20mm or 25mm fork kit ?

noobinacan

I've been struggling with trying to figure out if 20mm or 25mm for the fork cartridge.
Racetech recommends 25mm...some people run 20mm.

Is it just a preference thing ? or is 25mm really better than 20mm kit ?
Can anyone point me to any reading material on this stuff pls...if you have any links.

thanks
:notsure:

BigBird

seriously though, i heard it more of a preference thing. supposedly no one has seen much difference between the sizes.

alocker

I think the only 20mm cartridge is the AK-20. The rest are either 25mm or 30mm. What is your concern? If the extra cash for the 25mm is worth it over just a revalve?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You may want to look/consult with our NESBA partner Ohlins. They're running some fantastic specials on their suspension products and services about now.

Last year I bought an R6 and while I wasn't really wanting to spend the cash at that moment, they're forks/shock special they were running was just too good to pass up.

crewnutz

The Racetech 25mm kit is very nice

But I have also run just as fast on the Ohlins 20mm on my buddies 08 R6 as I did on my 07 ZX6 with a 25mm kit

Either kit will be good and more than most people need...

ronhix

THE BETTER THE BIKE IS SETUP, THE EASIER IT IS TO RIDE - REGARDLESS OF HOW FAST OR SLOW YOU GO.

Look at your wallet and ask yourself this question - "how easy do I want my bike to ride?" Now, compare that level of want with what is in your wallet and buy the best you can afford.

Here's the bottom line on suspension. The goal of the suspension and bike setup is to keep both tires on the ground at all times. The better the forks and shock, the more this goal will be reached.

EVERYONE has an opinion about it, and the more opinions you get over the Internet the more confusing things can be.

The other thing to consider is the relationship side of this equation. No matter how good the suspension components, they need to be setup right. Buying a used set forks off the WERA BBS and saving a couple hundred bucks is not going to help you setup your bike. Being able to pick up the phone and call someone who can and will help you IS PRICELESS!!

Honestly, just call Ohlins. They are a NESBA sponsor. Talk to them and tell them what your goals are. Tell them your current pace, your weight, bike specifics, etc. Ask them for their recommendations. If they can help AMA guys win championships, they can help you and I as well. Go with what they say. I've been working closely with them for several years and they have never steered me wrong. I have been able to progress nicely with their help.

Ohlins USA
828-692-4525 ext. 309
ask for Mike (Thermosman) Fitzgerald

noobinacan

crewnutz;159744 wrote: The Racetech 25mm kit is very nice

But I have also run just as fast on the Ohlins 20mm on my buddies 08 R6 as I did on my 07 ZX6 with a 25mm kit

Either kit will be good and more than most people need...
Thanks Brandon...that helps!

ronhix;159757 wrote:
THE BETTER THE BIKE IS SETUP, THE EASIER IT IS TO RIDE - REGARDLESS OF HOW FAST OR SLOW YOU GO.

Look at your wallet and ask yourself this question - "how easy do I want my bike to ride?" Now, compare that level of want with what is in your wallet and buy the best you can afford.

Here's the bottom line on suspension. The goal of the suspension and bike setup is to keep both tires on the ground at all times. The better the forks and shock, the more this goal will be reached.

EVERYONE has an opinion about it, and the more opinions you get over the Internet the more confusing things can be.

The other thing to consider is the relationship side of this equation. No matter how good the suspension components, they need to be setup right. Buying a used set forks off the WERA BBS and saving a couple hundred bucks is not going to help you setup your bike. Being able to pick up the phone and call someone who can and will help you IS PRICELESS!!

Honestly, just call Ohlins. They are a NESBA sponsor. Talk to them and tell them what your goals are. Tell them your current pace, your weight, bike specifics, etc. Ask them for their recommendations. If they can help AMA guys win championships, they can help you and I as well. Go with what they say. I've been working closely with them for several years and they have never steered me wrong. I have been able to progress nicely with their help.

Ohlins USA
828-692-4525 ext. 309
Thanks Ron...

j_fuggin_t

i would say 25mm kit, the 20mm kit is just a replace of stock components. I myself will be using an ohlins kit for the front & rear of a new project i'll be picking up :D

ronhix;159757 wrote: THE BETTER THE BIKE IS SETUP, THE EASIER IT IS TO RIDE - REGARDLESS OF HOW FAST OR SLOW YOU GO.

Ohlins USA
828-692-4525 ext. 309

Yes, yes and yes! I can't speak highly enough about what Mike (Thermosman) has done for my progression in this sport. In hindsight, I feel very fortunate to have been "steered" to him by a vet friend (former national champ) back when I didn't know any better.

There is no substitute for the experience he has accumulated helping top AMA teams win championships. Anyone can take a "tuning" course and hang a shingle. If your serious about finding pace, YOUR BIKE NEEDS TO WORK FOR YOU
(not you working to make the bike work).

Suspension, and geometry for a specific tire, is everything. This is not the area to try and save a couple of bucks. YMMV :D