2 chains or 2 master links?

finny47

I changed my sprockets on the rear from 48 to 46 last year when I did Barber. I was surprised, but there was too much slack in the chain and had to remove links.

I'm assuming most people carry two chains for sprocket changes instead of re-using the same chain and having two master link on the same change.

Wanted to confirm this before I bought another chain.

Cooly0

I always do my chain with my sprocket changes

You should have a happy medium and take out one link so it can accomidate both sprockets being it's only two teeth, or just stay with 1 sprocket size. But I also do rivited, sounds like you are using clips, so I don't have much choice to change on the fly.

Ryan711

Uh, move your axle adjusters.

And don't be tightening that chain too much! It needs to have slack because it will tighten up when the rear suspension compresses.

Ryan711;128719 wrote: Uh, move your axle adjusters.

And don't be tightening that chain too much! It needs to have slack because it will tighten up when the rear suspension compresses.

a 2+ link difference is probably more than can be adjusted by the axle.

finny47

I was surprised, but going from +2 to stock is more than I could adjust. At Barber with -1/+2 I was hitting the rev limiter about 2-3 seconds before shutting down for the next corner. That is what prompted me to do a sprocket change. I might try changing the front from -1 to stock next time to see if that makes a difference. Wouldn't have to change chains either.

Meat

You can also just swap the front sprocket for one with one tooth less. Of course to the more skilled than me, it might mess up the suspension/drive characteristics because the line of pull (and associated anti-squat under throttle) is different for a 44 vs. 46 tooth.