2007 R1 problem

thull25

Hey guys, I noticed that when I first bought my R1 the engine would start up almost immediatly. (one or two cranks) Now it has slowly been getting worse. It takes up to a dozen cranks to start but once it does it runs fine. Does anyone have any idea on what might be going on? This only happens on cold starts but never happened before. Any ideas will help! Thanks

bre9853

If you put a pipe an power commander on it, then the fuel isn't going to the engine as fast. I have the same issue sometimes it but I got it mapped an dyno. An if you haven't done that, then call this company named Sunn Battery at 904 354 4508. They can get you a quad core battery for about 60 bucks +shipping. If you have any issues after that, I don't know. I know I had to do both for my R1! If they don't ship, let me know

LUCKEDUCK

Could be the ecu.. I had mine replaced under warranty. The 07 R1 is famous for having bad Ecu.. It has something to do with the fuel mapping and mine did the same thing you are talking about until i got it replaced. One way to test it is to ride in 2nd gear at 5500 rpm for about 3 or 4 seconds then snap the throttle open and if the bike falls on its face, could be your problem too.. Just something to check..

zuluhour

LUCKEDUCK;255579 wrote: Could be the ecu.. I had mine replaced under warranty. The 07 R1 is famous for having bad Ecu.. It has something to do with the fuel mapping and mine did the same thing you are talking about until i got it replaced. One way to test it is to ride in 2nd gear at 5500 rpm for about 3 or 4 seconds then snap the throttle open and if the bike falls on its face, could be your problem too.. Just something to check..
I had this exact problem on my 07 R1. There is a range of early VINs with the affected ECU, mine was one of them. Getting Yamaha to replace it was a PITA though. However, I don't think this issue can cause an issue with extended cold cranking. Old battery, loose battery connections, old oil, valve check are all possible culprits.

Just wait til your CCT starts acting up and your bike sounds like it's oil-starved for the first few seconds after start up, yikes!

hooligan998

Just came across this thread. Did you get the problem sorted out or is it getting worse still? I have an 07 that developed the same problem you are describing. As it got worse, I started hearing more noise in the top end while running, and eventually it felt like I was running on 3 cylinders. Basically what happened is an incorrectly installed valve guide caused an intake valve to wear out and almost fail. Certain 07s and some 08s were affected by this, but the bulk of the affected bikes had a manufacture date of 02/07. I posted it up on the R1 Forum:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234200

I maintained a running thread describing of what I found and how it was fixed. You may want to check it out.

NickMcCoy

I have an '08 that takes an extra second to start than any other bike I've had. Should I be worried about any of those issues or is it normal for those years? It only has 4k on it and runs perfectly fine, it just doesn't fire on the first couple cranks.

Poper

NickMcCoy;259731 wrote: I have an '08 that takes an extra second to start than any other bike I've had. Should I be worried about any of those issues or is it normal for those years? It only has 4k on it and runs perfectly fine, it just doesn't fire on the first couple cranks.
My 08', with 4K on it, does the EXACT same thing. I have only ridden it for two trackdays, but no problems. I put a brand new battery in it too. I just hold the starter a little longer and crack the throttle a touch. Sounds like it is just the bike.