2017 BMW S1000RR "Clip-On" question...

CaseyAlbert

Due to a lapse in judgement, I am looking to replace my OEM handlebars with "clip-on" bars. Does anyone know if the aftermarket clip-ons will come with "pre-drilled" holes that secure both the OEM throttle/switch assembly on the right, and the OEM combination switch assembly on the left?
I saw one on ebay that did have a predrilled hole, but don't see in anything advertised.
Thanks in advance!
Casey Albert

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Unless the ones you're looking at are bike specific aftermarket, I'd bank on you having to drill. Not hard to do, measure twice & drill once... but in that order. :)

- fellow lapse in judgement dude.

CaseyAlbert

Unless the ones you're looking at are bike specific aftermarket, I'd bank on you having to drill. Not hard to do, measure twice & drill once... but in that order. :)

- fellow lapse in judgement dude.
Thank you sir! On the BMW, I have to drill through the entire bar. I'm replacing with OEM this time..... I need a drill press and will get to it after Barber in November!

Kruizen

Control Rider
I would drill both sets of holes on my spares, left and right side holes so my spares were interchangeable in the event they were needed. Free hand it’s very simple especially if you have stock ones to measure the hole depth from the end of the bar.

They do need to be filled typically. I just used a drill on ground. I made the hole slightly larger and no issues. Also I put the hole slightly up to leave a bit of bar past the end of the grips so they don't get ruined in a minor get off.

This was easy to do so you should not have to over think it.

CaseyAlbert

They do need to be filled typically. I just used a drill on ground. I made the hole slightly larger and no issues. Also I put the hole slightly up to leave a bit of bar past the end of the grips so they don't get ruined in a minor get off.

This was easy to do so you should not have to over think it.
Gotchya! Thanks for the info. I already ordered a "new" oem set on ebay. I think I will get some aftermarket clip-ons over the winter. Any recommendations are most welcome.
Last year, I had a problem with my engine cutting out for no apparent reason.... Long story short; bought a GS-911, took it to BMW once(no fix), finally traced the issue to the bolt that holds the throttle assembly in place on the handlebar was completely unscrewed. I'm thinking it was a grounding issue. Just lucky to find it.... No problems since.