manner and it did not engage the gear you were attempting to get to fully. Just my opinion.

Ghost Cracker

@ Denb,

Mine does this too, same bike and year. I have noticed though that it only does it when i have pressure on the shifter proir to releasing throttle. If I keep all the movements separate but still smooth, it doesnt do it. Sound like the same thing you have?? Our bike will downshift without the clutch as long as the throttle is open and either negative or neutral, so it seems that itll slip right before you grab clutch if the pressure is on the shifter, and once that happens grabbing the clutch throws it into that false clacking neutral. But as long as I dont hit pressure on the shifter till im hitting the clutch it is fine. Good luck and hope your is simply the same problem as mine. Mine did it the first time coming off the back straight at Road Atlanta, very scary, and then a couple time at Barber coming into the chicane. I know the feeling.

denbsteph

Update on the so to speak tranny issues:

Changed oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic at the beginning of the season, no issues. Took her out beat the brakes off of her at VIR South for two days at VIR North. No issues. I'm gonna chock those issues up to human error.

denbsteph

jcrich;259744 wrote: Your description sounds like a false neutral. You just did not move the shifter in a positive enough manner and it did not engage the gear you were attempting to get to fully. Just my opinion.

Yes sir, false neutral completely human error on my part. :)

Ruhe52

Rich what was the reason you posted you were right did it have anything to do with this thread or were you randomly right and just randomly posted it? :D

By the way I would do the same thing but have been married for 20 some odd years so I have not been right in a loooooooooooong time.