2007 CBR600RR gearing

Discussion in 'Tech Forum' started by djhurayt, Apr 9, 2019.

1. djhurayt

djhurayt New Member

Having recently acquired a "new to me" track bike that came with a pile of front and rear sprockets, my first event on this scoot will be Road Atlanta. Can anybody suggest a starting point on what gear set I might like to start with.

2. djhurayt

djhurayt New Member

maybe just what the stock gearing is supposed to be

3. bmart

bmart Control Rider

I run in a 04 R6 and went down one in the front and up two in the back to get to 15/50. I've not had to change it for any of the tracks in the southeast.

4. meowculpa

meowculpa Member

15/43 is good for most tracks.

5. djhurayt

djhurayt New Member

hmmmm, 15/43 is significantly different and in the other direction than 15/50, ???, anybody else have any input?

6. MrFrzz

MrFrzz slow and wide

I've only ridden at Road Atlanta once, but I still have stock gearing; 16/42. I was NOT topping the bike out on the back straight and as long as I was doing my part, the bike had plenty of get up and go. The biggest areas of concern I saw were in the exit of T5. I think one morning session found me 1 or 2 gears too high and the bike was a dog coming up and out.

Was bumped into I group after lunch and ran the last 2 sessions there. Even still, I wasnt quite at the top end of the bike. I THINK I saw 153 on the speedo coming down the hill, still braking way early into T10.

I think T1 would be a crucial area as well to be in the right gear as you work back up the hill, but I struggled in T1 all day.

7. YOLOrider87

YOLOrider87 New Member

I would start stock and get a feel for it (16/42) which i believe is the stock gearing for any cbr 600 2007+, when you start changing sprockets keep in mind that it affects your speedo/drive/top end . I have several sprockets myself and enjoy +2 in the rear with stock front at most tracks in north east (summit, pitt, ncbike, NJMP). I ran a taller gearing up front for Daytona last march due to the long banking and played around with a cpl smaller sprockets in the rear. Start with a baseline and see what works for you. Another helpful website for gearing is www.gearingcommander.com.

8. djhurayt

djhurayt New Member

Wait a minute, I'm cornfused. 16/42 is the stock gearing you say, from Brad's reply I got the impression stock gearing was 16/48. ???
    Brad: was that possibly a typo, or maybe the '04 was geared significantly different than '07+, ???

9. YOLOrider87

YOLOrider87 New Member

bmarts gearing he was referring to if im not mistaken is for his 2004 yamaha r6 which is completely different from the cbr 600rr stock gearing. 16/48 is stock for that r6.... your CBR is 16/42 stock gearing. So yes they are geared significantly different r6 compared to cbr600.

10. djhurayt

djhurayt New Member

"R6" missed that part, thanks YOLO

YOLOrider87 likes this.