2 piece leathers full circumference zipper?

thesnowgod

Hey guys. I've been working towards my first trackday. I just downloaded and read through the manual and I saw the item about the full circumference zipper.

My Teknic leather jacket zips to my Teknic pants in the back but there is not full zipper all the way around. ?? I wear full gear all the time on the street and I was sure this would be fine for a trackday until I saw this.

I'd hate to spend more money on gear. Is this rear zipper not acceptable? Can I have my gear modified someplace so it IS legal?

Thanks for reading a dumb newbie question! :doh:

gkotlin

Rear only zippers are not acceptable. As you noted in the riders manual, a full circumference zipper is required for 2 piece leathers. You won't be allowed to slide because it's your first time out. The asphalt doesn't care how many times you've ridden when you fall on it. Rental leathers may be available to you as well.

Safety is our first concern.

You can have a zipper added. If your pants or your jacket have the full zipper already, adding the other half isn't to bad. To add a full zipper to both is going to cost more. Be sure if you have a zipper added, that it's sewn through the leather or added to a seam. I wouldn't trust a zipper that was sewn to the liner only.

Anyone in the NY area know a place that does race leathers or custom leather work for this member?

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Although not local, Barnacle Bill or Spyderchick do this type of work. Not sure of their locations, BB is south, but a search on the WERA board will find them. Not sure how long it would take. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more local options. I'd think a good tailor should be able to do it. I know of one in Freehold, NJ, again, not real close to NY...

Depending on when you want to ride, the rental leathers may be an option until you have time to get a zipper put in...

Heeth

i had a zipper sewn to pants, took it to the tailor cost me $35. not sure if its a good price or not but i got it back the next day. i like to be protected when i ride

thesnowgod

Thanks guys. I'd never try to "slide" through tech. I've been doing so much reading online so I am completely prepared for this with no suprises.

My pants have the full zipper and the extra piece to sew it to the jacket. I'll need to find someone to do this for me I guess.

Rentals aren't an option. At 5'9" and nearly 250 pounds, finding a proper fit won't happen. Maybe if I was more jockey sized like some of you buff racers!! hahahaha

Thanks though. I'll keep digging and show up prepared. I promise.

thesnowgod

I noticed textiles are allowed but I'm a little confused on the definitions. Am I to assume something like a Joe Rocket Ballistic Mesh ISN'T allowed?

I've got 3 sets of textiles I rarely use at home but I THINK my JR Ballistic has the full zipper. Maybe not.

*Edit* Nevermind. I shouldn't be doing other things while I read. It clearly says airmesh isn't allowed. Sorry!

BonesDT

Wassup Thundercat! I think I recognize you from yzf600r.com.

Don't be that noob wearing textiles.

Get that zipper sewn in your leathers. Or, check out Fieldsheer. I got the 1-piece Radar. You can get them under $500. Don't worry about the investment, your first TD will not be your last.

thesnowgod

It was a brief thought! I don't even use the textiles on the street much but I kinda considered them for a first trackday. I'll be the one in the very back of the novice group. I'll tell myself I'm simply running sweep! :D

I'll get there eventually. Got a few things to get in order before I can dive in. I want all my "ducks in a row" before I get to the track. I can't get over how cool everyone seems. My biggest reason for not doing one already was simply that I know I'd never want to ride on the roads again! haha

ps. I'm sure you do recognize me I've been running that site (with A LOT of help) for years now. Drop in and see us sometime when you feel like slumming.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
So the pants already have a full zipper? You're halfway there! A good tailor should be able to hook you up. Good luck!

Blaise

Any tailor will sow the zipper for you for ~$10. I did it... they were confused why I wanted it done, but it only took a few hours.. I picked it up the following morning.

orionburn

Don't know if you still need any info on this, but try looking into a Harley/cruiser dealership as well for getting the zipper done. Lot of those places will have a guy on hand that does leather repairs. I took my pants & jacket to a cruiser shop and the guy got the zipper put in in around 20 minutes and only charged $25.

I'm surprised that your jacket doesn't already have the zipper sewn into it considering they're from the same mfg :dunno:

beac83

If you can't get it done in time, you can also rent 1PC leathers at most track days. Check out the NESBA store.