1st Gen SV650

Amac955

I would recommend supporting the trackside vendor in your region. Usually their prices are competetive, and even if you pay a little more, you are supporting a business that will be there when you need them. You can always find something CHEAPER on the internet, but that doesn't mean you are getting a good VALUE. Lets say you buy tires or suspension from the internet, and a cost undercut of 10-15% of what your trackside provider can sell it for. But you're at the track and need advise on how to set up that suspension or what tire pressures to run. How can you expect them to supply their expertise for nothing? A good business relationship is a 2 way street. If it is always about the bottom dollar, expect to be happy with the price you paid and always dissatisfied with the service that follows.

My 2 cents

Blue By U

I agree with you.

But I just want to read on the different things that I can buy or add to my bike. (research)

I'm very new to the track and racing.

Amac955

In that case, the best things to spend your money on are good tires and more track time. I've ridden 3 different SVs on the track over the years and here's where I would spend my $$ if I were you.

At a beginner pace there are track-day only tires available, for the SV you might look at the Pilot Power 2CTs, Bridgestone BT-003s or Pirelli Supercorsa Pros. The 2cts are more street oriented, the 003s more track day oriented, and the Supercorsas track/race day oriented.

The best way to improve is to work on your fundamentals. Throttle control is first, steering a close second, brakes work comes a bit later, and then there is form. There is always something to work on but cover the basics first. Most of us want to buy our way to speed but it just doesn't work that way. When you think your form is starting to get good, have someone take some pics of you and you'll see how far you still have to go.

1) Suspension. A Penske shock in the rear and emulators/springs up front. I have a worked GSXR front end on my bike and I were to do it again, I wouldn't. I'm a big fan of the traxxino dynamics drop-in kit. Don't screw around with Ninja or GSXR shocks, they do not work well enough for track duty, regardless of what you may hear/read.

2) Rearsets and clipons. These will help make it easier to get in the proper form, which is much more important than HP, etc.

3) Stainless steel brake lines, good fluid, and track specific brake pads, I like Vesrah RJLs, there are other good brands out there.

3) More tires and more tracktime. Like any sport, you have to practice and practice correctly to get good. Go out every session with a specific skill, corner, etc you want to work on. Listen to the CRs, they are VERY good at what they do.

Don't mess with the motor, exhaust, or gearing. The stock gearing works at every track I've ridden and spending a $300-$1000 on a slipon/full exhaust/jetting doesn't make sense to gain 5-6 HP.

If you haven't picked up a bike, read the for sale sections on Wera.com, SVrider.com, here, the CCS forums, etc. There are a lot of great deals for around 3K, but there are also a lot of ratty, tired old SVs out there for about the same asking price. Most of the 2K and lower SVs for sale are going to cost you an arm and a let to get in to good condition, so it is better to spend the $$$ up front for one that has been taken care of.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

gkotlin

Amac955;88483 wrote: It doesn't look like it needs anything, assuming it still has the Penske on it.
My backup bike! Well. It would have been if I had money. I didn't ride the bike, but the suspension felt well setup when I was playing with it. Jordan didn't ride the bike or do anything to it that I'm aware of either. So for the off season, get the suspension freshened up and sprung for your weight. Maybe give her a tune up and a valve adjustment just to be sure. The make sure it's jetted properly.

Get some fresh tires, and save your money for track time. Learn to ride the poop out of it. I recently switched to the SV.

When setup properly, the bike gives so much good feedback.
When you get a knee down, it's easy to shift weight and save front slides.
It's easy to feel the rear end load at throttle application
When you roll on the throttle, the bike predictibly increases turning radius making it so easy to get on the throttle early. After going to an SV after riding for 3.5 seasons, I think everyone should start on SV's. They do everything well.

Pick a brand of tires, setup the bike for those tires and just stick with them. Learn to develop skill and learn the bike. The Penske is the way to go. Set it up with maximum ride height out back. It's easy on fuel and tires.

Join the SVrider.com forum. There's good info there, but a lot of people there are street people. So they're pretty convinced they're knowledgeable, but not on the track stuff.

Just enjoy!

spacemonkey

not to thread jack but I to am looking to switching to an SV (my Ducati is getting to expensive...).

Can anybody offer suggestions regarding an sv1000s vs the sv650s?

I plan on keeping it stock (save the suspension being done at traxxion dynamics) for a while so which of the two would make a better track day instrument? Which is a better learning tool? (I'm leaning towards the 650 but i just would like some input regarding this too)

thanks!

and again sorry for the thread jack.

Amac955

spacemonkey;89129 wrote: not to thread jack but I to am looking to switching to an SV (my Ducati is getting to expensive...).

Can anybody offer suggestions regarding an sv1000s vs the sv650s?

I plan on keeping it stock (save the suspension being done at traxxion dynamics) for a while so which of the two would make a better track day instrument? Which is a better learning tool? (I'm leaning towards the 650 but i just would like some input regarding this too)

thanks!

and again sorry for the thread jack.
The 650 is by far and away the better track bike of the two.

spacemonkey

Any particular reason? emphatically exclaiming ones superiority is all well and good. But I would just like somebody's reasons as to why

Amac955

spacemonkey;89192 wrote: Any particular reason? emphatically exclaiming ones superiority is all well and good. But I would just like somebody's reasons as to why
Because they are. J/K!

1000s heavier and nowhere nearly as nimble as the 650. They just don't make as good of a track bike IMHO. The 650 does not make an overabundance of HP or Torque, so you learn to RIDE and not rely on HP to cover your mistakes/deficiencies. 650s are raced quite a bit, 1000s, not so much, so the aftermarket is bigger for the 650. You will find it easier to find used parts much easier for the smaller bike. Plus all the cool guys ride SVs (I have 2!)

gkotlin

I cannot think of a better bike to learn on then the SV 650. Just get it setup with a Penske up front and your choice of fork upgrades. Put some rearsets on it. Get fresh tires. Ride the snot out of it!

They turn well
They're light
They're easy on tires and gas
They're easy to maintain
Parts are everywhere

When you learn to ride one fast. You have skills. Amac makes his boogie! They do everything well. Roll on the throttle the bike stabilizes and increases arc. Your turn in and the bike gets down to the apex. You like trail brake? It does that well too. You have to ride with your head on an SV. Your not going to pass anyone without thinking about it well before hand. You learn to ride a motorcycle, not be a motorcycle rider.