2004 yfz 600r

treker8098

Is this bike worth looking at as a street and possible track bike? Is the riding position too upright? I am inching into the sport and am looking for a bike I can ride until track days become available. I already have large cruiser bikes and am looking to participate in the other extreme.

Also have looked at a GSXR 750 but it sound like it will be harsh on rear tires and perhaps a little much at first. Looking at bikes in the area as I seem them come availalble.

Give me some advice. My goal is to keep the price small till I know my direction. Can always upgrade to a fullracer.

Thanks!

BonesDT

I have an 06 YZF600R. I don't know how educated my review could be because it is the only bike I have ridden hard. I'm still paying liability insurance, but I'm pretty much too scared to ever ride on the street anymore - so it's 95% track duty.

I love it - and I insist on pursuing my TD hobby with it. It's as porky bike with only a carb'ed 600. Parts are hard to come by/special order/custom - so if you have an issue at the track, there's a greater chance your day/weekend is over.

The position is slightly more upright than the popular track bikes. It's sort of classified as a Sport-Sport-Tourer. Rear sets, race tail, and/or clip-ons could help it. Don't forget, it has racing heritage before fuel injection and the R6 came along.

People try to convince me to swap out for an R6. I'm sure if I tried an R6 on the track, I would never want to go back to the YZF. If I total the YZF, I think I would replace it with an R6, just because I'm full-time track, and fuel injection is a ton more convenient, but for now I love the Cat and it's a beautiful bike (and at almost half the price).

A lot depends on your skill level. If your a beginner rider in general, it's a big bike to start out with. If your an experienced rider, then its a great challenge. If you can ride this thing fast, and learn how to make it your bitch on the turns, then you can ride anything.

Check out the guys at www.yzf600r.com. A lot of trackday goers there. They'll swear by the Cat (but they are bias).

LUCKEDUCK

I had a 2004 r6 and it was a blast!! very light and great for the track!!! That would be a great starter bike. For the sport scene street or track!! And u can pick them up pretty cheap now.. I sold mine for a r1 in 08 for 4500 bux!! Good luck and welcome to the other side!!!

treker8098

I was there Satruday observing how the organization functions. Looks like I will be finding a bike soon. Thanks for all the input.

Amac955

treker8098;118168 wrote: Yeah, I heard that they top out at the end of a long straight like RA
+2 for SV650. So you might give up some at the end of a long straights at some tracks, but it is a TON of fun to make it all back in 2 corners and make a pass in the 3rd.

I took my SV650 to Road America for the first time last year and by the 2nd day there were only 3-4 bikes in the I group that I couldn't keep up with. 2 or 3 of them were fast enough I just couldn't hang with them, and the 4th was actually slower than me through every corner but had just enough more hp to keep my passes from sticking.

There are plenty of guys riding SVs much faster than me. The SV will teach you the fundamentals and take you a long, long ways, if you are willing to check your ego at the door, open your mind, and learn.

SVs are also much cheaper to run. I get at least 3 weekends out of a set of tires running in the A group and I probably take them off too early. Try that with a 600 or 1000.

Whatever bike you pick, good luck, this is an awesome pasttime and you'll love it!

By the way, an SV isn't that much slower than the old YZF600. It gives up probably 10-15 hp, but is Much lighter as well and the aftermarket is very strong for SVs.

Garrison

Hey,

Fwiw I have owned 2 yzf600r's, both on street, and then the second also on the track (where it basically stayed). I love the yzf, no question about it. It's supple and kind and handles very well. The only problems with it as a track bike are lack of racing parts (plastics and rear sets specifically) and weight. The yzf weighs like 480 wet. That get's very tiring after 5 sessions of throwing it around.

On the plus side, very easy bike to ride fast. You'll feel like you're wringing its neck, and you are, but it really does reward you with fun riding.

+1 for the SV 650. You will learn to ride a track right with an SV. Just saw a CR riding one at Road Atlanta this weekend- he didn't seem to have any trouble on it.

To sum it up, I wrecked the yzf and bought an 06 cbr 600rr. I prefer her for the track.