211 GPA Dunlop Slicks question

Turbo329

Anyone here running the 211 GPA slicks KR448 and KR449?

Are you having to use more wheel weights than normal when balancing these tires?

I just bought a set and had to use 6 weights on the front wheel (125/80) and an ungodly 15 weights on the rear wheel (200/55). As a point of reference, for my last set of tires I used DOT Race tires (another brand) and didn't need any weights on the front (120/70) and only 2 weights on the back (190/55)

...forgot to mention that we used a digital wheel balancer.

I also noticed that these tires felt considerably heavier than the others I've used in the past although I don't have any actual weight figures.

Turbo329

We tried that and it actually got worse. It went from 2.25 to 2.75 on the digital balancer. These also have a valve stem locator. So we put it back and just balanced it at 2.25.

...there's one tidbit of info that I left out. My rear rim was repaired but it was measured to be within spec. No material was added or removed from the rim.

I'm wondering if I just got a bad tire or if it's related to the carcass.

Turbo329

noobinacan;236534 wrote: that set I have didn't require that much,,...
I'll check in a bit and tell you exactly what I got.
Thanks.

Any info or light you guys can shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

nk140

Turbo329;236533 wrote: We tried that and it actually got worse. It went from 2.25 to 2.75 on the digital balancer. These also have a valve stem locator. So we put it back and just balanced it at 2.25.

...there's one tidbit of info that I left out. My rear rim was repaired but it was measured to be within spec. No material was added or removed from the rim.

I'm wondering if I just got a bad tire or if it's related to the carcass.
I have to use a ton of weights on my 600rr rear rim. I think I us 7-8 everytime I change/flip the tire with the UK slicks. The front isn't too bad maybe 1-2 weights max.

Turbo329

nk140;236536 wrote: I have to use a ton of weights on my 600rr rear rim. I think I us 7-8 everytime I change/flip the tire with the UK slicks. The front isn't too bad maybe 1-2 weights max.
Yeah, my front needed 6 this time and that's never been damaged. When I ran the Bridgestone R10 I didn't need any weights on the front.

What size rear are you using? The GPA that I'm running is 200/55. 15 weights just seems out of this world!

nk140

Turbo329;236537 wrote: Yeah, my front needed 6 this time and that's never been damaged. When I ran the Bridgestone R10 I didn't need any weights on the front.

What size rear are you using? The GPA that I'm running is 200/55. 15 weights just seems out of this world!
That is a ton for the front. I am running the UK GP slicks in 195/65.

cooker1

Stop relying on a computer and do it the right old school way and see what happens sometimes we think technology is better when it's NOT !!!!!!!!!!!

JRA

The USA Dunlops are new, but I've run four or five sets of them I don't recall needing more than the average number of wheel weights to balance any of them front or rear. I have occasionally run across UK Slicks that needed more weight than others, but it was never a problem. If you want to use the fewest weights find the heavy spot of your wheel (it's rarely at the valve stem) and line the dot up with that.

Matt

I've seen honda 600rr rear wheels needs typically more weights than other wheels.

The dunlops are heavier, and sometimes do require more weight. As said earlier, if it bothers you and you have time, turn the tire on the wheel a bit.

nk140

Matt;236641 wrote: I've seen honda 600rr rear wheels needs typically more weights than other wheels.

The dunlops are heavier, and sometimes do require more weight. As said earlier, if it bothers you and you have time, turn the tire on the wheel a bit.
600rr rears do take more weights. My buddy change a customer's tire and it required 9-10 weights.

Turbo329

Well guys I think I found the answer. My rim has a very small dent in it that causes the wheel to be out of round. However, there is no visible left/right deflection. ...also, the tire is in fact heavier so it would probably require more weight anyway.