2014 AMA Schedule... What Gives?

jimgl3

JBZ1k;297554 wrote: I would agree with most of the post above. On the upside if new bikes keep going up like they have been I'll be able to get what I paid out of a bike I bought new in 08. It's getting a little crazy out there. $8 to eat McDonalds, $1.75 for a coke, even hookers have gone up from what I hear.
huh?

2007 gsxr 750 $10,199

2012 gsxr 750 $12,199

2014 gsxr 750 $12,299

you must be shoppin something besides Suzuki...

JBZ1k

Yeah, it's a Kawi and not a supersport. I got offered $1000 less than I paid for it new 4 months ago. Should have let it go but I like the bike.

physicistkev

Control Rider
The issue with the cost of sport bikes is 2 fold. One, the technology that goes into them is not cheap. Two, everything is more expensive. This is pricing most people out of the sport.

There isn't much to talk about on point two but, per point one, remember, back in the 90's when the suspension that came on the bikes utter sh*t. The early 90's caused the GSXR to put on almost 100#s over the course of 5 years. The 96 GSXR came out and all was better again, but the price difference was also there accompanying the massive redesign. It's been an arms race ever since and the price has kept pace with the technology. Some of the stock suspensions now are as good as the elite race suspensions of just a few years ago. That type of progress is not cheap.... but it is completely unnecessary. Even at a track day.

I have been riding old bikes for a long time. I run stock suspension, with the correct spring for my husky size. Other than that, their isn't much to be done. There is no need. We have this ever present desire to have the best money can buy, without even thinking if it's really necessary. How much is that quick shifter going to help you be a better rider? How much are those rearsets going to make you a better rider? I can see suspension work, a simple ignition upgrade and comfort pieces. Outside of that, I don't think the upgrades we pour money into make that much of a difference. The average rider can spend 10k in upgrades on a bike and I am not convinced that they will be any quicker (or have more fun) without becoming a better rider first.

Unfortunately, in general, we buy bikes because that have shinny things on them. The Brembo brakes on the new GSXR arene't cheap, but I don't think they add much to stopping the bike better in the hands of even an experienced amateur. Adding a new Brembo master cylinder to your braking system, probably isn't going to improve anything. It will feel "different" and that may give you more confidence to brake later and harder, but you had that ability before you bolted the part on. You just didn't try it. So much of what we do is mental and has little to do with our equipment.

Ruhe52

agree with cost of bikes etc but frankly I cannot afford an F1 car and most others cannot either, but it does get watched.

I look at it this way. AMA is in a rebuild phase to get things back on track. Doubt anyone at DMG/ AMA wants this train running in to a wall but sometimes you have to do the opposite of what you would think to get the result you want.

Not unlike go slower to go faster.
Scaled back I would hope it would make events a rare yet appealing thing that will have many turn out for. Get the crowds back to these few events and odds are we could see venues open up and purses come back. That's my hope. No interest in getting into debate about Well this manufacturer is gone or this venue and AMA cannot agree etc etc. We got what we got. Make the best of it. Come out to the races either as a rider or a spectator. Tuning out will only lead to what everyone fears. NO RR in US except club races.

Show up and support it. Hey it's what got Twinkie's back on the market!!!!!:D

physicistkev

Control Rider
But you drive a car ;). It's not an F1 car, but it is of the same basic structure, 4 wheels, engine, brakes..... and so on. That's the analogy I was after.

However, you are very correct in the go slow to go fast analogy. They are going to have to do some tactical things that might hurt more than they help, but will allow some longer term, strategic happenings to take hold. I do believe that going to see the events is the best thing the average person can do. Writing and asking your cable provider where you can see x race or y venue will also help. The big push will then need to come from DMG/AMA to get the data that shows the events are popular. Even if we all go to the races, if they don't bring that data to the media outlets attention, then it doesn't really get out that this is popular.

Maybe we need to have some NESBA people steal some Nielsen' ratings boxes...

noobinacan

i think, DMG is not in it for the racing...they're there for the money.
Its as money making game. They're shape it and form it and do what it takes to make a buck or two $$.

just like COTA.
You got this fancy new track, that was made by tax dollars.
AMA doesn't go there, weekend rider can't go there...its there to grow the green stuff :D

dickiedoo

noobinacan;297626 wrote: i think, DMG is not in it for the racing...they're there for the money.
Its as money making game. They're shape it and form it and do what it takes to make a buck or two $$.

just like COTA.
You got this fancy new track, that was made by tax dollars.
AMA doesn't go there, weekend rider can't go there...its there to grow the green stuff :D
All of the orgs are in it for the $. The racing is great, but will cease to exist should the money stop. They are all for-profit business, and shareholder value or the bottom line are their main focus.

With 5 or 6 races, no TV deal and minimal major sponsors this may be the end for DMG, but it could be the beginning of something else. If the market demands it, industrious capitalists will find a way to fill the need.

In the meantime... we should all watch some races, and focus on the sport, and not the business end. It's more fun that way. :D

raylee

physicistkev;297564 wrote: Unfortunately, in general, we buy bikes because that have shinny things on them. The Brembo brakes on the new GSXR arene't cheap, but I don't think they add much to stopping the bike better in the hands of even an experienced amateur. Adding a new Brembo master cylinder to your braking system, probably isn't going to improve anything. It will feel "different" and that may give you more confidence to brake later and harder, but you had that ability before you bolted the part on. You just didn't try it. So much of what we do is mental and has little to do with our equipment.
Good point, but going fast on a track is part physical shape and part equipment, but a lot of it has to do with mentality. Even the top top guys have a hard time overcoming machine capabilities if they don't have "confidence". The mental part of it is just as important and I think machinery upgrades can be justified in that fact alone. If chintzy anodized pro-bolt case cover bolts help me to cut time, I'll replace 'em every track days.

Sorry for the tangent to this thread.

I know I'll be doing my best to try and support the AMA this season.

windblown

AMA road racing is facing some serious headwinds on multiple fronts and with no Television deal they might as well put a fork in it when it comes to meaningful sponsorship money.

I own and ride multiple bikes for street & dirt, and do an occasional trackday. I'm also an AMA Competition Plus member. I can't recall the last motorcycle race I watched on the tube or the last club race I spectated at off the top of my head. With no AMA race at VIR I'm unlikely to see or attend any of the AMA road racing.

If AMA wants crowds or eyeballs watching the TV they have to have a draw. Bitching about the success of other sporting venues won't increase participation in the AMA. Folks will not show up or watch on TV in meaningful numbers unless they are entertained. I'm more entertained to watch a Motorcycle race than any other sporting venue but I'm just not really into watching sports in general.

Some folks might say my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not one of the faithful, LOL. I'd say the fact that I'm not enticed to join in and watch says a lot because I'm way more involved in the sport than the average American is. If they aren't drawing me in what's the odds of them drawing in the average American? Slim and none I say.