1987 FZR 1000 Survivor

physicistkev

Control Rider
Carbs are not a dark art. I tuned my old gsxr for years with a set of flat slides. Are the carbs stock or a set of Mikuni/Kehin flat slides? If they are stock, this is a simple, but not easy process. Shoot me a pm and I can get you all the info you need to get the bike running properly.

Kevin

avizpls

#11-A
I'm with Kevin. Don't bail on the bike because of a tuning issue. As for jetting, unless something extreme has been done to the intake, I would revert to stock settings and work your way to perfection from there. If you were closer to pittsburgh I'd gladly take a look into it for you.

Schuber2_S

Maybe post up in the Vintage section of the WERA BBS...I know a few of them over there are well versed in the FZ's

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I agree with the above posts. Get back to stock jet sizes, but carbs need a thorough cleaning. These old FZR carbs have lots of small passageways that get clogged and do exactly what you described. My first track bike was an '88 fzr 600. There is a small pilot jet plug that needs to be drilled out, jet needs to be pulled and passage needs good cleaning. Recommend tearing carb down to nothing and running through a ultrasonic cleaner. Definitely worth the time to fix! Knowing Kev's history with old bikes he could probably walk you through it but don't hesitate to reach out if you need help.

ridemc64

Thanks for the pep talk guys! When I bought the bike I was banking on it having clogged pilot jets and that would be a simple fix. I pulled the carbs and they were almost surgically clean so I was like "rut ro" what could it be? It has a dyno jet kit installed fwiw. It will idle but won't take throttle at all. Seems to be getting WAY to much fuel. Going back to stock jetting seems like a smart move since the dyno jets aren't numbered.