180 vs 190 tire

treker8098

Any pros or cons to running a 190 rear on a GSXR 600? I know it will change the profile but will it help lean angle and contact? Or should I just stay with the 180?

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
190's are fine. With the 190 you have more tire to use before you get to maximum lean angle.

sobottka

treker8098;125504 wrote: Any pros or cons to running a 190 rear on a GSXR 600? I know it will change the profile but will it help lean angle and contact? Or should I just stay with the 180?
if you know how to maximize what your tires give you it can be better on corner exit but its a trade off with agility. it will not help with lean angle and you should just stay with a 180.
i tried a 190 michelin and it didnt work very well on my r6. i know some of the pirelli guys tried a 190 and switched back to a 180. the 190 dunlop however is designed for a 5.5" rim and works great!

treker8098

sobottka;125508 wrote: if you know how to maximize what your tires give you it can be better on corner exit but its a trade off with agility. it will not help with lean angle and you should just stay with a 180.
i tried a 190 michelin and it didnt work very well on my r6. i know some of the pirelli guys tried a 190 and switched back to a 180. the 190 dunlop however is designed for a 5.5" rim and works great!
After my first time out I knoticed that I had scuffed the rear from edge to edge. I interpret that to mean I need to work on body position and keeping the bike more upright, but wondered if the larger area would make me safer.

jtsgsxr6

treker8098;125520 wrote: After my first time out I knoticed that I had scuffed the rear from edge to edge. I interpret that to mean I need to work on body position and keeping the bike more upright, but wondered if the larger area would make me safer.
You don't need a 190, pleny of guys, myself and those leaps and bounds faster, use 180 tires on our bikes.

Also I think they're a considerable differences between a 190/50 and a 190/55 profile. Though I'm not up on what they are.

Also the rear will always scuff edge to edge before the front. They rear will actually deform its shape at severe lean angles in order to keep gripping, which is good and intended. Now if you start balling up the front completely edge to edge, and youre BP is good. Then you are starting to push the tires.

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Switched from Pirelli 180 Supercorsa Dragons to Dunlop 190 GPA's on my R6 and will be going back to the 180's. The 190 Dunlops have decent grip but the bike is definitely more nimble with the 180 rear.
The GPA's also weigh about 2 1/2 lbs more than the Pirellis which also affects the bike's ability to make transitions.

ronhix

sobottka;125508 wrote: if you know how to maximize what your tires give you it can be better on corner exit but its a trade off with agility.

the 190 dunlop however is designed for a 5.5" rim and works great!
:agree: Nailed it.

alphamale

My race bred R6 came with a 200 Dunlop NTEC 211GP.

It felt fantastic, but I switched to the 190 209GPA's to save a little cash.

TDS

We carry all the major brands of tires, but if you wanna try some of the Dunlops in a 190 size, we've got a couple of deals going right now...especially since you get 10% of your purchase comes back to you as free track credit.

For instance, three tires for $329 plus you get $33 of credit to spend at your next track day. Pretty sweet.
http://www.trackdaystore.com/Dunlop-...rs-_p_415.html

If you want a track/street tire, the Q2's are $269 plus you get $27 of credit to spend at your next track day.
http://www.trackdaystore.com/Dunlop-...Set_p_925.html

treker8098

Since I am new, I have the Pilot Power 180/55 and plan on switching to the Pilot Pure for now after the other is used.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
jtsgsxr6;125522 wrote: You don't need a 190, pleny of guys, myself and those leaps and bounds faster, use 180 tires on our bikes.

Also I think they're a considerable differences between a 190/50 and a 190/55 profile. Though I'm not up on what they are.

Also the rear will always scuff edge to edge before the front. They rear will actually deform its shape at severe lean angles in order to keep gripping, which is good and intended. Now if you start balling up the front completely edge to edge, and youre BP is good. Then you are starting to push the tires.
:agree: stick with the 180 your bike was designed for...

BigBird

Smithereens;125526 wrote: The GPA's also weigh about 2 1/2 lbs more than the Pirellis which also affects the bike's ability to make transitions.
i got my tires changed today from a set of pilot power 2ct to the 209 gpa's and they are definitely heavier than the the 2ct...now i'll have to see if the change is worth it on my zx6r...

treker8098

I am reading everthing sent! Thank you for all the feed back! Once again, the goal is to push hard in a safe manner.