2001 R6 question

awhicker

So...

a looong time ago before I moved to Houston, TX I actually used to ride on the track (read: crash a lot) and I destroyed the muffler on my 2001 R6 titanium Akrapovic exhaust system with carbon fiber muffler.

I just want to replace the muffler, I don't really care what brand or style. In fact stainless or steel would be better because I could weld the damn thing if I had to. (I do TIG on the side).

I measure the OD of the exhaust tube to 2.06" (assuming this is metric). The slip on muffler would have to fit onto this. I can't find much info on exhaust can sizes, although I'll keep looking. Is there someone who has a stock 2001 exhaust and can measure that OD?

I can find some cheapy slip-on mufflers, just want to make sure they fit.

Thanks,

Jtfjrrider

I have a yoshimua slip-on on my 1999 R6. Will measure the OD when I get home this evening and post. Also if you are looking for cheap parts (OEM primarily) for late-model sportbikes, try this place. They are cheap and I've been happy with their service.

http://www.simpsoncycles.com/

Jtfjrrider

Upon further investigation it looks like I have a complete Yoshimura exhaust (header and muffler). Also may be race system as there is no cat? Bought the bike already built in the spring, still sorting out all I got with it.

But for what it is worth, I measure 2.428 inch OD where the muffler slips on. This probably doesn't help any though as this is not a stock header pipe. Sorry.

See my thread with parts for sale. Looks like Joyride might be able to hook you up.

awhicker

Actually, that may be good. I am measuring the pipe, not the muffler. I threw away the muffler long ago. If you took the muffler off, you may find the OD of the pipe to be pretty close to what I measured. (or if you measured the ID of the muffler)

Ofcourse that would mean 0.200" wall thickness which seems totally unlikely... That second picture is exactly the junction I'm looking at. Today I went to a salvage yard and it was amazing how many mufflers they had... that didn't hook up to the exhaust system at all like the R6. Arrgghhhh... aggravating. I was about to take a gamble and cut one off near the muffler, but upon further inspection found that the wall inside the pipe near the muffler is also acting like a muffler, with holes drilled into a sheet metal tube spaced away from the outer diameter. This is getting frustrating...

Thanks for you help though! I'll look at that guys post.

Thanks again,

Jtfjrrider

Sorry for the confusion. The OD I measured was that over which the muffler slips (directly under the spring in the second picture). I'd suggest giving Simpson cycles a call

http://www.simpsoncycles.com/

They might be able to confirm the OD measurement you are after, and may even have a cheap muffler that will work for you. Good luck.

junglelogic

I think I have a D&D slip on that came off a 2001 R6 in my garage. Throw me $5-$10 and shipping and you can have it. I don't know what size the inside or outside diameter is but I'll send it to you to get it out of my garage.